Value of: Top-6 LW to Washington

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
You comprehending it as negative when I'm saying to reinforce it cause it's more important in the playoffs. First you say I said Weak and now you say I'm Negative about it. I can't control your comprehension, not will I be held responsible for it. If you want me to not reply, don't reply back. But if you reply, I'm not backing off cause "you say so" :laugh:. That's comical.

I said what I said, and I stand firm. It's about reinforcing the D to be better and top notch
You’re the one who came into the thread saying the Caps should target D. You’re the one who when asked why has said “because you have to go through Tampa” and that’s the only argument you have presented. You mention the Caps should add a physical top 4D who can pitch in on offense. They have that in Orlov, who literally is a very physical player who provides offense. You are the one who said they should add a Savard type like Tampa last year. Savard had a grand total of 5 points in 34 games with Tampa and was a -8.

At least provide some kind of argument for why Defense should be Washington’s priority or just admit you don’t want a lot of their games and move on. Multiple Caps fans have all told you the same thing.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I'm sure Detroit would love a word with you.....

img_2044.jpg

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
No thanks on Kubalik or DeBrusk.

Both guys are RFAs, and both will be too expensive next year for likely 3rd line roles on the Caps.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Didn't say the D was weak. That's a spin. I said I would reinforce it cause D is very important in the playoffs and you might not have the same opinion after the playoffs are done. You probably have Tampa to go through so you will need both offense and Defense.
We’ve BEEN THERE and DONE THAT Before. We can do it again.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
He's been out with shoulder surgery. But he did pretty well for Detroit when he was healthy.
My question was rhetorical.
Detroit fans trying to spin the Vrana/Mantha trade into some kind of robbery are avoiding the realities on the ground of which Vrana’s health (or lack thereof) and contract are but one.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
My question was rhetorical.
Detroit fans trying to spin the Vrana/Mantha trade into some kind of robbery are avoiding the realities on the ground of which Vrana’s health (or lack thereof) and contract are but one.
I mean...they only got another first rounder and a 2nd rounder which netted them Nick Leddy. But health concerns weren't the reasons why the Caps traded him. He never elevated his game to be enough (consistently) to warrant his next contract asking, which they then just gave to Mantha.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I mean...they only got another first rounder and a 2nd rounder which netted them Nick Leddy. But health concerns weren't the reasons why the Caps traded him. He never elevated his game to be enough (consistently) to warrant his next contract asking, which they then just gave to Mantha.
Yeah Leddy sure seems to be helping. Wings are still not in Playoff position so I think anointing the trade a robbery is just spin.

I suppose there’s the hope that Cossa might be something but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

This “robbery” looks more like a PUSH and possibly an all-around Dud despite the fact that Detroit fans seem to think they somehow spun gold from yarn. I don’t get it personally.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Yeah Leddy sure seems to be helping. Wings are still not in Playoff position so I think anointing the trade a robbery is just spin.

I suppose there’s the hope that Cossa might be something but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

This “robbery” looks more like a PUSH and possibly an all-around Dud despite the fact that Detroit fans seem to think they somehow spun gold from yarn. I don’t get it personally.
Detroit fans, understandably, know that Mantha has no consistent level of effort in his game and that his lack of effort was really hurting the team's chances on a nightly basis. That lack of consistent effort has been the same problem with Washington, as well. So when you can get someone who has similar or better offensive skills (Vrana) in a trade...you think, "Great! Two players that needed a change of scenery getting that change of scenery." But to get a 1st and a 2nd which then get parlayed into a better goaltender than what Detroit has anywhere in their prospect pool AND a capable top 4 d-man...Even if both players play up to their potential, Yzerman wins that trade because of Leddy's impact on solidifying the bottom 4 D and act as a stabilizer/mentor for a future franchise defenseman in Seider.

Yzerman's moves are never in mind for short term gain. That Detroit is a better than .500 team at this point of the season is MILES beyond where they have been in the last couple of years. Combined with the prospects they have coming and any signings or trades they make, their future looks very promising.

So while, yes, the Vrana/Mantha deal, taken as a 1-for-1, doesn't create a short-term winner for either team, the trade was more about setting up the Red Wings for 3-5 years from now as well as jettisoning a player who was both getting in the way of the team's progress and someone who was realistically never going to be there when Detroit starts competing for Cups. Even if they got a different version of Mantha, they got a player who is two years younger than Mantha. And sometimes that makes all the difference for a young team. And the picks have already helped them, and could help them again if a veteran team wants Leddy for a Cup run at the deadline, which could get Detroit a potential first rounder, which then becomes yet another piece ready for action when the time come for Detroit to compete.

Last edited:

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Caps don't need wingers. For depth the rest of the season and going into the playoffs, they need a vet center that can fill in if their top 3 centers miss time. Also they need vet goalie depth, that has playoff experience. If the vet center can help winning face-offs, then that is a bonus.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Namestnikov for WPG's 2nd 2022. He's been great this year with limited ice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad