Ken Holland rumored to join Utah front office

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
He was the director of scouting. Holland didn’t ascend in Detroit because he had the wrong ideas. He helped turn around the talent, then after Devellano and Bowman ill-fated thoughts on trading Yzerman he gained more power before fully gaining control outside of the three gm setup. He hired Hakan Andersson and Jim Nill. His best talent was honestly surrounding himself with good people.

Hey people can continue this strange narrative. The guy is in the HHOF for a reason. Like I said people can say the game has passed him by, but he very clearly is one of the smarter hockey minds of my lifetime. So to get advice and to have as a sounding board isn’t a bad thing. This rumor doesn’t have him as an ultimate decision maker. It has him in the kind of role Devellano assumed in Detroit for a ton of years.

I absolutely agree his best talent was surrounding himself with good people and scouting. I'm not denying his talents. His worst traits are trades and cap management though. And in a cap era that can be devastating to a team

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yeah I cant imagine being as old as Holland/Lou/Poile and having made the money that they did in their careers and actually wanting a job lol

These guys are very wealthy. I can not understand why you would want to be part of NHL management team in late 60s to 80s.
Only some one who never had money would this baffling.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Maybe so, human greed is associated with wealth

These guys arent far from their graves and still wanting to work in managerial roles (Lou and Poile especially).

Rich people just operate in bizarre manner
As Mic Jagger said "are we suppose to go sit on a rocking chair on the porch"
It's great that these guys are still running teams in their senior years.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Yeah I cant imagine being as old as Holland/Lou/Poile and having made the money that they did in their careers and actually wanting a job lol

These guys are very wealthy. I can not understand why you would want to be part of NHL management team in late 60s to 80s.
Depends on the role. Lots of "advisors" work remotely for significant parts of the season and don't put in anywhere near the hours.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Which has nothing to do with your terrible statement.
Lidstrom retired 12 years ago.

You claim he was gift wrapped and he wasn't. He was part of building the teams, first as a scout, then as Director of Amateur Scouting for 7 years and 3 years as Assistant GM prior to getting the GM job. Pretty sure he was part of the group choosing who to draft as head of the department...and later on as GM.

One can argue the misses in later half of his Detroit-career, but has nothing to do with your statement.
Drai/McD was the definition of gift wrapped, not his players with DRW

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I still can’t believe his son was the assistant GM

Next level nepotism
I’m not monitoring assistant GM’s but when the oilers announced a mutual parting

Too much of this in the league.

If I owned a team and a member of the front office said can we hire my son, I’d be like yeah ok, but not to do with hockey operations

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Gift wrapped?
He was part of the scouting staff drafting Lidstrom and he drafted Datsyuk.
Could they have won another couple of cups, sure. Were they more than competitive for other longer runs? Yes. But gift wrapped geez, head out of toilet please.

How'd that scouting (and everything else) go after the lockout

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Smith is relatively new to hockey so there's a chance this a "resume" hire i.e. sees that he was the GM of multiple cup winners and his now former team just made the finals.

Wouldn't be surprised if hes going to be the liaison between Bill Armstrong & Smith.
Holland first order of business:
1) draft a generational player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad