Proposal: TOR-PHI 6 Player Deal Giroux and Nylander the main pieces

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
TOR decides that their winning window is sooner. PHI sees their winning window as later.

To TOR
Giroux
Del Zotto
Mason

To PHI
Nylander
Kadri
Nielsen

PHI gains a talented playmaker (Nylander) for many years, center depth for many years, and a future Right handed D.

Toronto gets their top C while Matthews develops at 2C. Del Zotto plays with Rielly on the top line. TOR gets their back-up goalie.

It's too much for Toronto to give up.

Giroux was great.......about 4 years ago. He's been on a steady decline ever since, and is now 28. His numbers will never be going back up into the "great zone"...they will be going down, further and further away from it.

Philly fans who think they should a ton more for someone who has peaked and is now downward trending for the last four straight years, are NUTS.

Toronto needs to keep Nylander at all costs. He will be a beast, and very soon too. And Kadri and Neilson are both valuable as well.

NO THANKS.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
You have to look at 3, 4 and 5 years from now. thats when we need another #1 center. He also is overpaid.

Giroux is still more likely to be a #1 center than Nylander even 4-5 years from now. HF just really loves their new shiny toys.

I am sorry but your center depth doesn't look all that good past Giroux. I am sure you're waving your arms in the air with rage, but an addition of Kadri and Nylander is what makes this deal a sweatened one.

This proposal begs the question: "where will Giroux be in 2 years?" and I believe I have generously offered an answer/solution.

Elite #1 center, elite shutdown center, and now a prototypical 4th line center. Great depth? No. But boy do you really not know what you're talking about.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
One of the worst trade proposals I have ever seen, Nylander's absolute ceiling is Jordan Eberle.

Do you trade Eberle and Kadri for Giroux?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Giroux was great.......about 4 years ago. He's been on a steady decline ever since, and is now 28. His numbers will never be going back up into the "great zone"...they will be going down, further and further away from it.

Philly fans who think they should a ton more for someone who has peaked and is now downward trending for the last four straight years, are NUTS.

Toronto needs to keep Nylander at all costs. He will be a beast, and very soon too. And Kadri and Neilson are both valuable as well.

NO THANKS.

3 of his last 4 seasons have been 48 in 48, 86 and 73 points (with last season being a down year).

What part of that is great? Really hoping you're not expecting better out of Nylander..

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Tomorrow everyone will covet Nylander. Tomorrow nobody will covet Giroux (considered a liability). PHI will have 2 talented centers and a promising right handed D. This is hardly a terrible proposal. Toronto risk a lot.

You're right, its not a terrible proposal. Its horrible.

Tomorrow everyone will want a better trade proposal.

Last edited:

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
TOR decides that their winning window is sooner. PHI sees their winning window as later.

To TOR
Giroux
Del Zotto
Mason

To PHI
Nylander
Kadri
Nielsen

PHI gains a talented playmaker (Nylander) for many years, center depth for many years, and a future Right handed D.

Toronto gets their top C while Matthews develops at 2C. Del Zotto plays with Rielly on the top line. TOR gets their back-up goalie.

That package barely gets you G, why do you think the Flyers would give away more? This offer is insulting to be honest.
I know everyone love Nylander, but he's strictly a playmaker with no guarantee to be a Cornerstone Center. Flyers have one of the best Playmaking and Defensive centers in Giroux, doubtful the ever move him to be honest.

Mr Hockey*

Giroux is still more likely to be a #1 center than Nylander even 4-5 years from now. HF just really loves their new shiny toys.

Giroux is already in decline and making 8 mil for the next 5+ years. Look at the Kessel deal, thats what you would get for Giroux, seriously. ;)

• 2013-14 - 86 pts
  • 2014-15 - 73 pts
  • 2015-16 - 67 pts

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Tomorrow everyone will covet Nylander. Tomorrow nobody will covet Giroux (considered a liability). PHI will have 2 talented centers and a promising right handed D. This is hardly a terrible proposal. Toronto risk a lot.

I still don't covet Nylander (though he is a good prospect, for sure), and Giroux still isn't a liability. Did i wake up in an alternate universe?

...Is there anybody out there?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Dear jeebus! Leafs get worse now and in the future.

I don't care what the perceived value on Kadri is at this point. IMO he's edging towards elite to near elite 2C (two-way shutdown C).

This is like offering us Couturier + Gostisbehere for Kessel.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

NO THANKS.

Last 4 years....Giroux is 6th in NHL in points.

If you actually watched the Flyers, you would know that Giroux is just as good as he was a few years ago. The team...and more importantly....the defense is worse. Then add on that Giroux is playing much more defense than he was before because outproduce bottom 6 has needed to be sheltered and have been getting offensive minutes.

Example: PKane plays tons of offensive minutes because Kreuger plays crazy defensive minutes. Ask Chicago fans, they will tell you. Well for Philly, our bottom 6 suck so bad that we have had to play or forwards backwards. Our top 6 get the defensive minutes....while still trying to score, while our bottom 6 get offensive minutes, while trying not to get scored on.

It's no surprise that the Flyers moves this offseason were removing Gagner, Umberger and White from the bottom 6 and adding Weise and Gordon to it.

Dear jeebus! Leafs get worse now and in the future.

I don't care what the perceived value on Kadri is at this point. IMO he's edging towards elite to near elite 2C (two-way shutdown C).

This is like offering us Couturier + Gostisbehere for Kessel.

Except Couts is better than Kadri, Ghost is better than Nylander, and Giroux is MUCH better than Kessel.

But yeah....about the same...lol.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Giroux is already in decline and making 8 mil for the next 5+ years. Look at the Kessel deal, thats what you would get for Giroux, seriously. ;)

• 2013-14 - 86 pts
  • 2014-15 - 73 pts
  • 2015-16 - 67 pts

Aha!! There it is!!! The Giroux is in steady decline due to his point totals argument!!

You and the poster a few posts above OBVIOUSLY do not watch the flyers or have any idea as to what they are talking about regarding the team nor Giroux. Giroux has been forced, along with Couturier, to take on all of the hard and defensive minutes because our other two lines had to be completely and inexplicitly sheltered. He's just as good as he ever was, he most certainly not in a steady decline, at least not yet.

Mr Hockey*

Aha!! There it is!!! The Giroux is in steady decline due to his point totals argument!!

You and the poster a few posts above OBVIOUSLY do not watch the flyers or have any idea as to what they are talking about regarding the team nor Giroux. Giroux has been forced, along with Couturier, to take on all of the hard and defensive minutes because our other two lines had to be completely and inexplicitly sheltered. He's just as good as he ever was, he most certainly not in a steady decline, at least not yet.

duelling #1 C's, is quite common in the NHL ... look at Sid

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

• 2013-14 - 86 pts
  • 2014-15 - 73 pts
  • 2015-16 - 67 pts

Don't use the winky face when you are showing you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. It's embarrassing for you.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's

Elite #1 center, elite shutdown center, and now a prototypical 4th line center. Great depth? No. But boy do you really not know what you're talking about.

So, right off the top, I also think the OP is terrible, and hope you guys see not all leaf fans are on board with that.

I just want to point out that I don't think anyone expects Nylander to be our 1C in 4-5 years. So the guy Giroux would have to outperform is Matthews. And he still might, but would you still bank on it, at that point in the future? It's not a sure thing IMO.

Anyway, I agree there are a ridiculous number of Nylander proposals lately, and that some people are overvaluing him. Personally think he looks like he's going to be really good, but has a lot to prove

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
So, right off the top, I also think the OP is terrible, and hope you guys see not all leaf fans are on board with that.

I just want to point out that I don't think anyone expects Nylander to be our 1C in 4-5 years. So the guy Giroux would have to outperform is Matthews. And he still might, but would you still bank on it, at that point in the future? It's not a sure thing IMO.

Anyway, I agree there are a ridiculous number of Nylander proposals lately, and that some people are overvaluing him. Personally think he looks like he's going to be really good, but has a lot to prove

You can be a 1C without being a team's 1C. Sid/Geno, Thornton/Couture, etc. The comparison to Nylander comes from people thinking that Giroux's play will suddenly drop off a cliff because he's 28.

Matthews may very well outperform Giroux before the end of the contract. Only time will tell though.

Mr Hockey*

Don't use the winky face when you are showing you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. It's embarrassing for you.

Those are some good points you make ... :facepalm:

I am thinking COUTURIER faced the other teams top lines and not GIROUX ... but I could be wrong ;)

kb

Aug 28, 2009
This trade is the exact opposite of what both teams need, setting aside the question of value. Neither team does this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad