Confirmed with Link: Tony DeAngelo on unconditional waivers in second buyout window.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Carolina has a well thought out strategy, including letting veterans walk rather than overpay.
Scott was setting policy for the Flyers with Barber whispering in his ear, "aggressive reload."
I think Fletcher knew it was a lost cause by last spring, but placating his boss bought him one more season.

His moves reeked of a GM willing to draw to an inside straight b/c he was screwed in any case - had he traded Risto, Sanheim he would be declaring that they were starting a full scale rebuild, but that probably would have got him fired. It took the team imploding to finally convince the PTB that a rebuild was in order.

I mean, that’s fine and all, but the current regime has doubled down on the asshole coach who forced this issue. That makes it tough for me personally to even attempt to think anything meaningful has changed other that the proximity of the iceberg.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Peole post Jfresh showing TDA was in the bottom 1% on defense, then complain they couldn't trade him for anything.
I mean the league has film on him, right now he's where Gustaffson was two years ago, he'll have to work for minimum wage to rebuild his career.

Sounds like someone Fletcher shouldn't have spent through the nose for.

Would you say it was a mistake to acquire him?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Carolina has a well thought out strategy, including letting veterans walk rather than overpay.
Scott was setting policy for the Flyers with Barber whispering in his ear, "aggressive reload."
I think Fletcher knew it was a lost cause by last spring, but placating his boss bought him one more season.

His moves reeked of a GM willing to draw to an inside straight b/c he was screwed in any case - had he traded Risto, Sanheim he would be declaring that they were starting a full scale rebuild, but that probably would have got him fired. It took the team imploding to finally convince the PTB that a rebuild was in order.

Scott was not setting policy.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Just a reminder that:

Tortorella was hired June 2022.
Tony DeAngelo was traded for July 2022.

Post these dates in case anyone thinks Torts' hate for TDA is because it wasn't "his" guy.

Please also recall that by that time, we had already been repeatedly assured that Tortorella was making all the decisions and was running a rebuild so we would never do something ridiculous like spend picks for TDA.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Flyers now have 5+ mil in cap space tied up the next two seasons because Torts cant coexist with certain players.

Priorities are so off base here. In a rebuild...you have the luxury of being patient and being able to manage assets based on the marker. Trade guys with value...hold on to guys who dont and ride out their contracts.

Hayes and TDA should still be here if there was no market for them....and both could have one at the deadline.

If your argument is "well both moves still cleared cap"...sure...but you couldve cleared just as much dealimg TK and gotten assets in return too.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
This is another dumb move by Briere to appease Tortorella. There is no reason to buy him out right now. If Briere had balls he would have told Tortorella to suck it up, make it work and ride our the final year of his contract. We probably could have traded him at the deadline for a late pick.

Briere continues to let Tortorella dictate his decisions. He should have moved Laughton for that rumored package, he should have waited to move Hayes, and he should have just kept TDA.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Honestly I’m just happy I don’t have to hear Jim Jackson’s stupid ass say “Massimo Rizzo”.

Rizzo choosing Carolina or Philly:

f93333f51c404d40eb59f062c6e2e284a5b832f7.gif

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
This is another dumb move by Briere to appease Tortorella. There is no reason to buy him out right now. If Briere had balls he would have told Tortorella to suck it up, make it work and ride our the final year of his contract. We probably could have traded him at the deadline for a late pick.

Briere continues to let Tortorella dictate his decisions. He should have moved Laughton for that rumored package, he should have waited to move Hayes, and he should have just kept TDA.

Torts shouldn't be the coach and shouldn't be allowed to f***ing go to war with potential trade assets. But at the same time DeAngelo is just a f***ing joke of a player and seemingly a pretty crappy dude to have around, and it's not Briere's fault he was on the team.

So I'm totally fine with Danny here, for now. Emphasis on that part. Torts made this mess inevitable, but getting rid of Tony was a good idea anyway. Briere clearly had no say in Torts being coach when he got here, so my wonder is if he'll have more authority after a season and if he'll sour on Torts--or if this fealty and ass-backwards management structure will continue on into the future.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Torts bent over backwards to make TDA work, on paper, all he needed to do is improve his defense from bad to mediocre and it would have been a good trade - TDA is that talented offensively. Instead, he regressed from bad to terrible. There is something really wrong with TDA, he simply couldn't master basics, like positioning. No one was asking him to be a shut down defender, just don't mind fart on a regular basis. TDA is the poster child for why raw offensive talent is overrated and hockey IQ is underrated.

TDA did play his best hockey in a sheltered role, paired with Seeler, a CYA defender - the role Carolina saw him fitting.
But he simply couldn't play with anyone else or higher in the lineup.

I don't think Torts' issue was personal, it was professional frustration with a kid who simply refused to be coached.
And on a young team, it's definitely addition by subtraction.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Mutual termination?! No one wanted his contract at even 50%?

Incredible bang up job on this one Fletch. Truly a masterpiece in asset management.
Chuckle's will go down in NHL history as the worst GM to have ever hold that position. Any team seeking a new GM, do not look toward Chuckle's Fletcher, he will screw up your team for at least a decade!

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Chuckle's will go down in NHL history as the worst GM to have ever get that position. Any team seeking a new GM, do not look toward Chuckle's Fletcher, he will screw up your team for at least a decade!
Oh, there's been far worse, GMs who traded multiple 1st rd picks to spin their wheels then have the team go into a death spiral.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Still baffling a coach that no one but this team wanted to interview, has the most power in the league and "executives" kissing his ass a year later. This league sucks.

Not that I'll miss DeAngelo but another contract they're eating for nothing of value in a rebuilding year.

Wangstar

Apr 2, 2023
It’s good TD is gone.
Cliff Fletcher made terrible trades to make up for previous bad trades. Chuckles learned well.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Anyone complaining about this is crazy, there was no market for TDA and now he got put on waivers. Why have a player which such character issues and not in the long term plans on the club? This move helps open a roster spot for another player and helps the move towards another high draft pick next season...instead of a 14th overall pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad