Confirmed with Link: Tony DeAngelo on unconditional waivers in second buyout window.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sizzle Chest

Aug 22, 2020
The Cates arbitration filing was a head scratcher until now. He did the Flyers a solid by filing so they could buy out TDA. Seems premeditated vs. coincidental. Now, if the Flyers retain a significant chunk of salary on a player who gets moved in a three way trade, we will recoup more assets than if we had to move TDA. Don’t count Carolina out as a trade partner.

Reactions: Larry44

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
TDA wasn't a bad gamble, he was motivated, playing at home, trying to resurrect his career, and he did keep his nose clean.
That's the kind of player you pick up on a "buy low" - Fletcher grossly overpaid for an upside gamble (drawing to an inside straight).
The problem with TDA is he simply doesn't accept coaching, kept repeating the same mistakes.

If Torts doesn't bench him, it wouldn't have made him more valuable (teams have video) but it would have sent a message to young players that you don't have to be responsible defensively if you make a few flashy plays.
Thanks, dead. I'll agree that DeAngelo could have been valuable but at a far less price than a) trading picks for his rights (much less a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th) or b) signing him for 2 x $5 million. Fletcher ignored the patently obvious and hoped against hope others could make up for DeAngelo's deficiencies, and no one else challenged him on his poor assumption.

The benchings and public statements are damaging because they show that the team is desperate to move the player, which is far different a bargaining position than him being simply not doing enough to keep getting regular ice time. This is the detriment of publicly praising Tortorella and reinforcing his high contribution to roster decisions. The NHL already knows that he demands his way be followed so for a GM to wilfully align himself with Tortorella's demands means that he has little to no negotiation room.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Who's the next DeAngelo? Feel like they're going to bite on someone in year 2 or 3 of the "rebuild"

Lot of D available for Jones to fondle himself over next year.

Brodie, Martinez, Forsling, Montour, Toews, Barrie, Hanifin, Tanev. Klingberg. Pesce. Skjei.

Some of these are decent players but imo it’s far too early to be going after FA - especially as all are basically going to be 30+.

Last edited:

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Well, the clean-out is well underway.

And while I do not expect any news from this quarter, I'd be happy to hear of any or all of Holmgren, Clarke, Barber and Lombardi being sent home. Their advice over the last few years has been either poor, or absent, in light of the numerous mis-steps taken by this organization.

Reactions: renberg

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Lot of D available for Jones to fondle himself over next year.

Brodie, Martinez, Forsling, Montour, Toews, Barrie, Hanifin, Tanev. Klingberg. Pesce. Skjei.

Some of these are decent players but imo it’s far too early to be going after FA - especially as all are basically going to be 30+.

Devon Toews is gonna get like $8m+ on his next deal. Maybe even more.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
TDA wasn't a bad gamble, he was motivated, playing at home, trying to resurrect his career, and he did keep his nose clean.
That's the kind of player you pick up on a "buy low" - Fletcher grossly overpaid for an upside gamble (drawing to an inside straight).
The problem with TDA is he simply doesn't accept coaching, kept repeating the same mistakes.

If Torts doesn't bench him, it wouldn't have made him more valuable (teams have video) but it would have sent a message to young players that you don't have to be responsible defensively if you make a few flashy plays.

Holy s*** are you kidding me? You're sticking with this?!?

How do you say he was a good player to gamble on in a buy low situation, then follow it by saying Fletcher bought HIGH, and *still* maintain TDA wasn't a bad gamble?

That means he was a BAD GAMBLE

philly_28

Valar Morghulis
Apr 9, 2007
Chuck Fletcher, ladies and gentlemen:

Out:
Gostisbehere
Hagg
1st 2021 (14th overall)
2nd 2022
4th 2022
7th 2022
7th 2022
2nd 2023
3rd 2023
2nd 2024

In:
Ristolainen (extended for 5 years, $5.1 AAV)
DeAngelo (extended for 2 years, $5.0 AAV, bought out after one year by Briere)
7th 2022

This actually seems impossible. If we had a sleeper agent from a division rival as GM, he couldn't have f***ed it up more.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Holy s*** are you kidding me? You're sticking with this?!?

How do you say he was a good player to gamble on in a buy low situation, then follow it by saying Fletcher bought HIGH, and *still* maintain TDA wasn't a bad gamble?

That means he was a BAD GAMBLE

I think what he’s trying to say is that Fletcher thought he was buying low because a completely rehabbed DeAngelo would be worth more than they paid. In essence, he’s divorcing the evaluation from the trade.

I’ve personally used a similar argument to say that Daniel Jones was the correct pick at 6OA, but that’s only because their evaluation of him was absurd. You do not pass on what you think is a franchise QB. You don’t get cute and try to manipulate the board. You take him.

Yes, I agree that’s even more damning of Fletcher. :laugh:

philly_28

Valar Morghulis
Apr 9, 2007
I think what he’s trying to say is that Fletcher thought he was buying low because a completely rehabbed DeAngelo would be worth more than they paid. In essence, he’s divorcing the evaluation from the trade.

I’ve personally used a similar argument to say that Daniel Jones was the correct pick at 6OA, but that’s only because their evaluation of him was absurd. You do not pass on what you think is a franchise QB. You don’t get cute and try to manipulate the board. You take him.

Yes, I agree that’s even more damning of Fletcher. :laugh:

And every time you bring this up I get mad that I have to totally agree with it, haha.

• Haha
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad