Value of: Top-6 LW to Washington

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stan Galiev

Sasha Minor
May 15, 2015
Forsberg would be the dream add if Mantha is done for the regular season. I’m sure he would cost a first 1+ and I’m not sure the Caps would/should do that. Honestly if Vegas needs to clear salary I’d take a look at Dadonov if he can play LW. I also like the idea of Rakell. Don’t think either would cost too much.

GossomeRwing

Aug 6, 2005
Could see Claude Giroux being a fit. Think he also plays both wings as well as centre.

I would be THRILLED if the Caps could make this Happen
GIROUX is a face-off beast
He has won 61% of his 401 face-offs
Imagine the Capitals special teams play if they controlled 61% of those face-offs
He leads his team with 11 goals and 14 assists for 25 points in 29 games
he also has 25 hits in 29 games (just saying)
He is still a great player

I think I would cry for joy if he became a Cap even if it was just as a rental
I know I would buy his jersey as soon as I could

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Giroux makes some sense if he calls that shot. The Caps won't trade their 1st. They can't afford an open market price. Giroux probably wants to play someplace an easy flight back to home. He could just about commute to DC.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Horrible

Washington adding the 1st is straight DERP
Thé difference between Wash 1st and Habs 2Nd will be about 5 spots. Let’s not make it seem like it’s robbery. Drouin, without the Montreal media stupidity, will excel in a second line role. He’s talented and still producing on a shit team. He helps the Caps in a win now mode, and Lapierre may help with the rebuild. That said I’m a little hesitant in Lapierres production this year. His last few games he’s heated up. I hope he keeps it up. Atm the Habs have some of the best Q players in their system.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Thé difference between Wash 1st and Habs 2Nd will be about 5 spots. Let’s not make it seem like it’s robbery. Drouin, without the Montreal media stupidity, will excel in a second line role. He’s talented and still producing on a shit team. He helps the Caps in a win now mode, and Lapierre may help with the rebuild. That said I’m a little hesitant in Lapierres production this year. His last few games he’s heated up. I hope he keeps it up. Atm the Habs have some of the best Q players in their system.

Have you seen who the Capitals have drafted late in the first round in recent years? The Caps aren't to give that up. Win now mode in Washington means managing the roster and the salary cap to keep a competitive team under Ovechkin. They are not going to go for broke and saddle Ov with 3 years of a lottery team. If only because he needs a good team, to break that record and that record cements the Capitals franchise status

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Horrible

Washington adding the 1st is straight DERP

I mean the Habs 2nd is like 5-10 spots back in the draft, it really isn't that big of a difference. Remove round names and just use pick numbers. Swapping the first and 2nd isn't DERP. You could say not moving Lapierre for Drouin but that first ain't much with the 2nd going back.

Lapierre +25th-32nd

For

Drouin at 2.75 million + 34th over all

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Among guys likely to be available as top players on expiring deals, Giroux is likely my top target. But, as Tex alluded to, if acquiring him becomes a widely open bidding war, the Caps won't (and IMHO shouldn't) win it.

Reactions: txpd

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I mean the Habs 2nd is like 5-10 spots back in the draft, it really isn't that big of a difference. Remove round names and just use pick numbers. Swapping the first and 2nd isn't DERP. You could say not moving Lapierre for Drouin but that first ain't much with the 2nd going back.

Lapierre +25th-32nd

For

It is a big difference for the Capitals. I give you Kuznetsov and Carlson as examples and there are others. The Caps do much less well anywhere in the 2nd round. Not a chance they do that for Drouin.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
It is a big difference for the Capitals. I give you Kuznetsov and Carlson as examples and there are others. The Caps do much less well anywhere in the 2nd round. Not a chance they do that for Drouin.

5 spots is a big difference?

If thats the case and Lapierre isn't an issue

Lapierre + Caps 2nd

For

Drouin at 50% (2.75)

Random schmoe

Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
You do realize right that over the past 5 seasons Drouin is 173rd in points per game, right? He's not nearly good enough to command a prospect like LaPierre, much less adding a 1st or 2nd round pick to that.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Among guys likely to be available as top players on expiring deals, Giroux is likely my top target. But, as Tex alluded to, if acquiring him becomes a widely open bidding war, the Caps won't (and IMHO shouldn't) win it.
Even in a non-wide open bidding war he's going to return a 1st.

If Caps don't want to spend a 1st, it's doubtful they are going to get a legit 2nd line wing. At best they'll get a guy who is a tween who maybe can be 3rd wheel. Even then you are talking about a 2nd plus I'd say.

Reactions: StephenPeat

Random schmoe

Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019

If Caps don't want to spend a 1st, it's doubtful they are going to get a legit 2nd line wing. At best they'll get a guy who is a tween who maybe can be 3rd wheel. Even then you are talking about a 2nd plus I'd say.
You're probably right, though I would wonder if something like Winnipeg's 2nd, Alex Alexeyev, and a lesser prospect would do it. Or even a guy like Leason. Again, assuming there would be only be 2 or 3 teams in the mix. But I certainly wouldn't get into the "1st, 3rd, and good prospect" territory.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

That is very likely true. My take is that they are satisfied with Sheary. The Caps 2nd line is more like an alternate first line with Backstrom and Oshie there. They dont need anything more than a support player. There isn't any pp1 time available and pp2 doesn't play much. Lets just be clear about what the Capitals need. They need a solid 6. 1 thru 5 are already well settled.

Giroux is overkill. Giroux has control of where he plays. If he says he wants to play in Washington, they wont have to spend a 1st. I think that is possible but not the most likely scenario.

Edit: The Capitals got Michael Raffl, skating nearly 15mins per game in Dallas this season for a 5th round pick. I would think that a 2nd rounder or a 2nd and a 3rd rounder would buy a better player. I might be wrong though

Last edited:

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

Lapierre +25th-32nd

For

5 spots is a big difference?

If thats the case and Lapierre isn't an issue

Lapierre + Caps 2nd

For

Drouin at 50% (2.75)

You both pretty obviously missed the point. Lapierre IS NOT available for ANY TRADE around Drouin.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
That is very likely true. My take is that they are satisfied with Sheary. The Caps 2nd line is more like an alternate first line with Backstrom and Oshie there. They dont need anything more than a support player. There isn't any pp1 time available and pp2 doesn't play much. Lets just be clear about what the Capitals need. They need a solid 6. 1 thru 5 are already well settled.

Giroux is overkill. Giroux has control of where he plays. If he says he wants to play in Washington, they wont have to spend a 1st. I think that is possible but not the most likely scenario.

Edit: The Capitals got Michael Raffl, skating nearly 15mins per game in Dallas this season for a 5th round pick. I would think that a 2nd rounder or a 2nd and a 3rd rounder would buy a better player. I might be wrong though
I’m on the fence here but in a very specific way.

If Giroux costs a 1st and a Top Prospect (Lapierre and McMichael should be non-starters), I have No Doubt the Caps ARE OUT.

If the cost is a 1st and a nominal asset (or two) I could see it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’m on the fence here but in a very specific way.

If Giroux costs a 1st and a Top Prospect (Lapierre and McMichael should be non-starters), I have No Doubt the Caps ARE OUT.

If the cost is a 1st and a nominal asset (or two) I could see it.

I dont think so for this reason. The Caps dont have ice time and role for a player that costs a first round pick or more. Giroux shoots right which is a plus. The Caps just dont have the minutes for Giroux to play is normal role. He is overkill and would probably be wasted expense.

That said. Imagine Giroux with Eller. Thats a mismatch for everyone one

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
You both pretty obviously missed the point. Lapierre IS NOT available for ANY TRADE around Drouin.

The post I replied too talked about the first being the issue and I also mentioned if Lapierre is the issue then we should just say that, you don't need to reply in an impolite manner.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Btw, what's up with JT Miller, there were some rumors about him and Horvat back in november?

Was going to suggest Miller is he’d be a great addition.

The only reason Miller’s name has come up as is because he’s an UFA after next season and he’ll be 30 years old at that time which is quite a bit older than the rest of the core. The Canucks will also be hard pressed to re-sign all three of Miller, Horvat and Boeser so one may have to go. It’s assumed that he’ll potentially be shopped either at the deadline or at the draft but if the team continues to play well they may just keep him.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
The post I replied too talked about the first being the issue and I also mentioned if Lapierre is the issue then we should just say that, you don't need to reply in an impolite manner.
Honestly given the Caps and Habs respective positions and Drouin’s contract, BOTH are the issue.

Drouin isn’t worth a 1st to the Caps.

Drouin isn’t worth Lapierre to Anyone.

Impolite is thinking that Drouin is worth a mint because he’s had a passable 20 Game stretch.

No one on earth believes Drouin to be worth Lapierre other than Habs fans and the original post I responded to and YOUR POST double down on the base concept that the Caps would ADD to Lapierre for Drouin which is asinine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad