Speculation: Tomas Hertl

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Bruins fans would be in a lot of pain for seeing him go, as he is the future 1G in Boston...but...

Jeremy Swayman, BOS 1st, Charlie Coyle. That's a quality roster player, a starting goalie who is on the doorstep and a 1st. Bruins might be open to adding a lesser piece.
The Sharks just acquired Hill, so we don't need Swayman. And a team who is trying to retool (and already has high cap hit for long term contracts) there's absolutely no way we need Coyle. Boston's first doesn't really change things in their favour either.

Reactions: themelkman

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Bruins fans would be in a lot of pain for seeing him go, as he is the future 1G in Boston...but...

Jeremy Swayman, BOS 1st, Charlie Coyle. That's a quality roster player, a starting goalie who is on the doorstep and a 1st. Bruins might be open to adding a lesser piece.

I like Swayman but I don't know that the Sharks will value him to enough of a degree to pull the trigger now that they have Hill and Reimer plus drafting Gaudreau and trading for Chrona not too long ago. They've done a lot of moves regarding the goaltending in the immediate and in the future. I just don't think it's that high of a priority right now in the timeline of when a Hertl deal would happen. I just don't see Boston having someone that would interest the Sharks. They need centers and RHD's and Boston doesn't seem to have a prospect to pique the Sharks' interest for Hertl.

Reactions: Son of Donegal

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Stone didn't get 4-5 assets. Sens didn't get a plus prospect plus a first.

Sens got a spare part forward, a good offensive undersized D prospect and a second.

I'd expect Hertl to fetch a 1st, decent prospect and something else. Sharks fans going to be sad.
I never said Stone got 4-5 assets. I didn't mean the trade had to include all of those prospects I listed, I meant either one (so my bad should've used / instead of , ) Brannstrom was one of the most touted D prospects in the league at the time.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I like Swayman but I don't know that the Sharks will value him to enough of a degree to pull the trigger now that they have Hill and Reimer plus drafting Gaudreau and trading for Chrona not too long ago. They've done a lot of moves regarding the goaltending in the immediate and in the future. I just don't think it's that high of a priority right now in the timeline of when a Hertl deal would happen. I just don't see Boston having someone that would interest the Sharks. They need centers and RHD's and Boston doesn't seem to have a prospect to pique the Sharks' interest for Hertl.
Bruins should wait and hope Sharks panic at deadline , or Bruins should just sign him in the off season. Sharks do not have a lot of cap space so the are limited , good luck San Jose.........

Reactions: Silva

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Bruins should not do that deal..............before you put something out like that proposal can some one put together what Sharks are looking for and their needs..........

Apparently, SJS fans are happy with Adin Hill...

I wouldn't feel quite as confident.

...isn't the point of securing Hertl to get another few cracks at the cup? Bruins would need to give up their first, best prospect and another quality piece to have a chance.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Brannstrom was a highly regarded prospect and the base of the deal. I'd be happy if the Sharks got a Brannstrom level prospect for Hertl plus secondary piece or pieces. But that prospect needs to be Brannstrom-like as a highly regarded RHD prospect (in caliber not necessarily in play style) or a similarly regarded center prospect. That's what I'm going for. However, it's a bit tricky comparing the two due to contract and environment issues. Hertl has a three team trade list and it's much, much harder to acquire and account for players like him now with less cap space to work with and it comes at a premium to get a team to help you out in such a manner. Sharks will be able to retain 50% on Hertl and take back salary but you're going to absolutely pay with a prospect like that at a minimum to get that going.

Jones is no less a prospect than Bran.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Apparently, SJS fans are happy with Adin Hill...

I wouldn't feel quite as confident.

...isn't the point of securing Hertl to get another few cracks at the cup? Bruins would need to give up their first, best prospect and another quality piece to have a chance.
Too much for a soon to be FA..........

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Rule of thumb is 3 late "firsts":

1) An established young NHLer with some upside but nothing special; the kind of player who would go late first/early 2nd in a redraft.
2) A solid young prospect drafted in the last 1-2 years; the kind of prospect drafted in the late first round.
3) A first-round pick in a future draft, likely to be late from any team that's looking to add a player like Hertl.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Bruins should wait and hope Sharks panic at deadline , or Bruins should just sign him in the off season. Sharks do not have a lot of cap space so the are limited , good luck San Jose.........

Sharks have more than enough cap space to re-sign Hertl if the two sides were to agree on terms. The Sharks can easily account for an 8x8 deal should that be necessary. But the Bruins are more than capable of trying to wait for the free agent route to potentially materialize. I don't see a trade as a real option for them here. I can't imagine they really want to part with Swayman even for Hertl and I can't imagine anything else being enticing enough for the Sharks to pull the trigger. Any other team Hertl is willing to go to will likely put forth a better offer.

Jones is no less a prospect than Bran.

Yeah, I disagree with that. But even if that were true, Jones isn't a positional fit for what the Sharks need moving forward. Brannstrom is but isn't what's being talked about as being available. If the Rangers want in on Hertl, we're talking about Lundkvist, Schneider, or Chytil as being the basis for a deal or there's nothing to really talk about. We're not going to discuss trading Hertl for a collection of secondary pieces. Even if you believe the reports coming out about Hertl being unhappy with the team as it relates to Kane and the culture, the people talking here about a trade are willing to cut Kane by any means necessary, fire a whole hell of a lot of people in the organization, and keep Hertl over trading him for secondary pieces.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
At the time of the Stone trade Brannstrom was regarded as a potential top pairing prospect. Jones is not that.

And Chytil is apart of the trade because Hertl would be the Strome replacement in the trade...

agree to disagree re Bran and Jones

Hertl being added [and giving us a cushion in case we move on from Zib being too much $$$ over, more critically, too many years, is irrelevant.

Whether he is our 2C or adding Hertl and we manage to keep Zib pushes him to 3C, we are keeping Chytil and moving on from Strome.

Hertl is a wonderful player.
I have a track record of wanting to signif overpay for him like 5 ish yrs ago,
His adding is signif quality, that is not in ?.

However, while he is not the ? mark Eichel is, there is an indisputable record of wear and tear. If Hertl goes down and there is no Chytil, we are effed. This is especially so since I said for over a year to give Kravtsov a shot at pivot betw. Kakko and breadman, which under idiot Quinn fell on deaf ears.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Sharks have more than enough cap space to re-sign Hertl if the two sides were to agree on terms. The Sharks can easily account for an 8x8 deal should that be necessary. But the Bruins are more than capable of trying to wait for the free agent route to potentially materialize. I don't see a trade as a real option for them here. I can't imagine they really want to part with Swayman even for Hertl and I can't imagine anything else being enticing enough for the Sharks to pull the trigger. Any other team Hertl is willing to go to will likely put forth a better offer.

Yeah, I disagree with that. But even if that were true, Jones isn't a positional fit for what the Sharks need moving forward. Brannstrom is but isn't what's being talked about as being available. If the Rangers want in on Hertl, we're talking about Lundkvist, Schneider, or Chytil as being the basis for a deal or there's nothing to really talk about. We're not going to discuss trading Hertl for a collection of secondary pieces. Even if you believe the reports coming out about Hertl being unhappy with the team as it relates to Kane and the culture, the people talking here about a trade are willing to cut Kane by any means necessary, fire a whole hell of a lot of people in the organization, and keep Hertl over trading him for secondary pieces.

I understand and btw I don't think Hertl should be moved unless there is a danger he walks [too early for that], or the return is stupid.
But NYR do not have surplus of bluest blue chips, so unless it is Jones + in some form, we pass.

And disagree on Jones. He is presently not imo on level of Nils L, nor is he Schneider who is a big guy.
He is a poor man's Fox, with upside, who we can spare b'c we have the real deal in the actual Fox.
I don't remember it exactly but someone somewhere said something to the effect Jones was on a list in or just outside top 50 prospects in hockey.

So highest end? no.
but not chopped liver, either

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Only if he holds to that. Typically, DW will look to expand his options in the final year of a deal on someone he's looking to trade. Doesn't mean Hertl will do so but he likely would.

You say typically, but how many times has Wilson traded players with NTCs (final year or otherwise)? While I agree it would be the prudent thing to do, I’d not deign to represent I understand Wilson’s typical behavior in the situation.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Said it before, but I would have been all over this as a Flyers fan.

Brink + 1st + 2nd + JVR

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Bit of a waste for him playing in SJ right now, it would be nice to see him move to a playoff team. Plus there a are a bunch of teams that could become contenders with an addition like Hertl.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You say typically, but how many times has Wilson traded players with NTCs (final year or otherwise)? While I agree it would be the prudent thing to do, I’d not deign to represent I understand Wilson’s typical behavior in the situation.

It’s only happened a couple times to my knowledge but he’s made a point of saying as much when it happens like in the case of Ryane Clowe.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Hertl is the replacement for Mika IMO

apologies if stated before but what is SJ looking for need wise?

I would want 1st+Chytil+Jones from the Rangers. High price for a rental but Hertl is worth it and would more than likely sign a fair extension (7x7 or so) if offered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad