Proposal: TOR-PHI 6 Player Deal Giroux and Nylander the main pieces

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Giroux is a great player, don't get me wrong.

In a cap world, a 28 year old center I don't think could fetch a return like that. I'm trying to think of same comparables who have been traded... Seguin? He was younger and wasn't as established, but he didn't return near that... Thornton?

True, it's a very tough deal to make and only a handful of teams would be able to take his contract without having to add a significant cap dump. Seguin and Thornton were different situations though because both players were forced out of town whereas Philly is more than happy with Giroux.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Good to see most Toronto fans don't think you can acquire a star of the league for very, very little.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Giroux is a great player, don't get me wrong.

In a cap world, a 28 year old center I don't think could fetch a return like that. I'm trying to think of same comparables who have been traded... Seguin? He was younger and wasn't as established, but he didn't return near that... Thornton?

Thornton was 3 established pieces with lower ceilings - Brad Stuart who at the time was probably thought of as a fringe 1st pairing dman, Marco Sturm who was a 2nd line winger and Wayne Primeau who was a bottom 6 centre

Make it a hypothetical back to Philly....let's say they were looking to acquire Alex Pietrangelo

they trade:
Ivan Provorov
Robert Hagg
Phillipe Myers
two 1st rounders, at least one of which is likely top 10

seems like too much to me

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
You need way more to get giroux. But he is someone the leafs shouldn't even be targeting. So terrible value for flyers but I don't see why either team would do something like this

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
True, it's a very tough deal to make and only a handful of teams would be able to take his contract without having to add a significant cap dump. Seguin and Thornton were different situations though because both players were forced out of town whereas Philly is more than happy with Giroux.

Thornton was 3 established pieces with lower ceilings - Brad Stuart who at the time was probably thought of as a fringe 1st pairing dman, Marco Sturm who was a 2nd line winger and Wayne Primeau who was a bottom 6 centre

Make it a hypothetical back to Philly....let's say they were looking to acquire Alex Pietrangelo

they trade:
Ivan Provorov
Robert Hagg
Phillipe Myers
two 1st rounders, at least one of which is likely top 10

seems like too much to me

Exactly. These deals are just way too unrealistic. Philadelphia would be rightfully asking the world, and the Leafs if they were for whatever reason targeting Giroux - wouldn't want to absolutely gut their team in the process. Probably why trades like this never happen.

A more realistic trade would be a version of Subban/Weber Hall/Larsson -- unfortunately for the Leafs, they don't have a single player that matches Giroux's value.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Exactly. These deals are just way too unrealistic. Philadelphia would be rightfully asking the world, and the Leafs if they were for whatever reason targeting Giroux - wouldn't want to absolutely gut their team in the process. Probably why trades like this never happen.

A more realistic trade would be a version of Subban/Weber Hall/Larsson -- unfortunately for the Leafs, they don't have a single player that matches Giroux's value.

Probably why we should just wait...chances are we will in a few years;)

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Tomorrow everyone will covet Nylander. Tomorrow nobody will covet Giroux (considered a liability). PHI will have 2 talented centers and a promising right handed D. This is hardly a terrible proposal. Toronto risk a lot.

Is this one of thede moments when it's better for everyone to just abandon the thread completely?

If Nylander becomes anything nearly as good as Giroux, which is unlikely, it would be a massive win for Toronto.

If Nielsen turns out to be line MDZ, it would be a win for them as well.

Kadri for Mason solves none of Philly's problems. Instead, it creates one.

How in god's name you can say that Toronto takes ANY sort of risk here? Get over it, that proposal is beyond horrible.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Probably why we should just wait...chances are we will in a few years;)

Oddly enough, when I was going through Leaf players in my head, I thought of JVR, Rielly, Nylander, Marner... totally forgot Matthews was a Leaf. Still can't believe something good happened to us lol. Even though I was discussing him like 10 minutes ago. But yeah, Giroux is a proven 1C -- Matthews as of now, probably doesn't have that sort of value to most teams.

Helistin

Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Leafs don't need Giroux. I heard from well informed unbiased source that Leafs are the best at everything. And they have more money than you or me.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
Trying to replace HfboardsUser as the Leafs fan that makes bad proposals?

That deal is horrible for the Flyers, and Matthews for Giroux is bad for us.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Value-wise sure, doesn't make sense for the leafs though, our roster outside of Giroux isn't ready. We're better off seeing if Nylander is the real deal

You're really not better off at all though. Giroux is only 28 and 5+ years away from a drop off in play. Contrary to popular HF beliefs, players aren't useless once they hit 30.

Absolute best case scenario is Nylander ends up as good as Giroux (unlikely). When you have a chance to get a top 10 forward under 30 for a massive underpayment you take it no questions asked.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
I can't believe Toronto fans would say no to this. I guess I've seen it all really.

Hextall would be no more if he actually did this.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
I can't believe Toronto fans would say no to this. I guess I've seen it all really.

Hextall would be no more if he actually did this.

They're acknowledging the current state of the team and it appears most are uncomfortable with a go for it move at this point.
I agree 100% with that line of thinking. If the sites were set at an 18-22nd overall team then I would imagine there would be a high acceptance rate.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Tomorrow everyone will covet Nylander. Tomorrow nobody will covet Giroux (considered a liability). PHI will have 2 talented centers and a promising right handed D. This is hardly a terrible proposal. Toronto risk a lot.

I'll check back tomorrow, August 11th 2016, to see if nobody is coveting Giroux because we all consider him a liability.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Pretty bad deal for the Flyers, but the Leafs shouldn't target a guy like Giroux in the first place. They are developing quality forwards (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, etc) what they really need is defense. Their defensive prospect pool is bad (Yes, it is bad). Rielly is good but will not good enough to anchor a Stanley cup winning defense. If they are trading Nylander it should be for someone to help bolster their defense.

NitHeel

Kimmo Forever
May 20, 2009
Reading, PA

I'm going to stay in bed then because tomorrow sounds like it's gonna be all sorts of f***ed up...

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Nielsen wouldn't even be the best RHD prospect on the Flyers. Arguably third best.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
So the Leafs were the worst team in the league, yet the OP,wants to speed up the rebuild.

What about the flyers who are rebuilding and are a playoff team? Did they all the sudden want to trade away their #1 C, top pairing Dman, and #1 G.

Not to mention, this deal has a 10 milion difference in cap hits.

Philly easily says no.

ForSpareParts*

No one is even talking about the Kadri piece in this deal.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
This is a poor deal for Philly. Nylander is likely a top line winger in his prime, Kadri is an average 2nd line now, which is likely the beginning of his prime and Nielson is a long shot Dman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad