Confirmed with Link: Tony DeAngelo on unconditional waivers in second buyout window.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Anyone complaining about this is crazy, there was no market for TDA and now he got put on waivers. Why have a player which such character issues and not in the long term plans on the club? This move helps open a roster spot for another player and helps the move towards another high draft pick next season...instead of a 14th overall pick.
I’d argue this move makes it less likely they get a high pick

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
Torts bent over backwards to make TDA work, on paper, all he needed to do is improve his defense from bad to mediocre and it would have been a good trade - TDA is that talented offensively. Instead, he regressed from bad to terrible. There is something really wrong with TDA, he simply couldn't master basics, like positioning. No one was asking him to be a shut down defender, just don't mind fart on a regular basis. TDA is the poster child for why raw offensive talent is overrated and hockey IQ is underrated.

TDA did play his best hockey in a sheltered role, paired with Seeler, a CYA defender - the role Carolina saw him fitting.
But he simply couldn't play with anyone else or higher in the lineup.

I don't think Torts' issue was personal, it was professional frustration with a kid who simply refused to be coached.
And on a young team, it's definitely addition by subtraction.

No one ever could have predicted that TDA sucks and was made to look passable by his usage and partner in Carolina. Or that he would implode on this shitshow of a team.

Once again, you are the smartest guy in the room.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
There are some issues with Torts’ coaching style. However it’s not his fault that Hayes and TDA are gone. Their play got them moved out. Hayes is cooked. He doesn’t have the legs to play center ice any longer and didn’t want to move over to wing. If he had stayed here, with Coots returning and Frost becoming the 2C, Hayes would have become a very unhappy camper. This club doesn’t need him being a whiny ass in the room like he was when his buddy, Yandle, was benched. He’ll probably have a good start next season for about twenty games and then start to crater.
TDA’s play spoke for itself. He played his ass out of town creating issues as he left. There’s are reasons that he’s been bought out twice. It’s him, not the coach.
There’s a lesson here for the Flyers: Don’t pick up Ranger rejects!

Reactions: BlackandOrange

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Oh, there's been far worse, GMs who traded multiple 1st rd picks to spin their wheels then have the team go into a death spiral.

So....what? Chuck traded one 1st? (As far as I can tell) That makes him better? How many other picks did he trade for nothing? The guy reeked of incompetence, pure and simple.

Hexy was a dick, and definitely a card carrying member of the "Earn it kid!" bullshit mentality that permeates hockey. But I never thought, wow, this guy is a straight up moron.

I wasn't around for the Homer years, I caught the tail end, but from what I've heard, at least it was unpredictable and fun. He was at least going to do something wild.

Chuck's version of wild is trading ONE! first for a known 3rd pair guy, re-signing him for top money, and trading a 2,3,4 for a guy bought out a year later. This guy sucked worse than Bill O'Reilly's teleprompter. Stop it.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
So....what? Chuck traded one 1st? (As far as I can tell) That makes him better? How many other picks did he trade for nothing? The guy reeked of incompetence, pure and simple.

Hexy was a dick, and definitely a card carrying member of the "Earn it kid!" bullshit mentality that permeates hockey. But I never thought, wow, this guy is a straight up moron.

I wasn't around for the Homer years, I caught the tail end, but from what I've heard, at least it was unpredictable and fun. He was at least going to do something wild.

Chuck's version of wild is trading ONE! first for a known 3rd pair guy, re-signing him for top money, and trading a 2,3,4 for a guy bought out a year later. This guy sucked worse than Bill O'Reilly's teleprompter. Stop it.
Hexy isn't a moron, he's just stubborn. His loyalty to Hakstol got him fired, but at least with him, we weren't in cap hell and we didn't have a boatload of shit contracts. He was likely pressured from those above him not to do a complete rebuild, which I bet he wanted to do.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Torts bent over backwards to make TDA work, on paper, all he needed to do is improve his defense from bad to mediocre and it would have been a good trade - TDA is that talented offensively. Instead, he regressed from bad to terrible. There is something really wrong with TDA, he simply couldn't master basics, like positioning. No one was asking him to be a shut down defender, just don't mind fart on a regular basis. TDA is the poster child for why raw offensive talent is overrated and hockey IQ is underrated.

TDA did play his best hockey in a sheltered role, paired with Seeler, a CYA defender - the role Carolina saw him fitting.
But he simply couldn't play with anyone else or higher in the lineup.

I don't think Torts' issue was personal, it was professional frustration with a kid who simply refused to be coached.
And on a young team, it's definitely addition by subtraction.
Two things can be true at the same time: DeAngelo is a detriment to an NHL roster because of his lack of defensive ... well, everything AND Tortorella has no need to throw gasoline on this burning ember by benching him to close out a long-lost season. Tortorella continues to show that he doesn't know the difference between correctional and punitive discipline and he therefore does damage to the team.

A third truth can be added to this: when a GM with the full knowledge of the coach pays big value for a player known to be defensively inept, neither the GM nor the coach should be publically astonished that the player continues to be defensively inept on their team.

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
This is another dumb move by Briere to appease Tortorella. There is no reason to buy him out right now. If Briere had balls he would have told Tortorella to suck it up, make it work and ride our the final year of his contract. We probably could have traded him at the deadline for a late pick.

Briere continues to let Tortorella dictate his decisions. He should have moved Laughton for that rumored package, he should have waited to move Hayes, and he should have just kept TDA.
TDA could have been the best citizen in NHL history who daily sang Kumbaya with the coach and it still wouldn’t have made their cap situation in 2023-24 one for which the best solution at this point wasn’t “move as much of TDA’s salary off the cap.” Briere needs to sign Frost and he’ll need around around $3M to do that. He couldn’t do that with TDA at full freight, Torts or no Torts. (You could argue Briere didn’t fix the cap situation by taking back Petersen and Walker and retaining on Hayes, but I won’t be the one to do that because it was the cost for getting early-round draft capital back.)

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
TDA could have been the best citizen in NHL history who daily sang Kumbaya with the coach and it still wouldn’t have made their cap situation in 2023-24 one for which the best solution at this point wasn’t “move as much of TDA’s salary off the cap.” Briere needs to sign Frost and he’ll need around around $3M to do that. He couldn’t do that with TDA at full freight, Torts or no Torts. (You could argue Briere didn’t fix the cap situation by taking back Petersen and Walker and retaining on Hayes, but I won’t be the one to do that because it was the cost for getting early-round draft capital back.)

They could have gotten under just fine by putting Ellis on LTIR before the season started. Not ideal, but perfectly doable in a year you're not trying to contend.

They also could have avoided having to do that by going with 2 rookie scale contracts instead of Hathaway and Poehling.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hexy isn't a moron, he's just stubborn. His loyalty to Hakstol got him fired, but at least with him, we weren't in cap hell and we didn't have a boatload of shit contracts. He was likely pressured from those above him not to do a complete rebuild, which I bet he wanted to do.
He left Fletcher with the JVR and Voracek contracts, both as bad as Hayes in terms of team building. Ghost was also a bad contract.
He also stopped rebuilding after the Coburn/Kimmo deals (both TDL), some minor moves, until the Schenn trade, 3 years into his regime.
And he blew the rebuild with mediocre drafting in the first two rounds.

Holmgren was fun until after the Carter/Richards trades, when he refused to accept the obvious and started the patch and reload philosophy that eroded talent for a decade.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Two things can be true at the same time: DeAngelo is a detriment to an NHL roster because of his lack of defensive ... well, everything AND Tortorella has no need to throw gasoline on this burning ember by benching him to close out a long-lost season. Tortorella continues to show that he doesn't know the difference between correctional and punitive discipline and he therefore does damage to the team.

A third truth can be added to this: when a GM with the full knowledge of the coach pays big value for a player known to be defensively inept, neither the GM nor the coach should be publically astonished that the player continues to be defensively inept on their team.
TDA wasn't a bad gamble, he was motivated, playing at home, trying to resurrect his career, and he did keep his nose clean.
That's the kind of player you pick up on a "buy low" - Fletcher grossly overpaid for an upside gamble (drawing to an inside straight).
The problem with TDA is he simply doesn't accept coaching, kept repeating the same mistakes.

If Torts doesn't bench him, it wouldn't have made him more valuable (teams have video) but it would have sent a message to young players that you don't have to be responsible defensively if you make a few flashy plays.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He left Fletcher with the JVR and Voracek contracts, both as bad as Hayes in terms of team building. Ghost was also a bad contract.
He also stopped rebuilding after the Coburn/Kimmo deals (both TDL), some minor moves, until the Schenn trade, 3 years into his regime.
And he blew the rebuild with mediocre drafting in the first two rounds.

Holmgren was fun until after the Carter/Richards trades, when he refused to accept the obvious and started the patch and reload philosophy that eroded talent for a decade.

No they were not both as bad as Hayes' contracts.

Your boy Briere isn't rebuilding either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad