Value of: Top-6 LW to Washington

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That depends on what you think quality is. Top 6F do return solid value at the deadline but you are talking about guys who are fringe top 6 guys and more like middle 6 assets.

I think its pretty obvious that the Capitals dont need a first line winger. They have a famous 1LW and they have 2 pretty well know 1RW players. Its widely known that their top 6 #6 is out with a shoulder surgery. So, top 6 means 2nd line which could also mean middle six because its both.

This is the spot that has been filled by Burakovsky, Vrana, and Mantha. Its filled right now by Sheary. Ideas?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think its pretty obvious that the Capitals dont need a first line winger. They have a famous 1LW and they have 2 pretty well know 1RW players. Its widely known that their top 6 #6 is out with a shoulder surgery. So, top 6 means 2nd line which could also mean middle six because its both.

This is the spot that has been filled by Burakovsky, Vrana, and Mantha. Its filled right now by Sheary. Ideas?

What are you looking for? A rental for this year only? Or are you willing to consider all options? What are you willing to pay in futures? 1st or 2nd rounder?

Personally, If I was the Caps, I'd be after improvements on D.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What are you looking for? A rental for this year only? Or are you willing to consider all options? What are you willing to pay in futures? 1st or 2nd rounder?

Personally, If I was the Caps, I'd be after improvements on D.

The Capitals have no need for defense. I am unsure why you would think they need that? They are 2nd in shots against/game and 7th in goals against average.

I am fairly confident that the Caps are willing to pay a 2nd and a 3rd or a 2nd tier prospect(that has played in the NHL this season) in exchange for a pending ufa middle 6 left wing two way player

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
That depends on what you think quality is. Top 6F do return solid value at the deadline but you are talking about guys who are fringe top 6 guys and more like middle 6 assets.
What about the current Washington Capitals screams to you that they need a Top 6F?

This is the subtle point that is being missed here. The Capitals do not need an Every Game Dynasty Top 6 F. They need a Stop Gap Middle 6 F that can replace Mantha and provide reliable secondary scoring. They’re not going to offer 1st/2nd Rd Picks or Top Prospects for this Need.

And if you think the Caps need D more than a Good/Decent Middle 6F then you clearly misread the Caps.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What about the current Washington Capitals screams to you that they need a Top 6F?

This is the subtle point that is being missed here. The Capitals do not need an Every Game Dynasty Top 6 F. They need a Stop Gap Middle 6 F that can replace Mantha and provide reliable secondary scoring. They’re not going to offer 1st/2nd Rd Picks or Top Prospects for this Need.

And if you think the Caps need D more than a Good/Decent Middle 6F then you clearly misread the Caps.

The Capitals only have 1 defenseman with a reputation among the average NHL fan. They dont know who Orlov or Jensen are. They have no idea who Fehervary is. They might not even think highly of Carlson

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Capitals have no need for defense. I am unsure why you would think they need that? They are 2nd in shots against/game and 7th in goals against average.

I am fairly confident that the Caps are willing to pay a 2nd and a 3rd or a 2nd tier prospect(that has played in the NHL this season) in exchange for a pending ufa middle 6 left wing two way player

Things change in the playoffs. I would look for upgrades cause team D should not be overlooked. I think you loose against Tampa if you don't improve the D. In the playoffs, you are facing a higher level of play and better teams.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Talk to me after the playoffs end about the Caps D.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
You do realize right that over the past 5 seasons Drouin is 173rd in points per game, right? He's not nearly good enough to command a prospect like LaPierre, much less adding a 1st or 2nd round pick to that.
so that would put him between 5th and 6th on every team in the league on average . that's not really terrible . he'd basically be the first guy up on your second power play unit

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Things change in the playoffs. I would look for upgrades cause team D should not be overlooked. I think you loose against Tampa if you don't improve the D. In the playoffs, you are facing a higher level of play and better teams.

You think? You still arent saying why you think the Caps are pretenders on defense. Which players arent up to it?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You think? You still arent saying why you think the Caps are pretenders on defense. Which players arent up to it?

Talk to me after the playoffs. It will make more sense then ;). It's similar to the Avs or Oilers thinking they can win with a cheap and young "hot" goalie.

You don't agree but I would shoot higher with the team D strategy. Caps have a very deadly PP and offense and I think improvements are required on D if you think you will knock out Tampa

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You aren't saying anything. You say the Caps need defensemen and we ask why and you say "because"

I'd be wasting my time cause you already have your mind made up. Like I said, talk to me after the playoffs cause I think you will be more open to it. Will it be offense that holds the Caps back or defense? :sarcasm:. Or do they win with what they have and adding a "middle 6LW" type asset?

From the outside looking in... if I was trading futures for upgrades, I would try to add a top 4D stud who plays physical and can chip in on offense here and there. Someone with maturity and experience. Kind like how Tampa added Savard. You would have said the same thing if someone said Tampa should improve their D for the playoffs last year. Giordano or Chiarot type guys off the top of my head

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'd be wasting my time cause you already have your mind made up. Like I said, talk to me after the playoffs cause I think you will be more open to it. Will it be offense that holds the Caps back or defense? :sarcasm:. Or do they win with what they have and adding a "middle 6LW" type asset?

From the outside looking in... if I was trading futures for upgrades, I would try to add a top 4D stud who plays physical and can chip in on offense here and there. Someone with maturity and experience. Kind like how Tampa added Savard. You would have said the same thing if someone said Tampa should improve their D for the playoffs last year.

Thats weak, dude. What you sound like is a guy that doesn't know who the Capitals having playing defense past maybe 1 of them and aren't really sure what they are good and not good at. That you aren't paying attention that much to the team is signaled by the comment about the Caps deadly power play, which today is ranked....28th. Now, maybe I am wrong, but your refusal to offer any specifics past the playoffs are hard and you need to be better doesn't look good.

So.....try.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Thats weak, dude. What you sound like is a guy that doesn't know who the Capitals having playing defense past maybe 1 of them and aren't really sure what they are good and not good at. That you aren't paying attention that much to the team is signaled by the comment about the Caps deadly power play, which today is ranked....28th. Now, maybe I am wrong, but your refusal to offer any specifics past the playoffs are hard and you need to be better doesn't look good.

So.....try.

It won't be weak after the playoffs and we look back then. Continue on with your LW search. Piece out

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Since the Cup win, the Caps haven't been a desperate team. They aren't pushing all their chips into the middle of the table as they did in the past. They spent a lot last season to get a player who would be around for a long time in Mantha. They saw him as a top-six regular for multiple seasons, which justified the cost. After making that move, they likely will not pay a similar cost this year. Their deadline haul is not likely to be on the same level.

They have a defense that is under the radar but is playing the way that the coaching staff wants them to play, and they are doing it really well to an impressive level of depth. Unexpectedly, even Kempny looks good after spending a year battling injury; he might only be their No. 8. The kids have impressed across the board too. So the defense is in better shape than it might appear from the outside looking in.

Other than that, the team has a great record, the most points in the league (48) despite missing key guys all year, and they are on pace for about 115 points. They're good. The one area where they'd probably like an upgrade is another top-six wing if Mantha can't go. Not a star, though. It might be a 20-goal guy who might only cost a third, perhaps a second rounder. Without having won a Cup with this team, the outlook might very well be different. I don't think they want to deal their first rounder for a big-time add, though. They are trying to win but also trying to replenish the farm. A lot of the core is 35+ now. The team is aging out, and the GM needs to think about the transition to the next generation in a few years' time. They do not plan to squeeze every last drop from this group and then bottom out.

Reactions: Chupacabra08

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
so that would put him between 5th and 6th on every team in the league on average . that's not really terrible . he'd basically be the first guy up on your second power play unit
My point wasn't about where he would fit. It was about whether or not he was worth trading a prospect like Hendrix LaPierre for.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
We can talk about when the Playoffs ended for your team. Right about Puck Drop on the 2021-22 Season.

Sound about right?
Sometime in November if I’m remembering correctly.

Wait, wait. Your fanbase thinks Ben Chiarot is a 1D.
I can see why you don’t think the Caps have a competent D Core, you have No Idea what One Looks Like.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Do you see Drouin and Laviolette happy? Laviolette says the defense comes first and the offense comes from the defense. I am skeptical. The Caps pp2 almost never plays. When it does they dont have a hole for a left shot player. Given the needs they have spending a first or a prospect like Hendrix doesn't make a lot of sense.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
For his career more than 1/3 of Drouin’s point have come on the PP. No one in their right mind considers paying a 1st or Top Prospect to play a guy who is Power Play-dependent on their PP2.

A cogent argument could be made that Drouin is a liability at ES, Laviolette would probably actually kill him.

From the outside looking in... if I was trading futures for upgrades, I would try to add a top 4D stud who plays physical and can chip in on offense here and there. Someone with maturity and experience. Kind like how Tampa added Savard. You would have said the same thing if someone said Tampa should improve their D for the playoffs last year. Giordano or Chiarot type guys off the top of my head
There it is.
Because he helped Montreal get past Tampa so much, right?

Also both those guys are 30+ and neither has won shit, kinda like this generation of Montreal Canadiens.

Last edited by a moderator:

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Clearly you aren’t watching Caps games a lot of you think their defense is weak. Their defense has plenty of organizational depth. Fehervary-Carlson
Orlov-Jensen
TvR-Schultz
Kempny, Irwin and Cholo as depth options when everyone is healthy. Plus, we have recently seen Lucas Johansen and Alex Alexeyev step in when called upon and do as well as they could for an NHL debut.

The Caps main issue come playoff time is going to be depth scoring and making sure their forwards are as healthy as possible. Adding another winger who can provide offense would be substantial considering Mantha is out long term and will be a question mark come playoff time.

I would even argue that goaltending would be more of a valuable upgrade over the defense. Adding an older mentor to Samsonov and/or Vanecek would be extremely valuable. Im talking a legit goaltender not a Craig Anderson like last year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Clearly you aren’t watching Caps games a lot of you think their defense is weak. Their defense has plenty of organizational depth. Fehervary-Carlson
Orlov-Jensen
TvR-Schultz
Kempny, Irwin and Cholo as depth options when everyone is healthy. Plus, we have recently seen Lucas Johansen and Alex Alexeyev step in when called upon and do as well as they could for an NHL debut.

The Caps main issue come playoff time is going to be depth scoring and making sure their forwards are as healthy as possible. Adding another winger who can provide offense would be substantial considering Mantha is out long term and will be a question mark come playoff time.

I would even argue that goaltending would be more of a valuable upgrade over the defense. Adding an older mentor to Samsonov and/or Vanecek would be extremely valuable. Im talking a legit goaltender not a Craig Anderson like last year.

Didn't say the D was weak. That's a spin. I said I would reinforce it cause D is very important in the playoffs and you might not have the same opinion after the playoffs are done. You probably have Tampa to go through so you will need both offense and Defense.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Didn't say the D was weak. That's a spin. I said I would reinforce it cause D is very important in the playoffs and you might not have the same opinion after the playoffs are done. You probably have Tampa to go through so you will need both offense and Defense.
Not really a spin, you’ve been talking negatively about their D and really haven’t backed off. Your only argument is how they’ll have to go through Tampa. Fehervary has fit right in next to Carlson and only gets better every day. The Orlov-Jensen pairing has been very, very good for a few seasons now. Jensen is playing arguably the best hockey of his life and Orlov is criminally underrated throughout the league. Only real weak spot is Schultz. He’s played solid for a third pair but he makes a good chunk of money for what he provides and that money could be useful other places.

Secondary scoring has always been an issue come playoff time for Washington. Ovechkin has carried the load the past few seasons while others have been either injured or passengers. The reason Washington won the cup in 2018 is due to increased secondary scoring. Guys like DSP, Eller and Connolly providing bottom 6 scoring to go along with the big boys up top.

Ovechkin is an animal but is only getting older and if his goalscoring does dry up, the Caps are in a lot of trouble. Mantha most likely isn’t back till late in the season and won’t necessarily be reliable given a major shoulder surgery. That’s why fans would like to add some more goalscoring. Defense would be nice but I’d rather spend dir forward help.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not really a spin, you’ve been talking negatively about their D and really haven’t backed off. Your only argument is how they’ll have to go through Tampa. Fehervary has fit right in next to Carlson and only gets better every day. The Orlov-Jensen pairing has been very, very good for a few seasons now. Jensen is playing arguably the best hockey of his life and Orlov is criminally underrated throughout the league. Only real weak spot is Schultz. He’s played solid for a third pair but he makes a good chunk of money for what he provides and that money could be useful other places.

Secondary scoring has always been an issue come playoff time for Washington. Ovechkin has carried the load the past few seasons while others have been either injured or passengers. The reason Washington won the cup in 2018 is due to increased secondary scoring. Guys like DSP, Eller and Connolly providing bottom 6 scoring to go along with the big boys up top.

Ovechkin is an animal but is only getting older and if his goalscoring does dry up, the Caps are in a lot of trouble. Mantha most likely isn’t back till late in the season and won’t necessarily be reliable given a major shoulder surgery. That’s why fans would like to add some more goalscoring. Defense would be nice but I’d rather spend dir forward help.

You comprehending it as negative when I'm saying to reinforce it cause it's more important in the playoffs. First you say I said Weak and now you say I'm Negative about it. I can't control your comprehension, not will I be held responsible for it. If you want me to not reply, don't reply back. But if you reply, I'm not backing off cause "you say so" :laugh:. That's comical.

I said what I said, and I stand firm. It's about reinforcing the D to be better and top notch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad