GDT: UFC 303: Pereira vs. Prochazka 2/PFL 6

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
What's crazy is Pereira and Jones are the same exact age. So it's not even an Aspinall situation where Jones has to worry about fighting a younger guy. If anything Jones should be far more well preserved than Pereira given how inactive he is compared to Pereira. It SHOULD be a fight Jones would take but I still feel like he would duck it.

Edit - Also - Ankalaev vs. Pereira, yuck.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Jones also beats periera without even breaking a sweat
Oh, definitely. I think his only chance would be for him to properly gain weight/muscle mass so that his power gets amplified even more. Jones' wrestling, length and general versatility is a nightmare for basically everyone...he's looked vulnerable before, but that's usually because he's coked out of his damn mind, or was partying instead of training.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
What's crazy is Pereira and Jones are the same exact age. So it's not even an Aspinall situation where Jones has to worry about fighting a younger guy. If anything Jones should be far more well preserved than Pereira given how inactive he is compared to Pereira. It SHOULD be a fight Jones would take but I still feel like he would duck it.

Edit - Also - Ankalaev vs. Pereira, yuck.
I think jones beats him easily if he can make 205

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I really have no idea what Pereira does now. Ankalaev is there but that fight is nauseating for so many reasons. I don't think the UFC likes Ankalaev at all and I don't entirely blame them. You run the risk of derailing this insane run Pereira is on in a fight where Ankalaev hugs him for five rounds.

Reactions: I am not exposed

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
NJ
I really have no idea what Pereira does now. Ankalaev is there but that fight is nauseating for so many reasons. I don't think the UFC likes Ankalaev at all and I don't entirely blame them. You run the risk of derailing this insane run Pereira is on in a fight where Ankalaev hugs him for five rounds.

I also think they'd prefer Ankalaev to not be champion, and because Pereira said before this that he'd like a break until Nov/Dec... I think you make Ankalaev fight someone like Hill or Blahowicz for a #1 contender fight first

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Really impressed with Lok-Dog on the prelim. He’s tough and he can still throw heat when running on empty. Made Simon look awful.

Peyton Talbott is him.

Ige is a bad mf, as is Diego

People are bagging on Garry’s performance and I definitely get it- it was boring- but people rarely look good against high end karate style fighters. He did what he had to do to beat a guy who looked unreal in his ufc debut against Holland

Reactions: 16Skippy

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Ankalaev-Pereira isn't terribly exciting IMO, and the problem is he could lay and pray for 25 minutes, and you lose your dominant champion. Tough to be interested in a Hill rematch though either. Or Jan for that matter.

Pereira can be marketed as an absolute killer right now. Kudos to him for saving two cards in three months. And saving them in spectacular fashion no less.

I'm not sure how many people are in my camp but Jones-Pereira would garner buzz that we haven't seen in years. It would feel like one of the biggest fights of all-time. Far more interesting than Stipe IMO.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm not sure how many people are in my camp but Jones-Pereira would garner buzz that we haven't seen in years. It would feel like one of the biggest fights of all-time. Far more interesting than Stipe IMO.
I think this is such a silly take. We saw Jones take 3 years off to add weight and prep his body for HW... And people think it would be a super fight to watch a guy who fought 185 last year go up to 260?

I don't like Jones but I think it's pretty obvious that he would not strike with Pereira and just do what people are afraid Anklaev will do... Except better, with a lot more weight. But you're also right that the Stipe fight is dumb.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
There’s no way in hell I’m letting Jones duck Aspinall if I’m the ufc. If he wants to fight after Stipe then there should be nobody else on the table.
There should be nobody else on the table now. Stipe has done nothing in 4 years to earn this fight and at 42, he's probably a shadow of his former self.

My guess is the UFC is milking Jones for all he's worth so if they means a Stipe fight and then a fight against God knows who, then that's what they'll do. It's a business before it's a sport unfortunately.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It's pretty amazing what Pereira has done in such a short time in the sport. I do think he has benefited from fighting primarily strikers. Not his fault, that's just the way the divisions have worked out, but it does leave open the question of someone like Ankaleav. It might be boring, but that's part of the sport. Going to HW would be wild and I'd love to see it, but not until they sort out the mess with Jones/Aspinall.

Props to both Lopez and Ige. Tough situation for both guys. Still, not a confidence boosting win for Lopez IMO. Lucky it was only a 3 round fight.

I like him a lot, but Smith is looking oooooooold.

Garry's win was boring, but MVP was lighting him up on the feet. He had to do what he had to do to get the win. Survive and advance.

Not a great card. A little bit saved by Pereira, but not the most entertaining fights, especially for International Fight Week.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I think this is such a silly take. We saw Jones take 3 years off to add weight and prep his body for HW... And people think it would be a super fight to watch a guy who fought 185 last year go up to 260?

I don't like Jones but I think it's pretty obvious that he would not strike with Pereira and just do what people are afraid Anklaev will do... Except better, with a lot more weight. But you're also right that the Stipe fight is dumb.
People have a bit of a misconception about weight classes. It doesn't matter so much which you're in or which you came from, what matters for true comparison is how lean you are at each weight. Jones weighed 248 against Gane, and bordered on fat. I've seen accounts where Pereira approaches 230 in the cage at 205, and he is absolutely shredded. Pereira would be leaner than Jones at 235, thus he's actually the bigger guy.

I agree Jones would try to take him down as fast as possible, but when that bell rang the buzz would be unreal. Pereira has absolute dynamite in that left hook. Jones has never been hurt, let alone dropped, let alone TKO'ed. Could Pereira do it? Fascinating storyline IMO. Pereira hasn't done it long enough but another year of this and he's in the GOAT discussion. Jones beats Stipe and he further solidifies himself as such. For their big July card next year, if neither Jones nor Pereira lose in the meantime, this would essentially be the equivalent of Anderson-GSP. No argument Aspinall is more than deserving, but this is a business, and this would be MUCH more of a draw than Jones-Aspinall.

Nakatomi

Dec 26, 2022
Be honest, am I the only one who was thinking they were going to announce Chandler was stepping in for Ortega? The way they were dangling it before naming Ige, they had me going for a few seconds there.

Reactions: Taytro

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Be honest, am I the only one who was thinking they were going to announce Chandler was stepping in for Ortega? The way they were dangling it before naming Ige, they had me going for a few seconds there.
Good thing they didn't his fight vs Conor was supposed to be at 170 so realistically he'd probably have 20-25lbs on Lopes.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
People have a bit of a misconception about weight classes. It doesn't matter so much which you're in or which you came from, what matters for true comparison is how lean you are at each weight. Jones weighed 248 against Gane, and bordered on fat. I've seen accounts where Pereira approaches 230 in the cage at 205, and he is absolutely shredded. Pereira would be leaner than Jones at 235, thus he's actually the bigger guy.

I agree Jones would try to take him down as fast as possible, but when that bell rang the buzz would be unreal. Pereira has absolute dynamite in that left hook. Jones has never been hurt, let alone dropped, let alone TKO'ed. Could Pereira do it? Fascinating storyline IMO. Pereira hasn't done it long enough but another year of this and he's in the GOAT discussion. Jones beats Stipe and he further solidifies himself as such. For their big July card next year, if neither Jones nor Pereira lose in the meantime, this would essentially be the equivalent of Anderson-GSP. No argument Aspinall is more than deserving, but this is a business, and this would be MUCH more of a draw than Jones-Aspinall.
I think you might have a bit of a misconception about weight if you think the guy who weighed in at 185 last year is bigger than the guy who fought at 205 for his entire career then took 3 years off to gain muscle/weight to be competitive at HW. Pereira isn't at as significant of a size disadvantage vs Jones than he would be vs other HWs because Jones isn't a natural HW, but make no mistake Pereira is definitely at a size disadvantage, which matters almost exclusively in the grappling (that very well could mean a speed/endurance advantage though). And we've seen Jones vs a top level kickboxer, his strategy is grappling, so the weight would play an impact.

"Pereira would be leaner than Jones at 235, thus he's actually the bigger guy." ... If they both weighed 235 maybe.. but they don't, Jones is 15 pounds heavier, which is essentially a whole weight class heavier. It's not 15lbs of pure fat.

In my opinion the fascinating storyline is Pereira making history, it has nothing to do with Jones other than Jones not losing. It would do nothing for Jones's career since Alex was recently beaten/KOd by a true middleweight. Jones is running from the best competitors in his division and trying to fight a guy who weighed in 63lbs lighter than Jones did the last time they were both in competition at the same time. Jones beating Stipe also furthers no story line because beating a semi retired geriatric isn't something that should be put on your resume. Jones becoming the HW GOAT by cleaning out the top of the HW division would be what interests me and furthers his legacy but... Stipe and Pereira does literally nothing for it IMO. It would sell though, and it is a business so you're not wrong.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad