Speculation: Tomas Hertl

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Only if he holds to that. Typically, DW will look to expand his options in the final year of a deal on someone he's looking to trade. Doesn't mean Hertl will do so but he likely would.

Maybe to waive for a team that will retain 50% and flip him to Tampa...

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
1st,Chytil and Schneider for Hertl with the understanding the Rangers can reach an agreement with Hertl

would not give that up for him even if I knew for sure he was healthy
and like I said in earlier post, this is a guy w/extensive wear and tear including both knees.

I'm not saying pass.
I'm saying Geo + a 1st + conditional picks in later years see how many games he actually plays.
Foolish to pay large and take injury risk esp given his history

the nmc situation on Trouba is unfortunate
b'c if it didn't exist
we could do Trouba + Geo + 1st for Hertl + EK at half, then NY retains and trades or buys out EK after half a yr or so.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
and like I said in earlier post, this is a guy w/extensive wear and tear including both knees.

I'm not saying pass.
I'm saying Geo + a 1st + conditional picks in later years see how many games he actually plays.

b'c if it didn't exist
we could do Trouba + Geo + 1st for Hertl + EK at half, then NY retains and trades or buys out EK after half a yr or so.
Neither of those deals make sense for SJ and are garbage value. Georgiev isn’t needed at all and would be stuck behind Hill. Trouba isn’t needed at all. The first is great and all but that’s a late first for our best player. Garbage deal.

Reactions: TheWayToRefJose

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I would imagine IF san jose was forced to trade him (which i think theyd be quite hesitant on), the wild would put a pretty decent package together that would beat a fair amount of teams for him.
I would also imagine that if they did trade him, it would be closer to the deadline where his value is highest, unless someone was willing to overpay now

Last edited:
Reactions: GuerinUp

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil

I'm not saying pass.

b'c if it didn't exist
No thanks

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Neither of those deals make sense for SJ and are garbage value. Georgiev isn’t needed at all and would be stuck behind Hill. Trouba isn’t needed at all. The first is great and all but that’s a late first for our best player. Garbage deal.

even at 27 not 25, he commands high value otherwise, but his injury actual history-> potential risk is signif

we are not overpaying
if someone else wants to, good luck

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Even though we are strong rivals in every sport, I feel you Sharks fans.

We went through this the first half of the offseason with the Rangers trying to unload Georgiev or their other players that they strongly over value for our stable of centers.

All I can really do is wish you luck
200.gif

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I'm not saying pass.

b'c if it didn't exist

Hertl just played 50 of 56 games only missing time due to COVID after this recent left knee injury. The other two previous knee injuries were to his right knee many years ago. You're never going to know any more that he is healthy and it is an absolutely silly ask for conditional picks given the circumstances and level of player involved. The Sharks have no need for Georgiev and you're vastly overestimating the risk of injury with Hertl and certainly are not weighing it appropriately to the reward involved. We also would not ever retain half on Karlsson...much less swap him for Trouba. That second proposal is asking the Sharks to eat 5.75 million for six seasons AND take on Trouba's 8 mil cap figure. You're essentially asking the Sharks to add 2.25 million in cap dollars to not improve, not clear salary that much quicker since Trouba expires a year before Karlsson but we'd still eat 5.75 mil in the final year of Karlsson's deal while also getting a goalie we don't need and a 1st.

Do you even bother to consider the Sharks wants and needs before proposing something so horrendously awful for them? That is quite possibly the worst proposal I've ever seen on these boards and I don't tend to throw that out there much. I've seen bad ones. I've seen very bad ones. That one is just unbelievably terrible.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I think this is the best take personally... seems like a lot of terms are being tossed around
1C
Elite 1C
Fringe 1C
Legit 2C
Top 15 is elite C
Top 32 is not

For the Czechs he is a Top 2C (with Krejci) and I'm not sure if he is 1 or 2 and don't think it matters much as long as he's getting his minutes. If he went to my Oil, I'd want him as a 2C.

I also don't think he'd be a 1C for Canada, US, Sweden or Finland going into the Olympics. I'm not even sure he'd make the US or Canadian roster.

So I get the semantics and will say he is not a tippy top guy like McDavid or Mack. I will say though that he is a C that you can win a cup with. He'd be in the top 6 of almost every franchise in the NHL.

What sucks for him is that he hit his prime at the same time as injuries, covid and the sharks decline happened.
Yeah but he’s a 1C in Zimbabwe and maybe 195 other nations. How is this relevant?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd love Calgary to take a stab at this guy, problem is we are in the same division and need to unload some cap.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
So, OP posts insanely misleading interpretation of situation, says he wants player, then doesn't make an offer himself but proceeds to criticize any offers, proves he doesn't have any clue what Hertl brings to the table, AND ignores supporting evidence of previous conversations where many people agreed upon said players's value, all within 25 posts? Pretty impressive self-kneecapping, I'd say.

If Rangers could get away with 1st, Chytil, and Schneider, they'd better take it and run (ignoring cap implications, that is).
That’d be a terrible deal for the Rangers. Most rentals get a 1st+

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think if you have Hertl as your 2C, that gives you a great chance at winning a Stanley Cup.

San Jose should move him for an impressive package of futures as that team is totally cooked.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Yeah but he’s a 1C in Zimbabwe and maybe 195 other nations. How is this relevant?
I believe the previous discussions were about where he fits amongst C's in the NHL.

I gave my 2 cents on where I see him.

It was relevant because that was the discussion taking place on the Hertl post. In fact, this whole post has people talking about where he fits as a C. It's literally exactly the right place to go and talk about it.

Regarding Zimbabwe... that would be irrelevant. Also, an unecessary jab at me. Perhaps come on and talk hockey and not be insulting? It is possible.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
There needs to be one significant piece involved. Stone's trade as a comparable got Brannstrom in return, who was very highly touted at the time. A Hertl package from the rangers for example needs to include Lundkvist, Schneider, Miller, a first round pick, etc. + something else depending on what the first asset was.

We have no need for guys like Barron, Jones, etc. Sure they're close to making the NHL...but if you're trading someone of Hertl's talent we need potential coming back.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
There needs to be one significant piece involved. Stone's trade as a comparable got Brannstrom in return, who was very highly touted at the time. A Hertl package from the rangers for example needs to include Lundkvist, Schneider, Miller, a first round pick, etc. + something else depending on what the first asset was.

We have no need for guys like Barron, Jones, etc. Sure they're close to making the NHL...but if you're trading someone of Hertl's talent we need potential coming back.

Stone didn't get 4-5 assets. Sens didn't get a plus prospect plus a first.

Sens got a spare part forward, a good offensive undersized D prospect and a second.

I'd expect Hertl to fetch a 1st, decent prospect and something else. Sharks fans going to be sad.

Reactions: bernmeister

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil

Sens got a spare part forward, a good offensive undersized D prospect and a second.

I'd expect Hertl to fetch a 1st, decent prospect and something else. Sharks fans going to be sad.
Yes and that would be regardless of the return.
Hertl's no doubt the fav of the fans

Reactions: themelkman

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Brannstrom was a highly regarded prospect and the base of the deal. I'd be happy if the Sharks got a Brannstrom level prospect for Hertl plus secondary piece or pieces. But that prospect needs to be Brannstrom-like as a highly regarded RHD prospect (in caliber not necessarily in play style) or a similarly regarded center prospect. That's what I'm going for. However, it's a bit tricky comparing the two due to contract and environment issues. Hertl has a three team trade list and it's much, much harder to acquire and account for players like him now with less cap space to work with and it comes at a premium to get a team to help you out in such a manner. Sharks will be able to retain 50% on Hertl and take back salary but you're going to absolutely pay with a prospect like that at a minimum to get that going.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Bruins fans would be in a lot of pain for seeing him go, as he is the future 1G in Boston...but...

Jeremy Swayman, BOS 1st, Charlie Coyle. That's a quality roster player, a starting goalie who is on the doorstep and a 1st. Bruins might be open to adding a lesser piece.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Bruins fans would be in a lot of pain for seeing him go, as he is the future 1G in Boston...but...

Jeremy Swayman, BOS 1st, Charlie Coyle. That's a quality roster player, a starting goalie who is on the doorstep and a 1st. Bruins might be open to adding a lesser piece.
Bruins should not do that deal..............before you put something out like that proposal can some one put together what Sharks are looking for and their needs..........

Reactions: Silva

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Hertl just played 50 of 56 games only missing time due to COVID after this recent left knee injury. The other two previous knee injuries were to his right knee many years ago. You're never going to know any more that he is healthy and it is an absolutely silly ask for conditional picks given the circumstances and level of player involved. The Sharks have no need for Georgiev and you're vastly overestimating the risk of injury with Hertl and certainly are not weighing it appropriately to the reward involved. We also would not ever retain half on Karlsson...much less swap him for Trouba. That second proposal is asking the Sharks to eat 5.75 million for six seasons AND take on Trouba's 8 mil cap figure. You're essentially asking the Sharks to add 2.25 million in cap dollars to not improve, not clear salary that much quicker since Trouba expires a year before Karlsson but we'd still eat 5.75 mil in the final year of Karlsson's deal while also getting a goalie we don't need and a 1st.

Do you even bother to consider the Sharks wants and needs before proposing something so horrendously awful for them? That is quite possibly the worst proposal I've ever seen on these boards and I don't tend to throw that out there much. I've seen bad ones. I've seen very bad ones. That one is just unbelievably terrible.
Now, if it were Hertl and MAV with no retention for a 1st, Trouba and Chytil I'd consider it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad