Value of: Top-6 LW to Washington

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I suspect the Caps will keep their first and (Winnipeg's) second rounders this year. They spent heavily in terms of futures in trades last season. Their deadline additions this year are likely going to come from within, as players heal up and/or come off the Covid lists.

As for some of the proposals, I wouldn't take Drouin for free. Giroux would be excellent but will command a very high price (if he gets traded at all). I don't see the aging Caps trading any of their better prospects. Perhaps Alexeev?

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I suspect the Caps will keep their first and (Winnipeg's) second rounders this year. They spent heavily in terms of futures in trades last season. Their deadline additions this year are likely going to come from within, as players heal up and/or come off the Covid lists.

As for some of the proposals, I wouldn't take Drouin for free. Giroux would be excellent but will command a very high price (if he gets traded at all). I don't see the aging Caps trading any of their better prospects. Perhaps Alexeev?
Depends on what the mandates are from ownership or Ovie are in regards to winning another title. Washington still has the assets in terms of futures they can sell off if they absolutely have to empty their clip. Depending on what the team involved they can trade back salary in the deal in order to acquire cost certainty similar to the Mantha deal. That said it is more sensible to look inwards and not spend a lot to find a stopgap for only this season.

But in principle I would agree with this sentiment if I didn't want to see Ovie get another Cup. If it was me, I'd empty my clip and give him the best chance while he's still playing at just an insane level. Is McMichael or whoever you acquire in the mid to late 1st round more likely to lead to another Cup? Probably not, even though I like McMichael a lot.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don't see the need. Backstrom is coming back so they have more flexibility now so expect something like this when the rest of the forwards are healthy:

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Wilson
McMichael - Backstrom - Oshie
Sheary - Eller - Protas
Hagelin - Dowd - Hathaway
Malenstyn, Sprong

2 LW looks severely overmatched in a playoff scenario to me….right now, and you back that up with Sheary…..they could use a little depth.

Reactions: um

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
2 LW looks severely overmatched in a playoff scenario to me….right now, and you back that up with Sheary…..they could use a little depth.

Yea, they are going to need a player. I can see Laviolette being content with Sheary and Protas in 2 of those 3 middle 6 wing spots. McMichael doesnt get that feeling at all. They got Raffl for a 5th last TDL. Something similar on the Eller line with Sheary on the 2nd seems like what they would do.

Of course I suppose its possible that Mantha might be back

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Caps have a policy that they dont trade 1sts back-to-back drafts. And they are happy with the in-house developement. They are likely to see the Mantha situation through and consider him as in-house acquisition at the TDL, while youngsters can keep developing.

if mantha isnt back, i dont think they go crazy. They also have to keep eye on the goalie situation.

Heres my shortlist;

2nd + for
Domi
Radulov

carbage pin look ups for ”free” (late pick)
Brassard
MaJo
Maybe Jarnkok?
(I know nobody likes these, but hey- its makes atleast some sense for what they need)

Dont see Caps going for high end rentals. Especially with the COVID-risk. Who knows they even can finish up the season..

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Anyone who is quality is gonna cost, less for a rental yes, but still cost.
People say this every deadline then they are widely disappointed with the returns on their players.

Not every team is the Lightning and can afford to just toss around Good Picks and Prospects when they’re favorites to win anyway.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Anyone who is quality is gonna cost, less for a rental yes, but still cost.

The question is quality what? The Capitals will have a top 6 of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Wilson, Oshie and Sheary. While the Caps might be interested in buying a player to upgrade Sheary, they won't have pp1 ice time to fill. They dont need a player to carry a line or provide the trigger on a line. They don't need a star player. They dont want more than a rental either. They have Mantha.

The only way that they get Giroux is if Giroux says he will waive his NTC for Washington only, the Caps could afford that reduced value but they aren't going to buy a player in any kind of open market of that level otherwise.

Last season the Caps got Raffl for a 5th. You would think a 2nd and a 3rd would buy them a better rental.

Reactions: StephenPeat

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
I dont think so for this reason. The Caps dont have ice time and role for a player that costs a first round pick or more. Giroux shoots right which is a plus. The Caps just dont have the minutes for Giroux to play is normal role. He is overkill and would probably be wasted expense.

That said. Imagine Giroux with Eller. Thats a mismatch for everyone one

It'd be fun to watch and maybe he would waive it for a shot at a cup.

Philly is only one point out of a wildcard spot at the moment so making the call won't do anything but get hung up on. Of course should it become obvious they're not making the dance the vultures will swarm to pick clean the carcass and the bidding war begins. So imagining is probably all we'll get.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Depending on how much they want to spend, and how things shake out... Ilya Mikheyev?

Young, cheap, fast as heck and can play a solid 2 way game.
Has shown some flashes of playing well with skilled players, and a few Russian legends may help him take the next step.
Why would Toronto help a potential conference rival ? The price would be super high.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It'd be fun to watch and maybe he would waive it for a shot at a cup.

Philly is only one point out of a wildcard spot at the moment so making the call won't do anything but get hung up on. Of course should it become obvious they're not making the dance the vultures will swarm to pick clean the carcass and the bidding war begins. So imagining is probably all we'll get.

The Flyers would never sell while in the playoff race. Thats for sure

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Copp would solidify that left side and brings a solid defensive game with some offensive upside. Plays up and down the lineup and can play centre if needed.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
From Buffalo, Victor Olofsson 50% retained ($1.5m) for 2022 1st and any cap necessary to make him fit.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
From Buffalo, Victor Olofsson 50% retained ($1.5m) for 2022 1st and any cap necessary to make him fit.
Even as a pretty clear 20-20 guy, I don’t see Olofsson as worth a 1st as a Pure Rental. Retention puts it in the realm of possible if not likely but I don’t see it for the Caps, in particular, unless there’s a plan to extend (which I don’t see) and a pretty significant salary offset, the likes of which Buf would not like (and I’m not even sure the Caps have).

I definitely don’t see the Caps paying that without some of these particulars.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Even as a pretty clear 20-20 guy, I don’t see Olofsson as worth a 1st as a Pure Rental. Retention puts it in the realm of possible if not likely but I don’t see it for the Caps, in particular, unless there’s a plan to extend (which I don’t see) and a pretty significant salary offset, the likes of which Buf would not like (and I’m not even sure the Caps have).

I definitely don’t see the Caps paying that without some of these particulars.
He's an RFA when his contract expires this year. Extension is your issue. If you choose not to extend him, flip him when the playoffs are over and recoup some of your costs.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He's an RFA when his contract expires this year. Extension is your issue. If you choose not to extend him, flip him when the playoffs are over and recoup some of your costs.

The Caps are filling Mantha's spot for the playoffs. Thats all. Getting an rfa doesn't make a lot of sense. Next?

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Yea. Nah. Not going that way. Pretty confident.
Anyone can be had for the right price … likelihood of Miller resigning after next season is slim to none. Plus he will be on the wrong side of 30.

He’s been arguably our best player and is thriving with boudreau, no question about that.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Anyone can be had for the right price … likelihood of Miller resigning after next season is slim to none. Plus he will be on the wrong side of 30.

Vancouver hired Bruce to win now. If they want to win now, they arent going to asset manage their way out of one of their best players. They will keep Miller for next season.

Meanwhile, the Capitals are looking to fill the spot of an injured player that has term on his contract. They would have to trade someone without leverage to clear cap space. As you suggest a quality player with another year on his contract is going to cost more than a rental. It doesnt make sense to pay more(on both ends) for a player you cant keep when you can just get the rental that fits the needs.

I am sure there is a market for Miller. Just not with the Caps, unless its Mantha going the other way

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Vancouver hired Bruce to win now. If they want to win now, they arent going to asset manage their way out of one of their best players. They will keep Miller for next season.

Meanwhile, the Capitals are looking to fill the spot of an injured player that has term on his contract. They would have to trade someone without leverage to clear cap space. As you suggest a quality player with another year on his contract is going to cost more than a rental. It doesnt make sense to pay more(on both ends) for a player you cant keep when you can just get the rental that fits the needs.

I am sure there is a market for Miller. Just not with the Caps, unless its Mantha going the other way
You don’t need to explain the Canucks direction to me. Our plan is to be a consistent playoff team/ cup contender. Rutherford has stated it could be a couple year retool and wants to get younger and faster. Can read between the lines there. I am not saying I want to trade Miller as he’s been our best forward. But (big but) if you can get a vrana like haul for him, you do it.

Anywho I can respect that capitals may not make the best trade partner too.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You don’t need to explain the Canucks direction to me. Our plan is to be a consistent playoff team/ cup contender. Rutherford has stated it could be a couple year retool and wants to get younger and faster. Can read between the lines there. I am not saying I want to trade Miller as he’s been our best forward. But (big but) if you can get a vrana like haul for him, you do it.

Anywho I can respect that capitals may not make the best trade partner too.

I think that is what I am saying. I am not a day to day Canuck watcher. Caps fans almost all love Bruce, though. He could win a cup he would be the best coach of this era.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
People say this every deadline then they are widely disappointed with the returns on their players.

Not every team is the Lightning and can afford to just toss around Good Picks and Prospects when they’re favorites to win anyway.

That depends on what you think quality is. Top 6F do return solid value at the deadline but you are talking about guys who are fringe top 6 guys and more like middle 6 assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad