Speculation: Tomas Hertl

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I’d pay a good bit for Calgary to land Hertl.

I think Monahan (needing a change of scenery) to Montreal, Hertl to Calgary, and Drouin + assets from both Calgary and Montreal would allow the Sharks to get a great haul imo.

I just don't see a quality expendable centerpiece being interesting for the Sharks but if that sort of prospect isn't available from the teams Hertl will go to then they may just need to take the best offer out there.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I just don't see a quality expendable centerpiece being interesting for the Sharks but if that sort of prospect isn't available from the teams Hertl will go to then they may just need to take the best offer out there.
Are you referring to Montreal, or Calgary? Or both?

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Calgary and Montreal both have good prospect pools. It would make sense to get a prospect of the (this is just for reference) Zary/Coronato/Pelletier/Romanov/Guhle level and a pick or whatever else.

I've said this a couple times but I think the scenario will be similar to Mark Stone being traded to Vegas. Obviously Stone was very highly regarded, but Hertl is also a Center, and his next contract should be slightly less than Stone. I could see a similar package coming back. With that being said though, Brannstrom was very highly touted at the time and came with a second. I'd be looking for a prospect of the level I mentioned in the first paragraph with a first round pick and cap sorted out (with extension)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Calgary and Montreal both have good prospect pools. It would make sense to get a prospect of the (this is just for reference) Zary/Coronato/Pelletier/Romanov/Guhle level and a pick or whatever else.

I've said this a couple times but I think the scenario will be similar to Mark Stone being traded to Vegas. Obviously Stone was very highly regarded, but Hertl is also a Center, and his next contract should be slightly less than Stone. I could see a similar package coming back. With that being said though, Brannstrom was very highly touted at the time and came with a second. I'd be looking for a prospect of the level I mentioned in the first paragraph with a first round pick and cap sorted out (with extension)

I just don't think those prospects are players we need or have high upside. I get that getting someone with at least Hertl's upside may prove impossible but that's what I'm shooting for and none of those players are that to me.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I just don't think those prospects are players we need or have high upside. I get that getting someone with at least Hertl's upside may prove impossible but that's what I'm shooting for and none of those players are that to me.
I'm extremely high on Zary but I think he could become a Hertl type player. They are both solid on both ends of the ice. Coronato is an offensive dynamo, and Pelletier is a high motor winger. Any 3 would be right behind Eklund and with Bordeleau in our prospect pool. It is extremely rare to see a player traded 1 for 1 for a top prospect unless it's draft day and they're traded directly for a pick. Schneider for the Horvat pick comes to mind as an example.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm extremely high on Zary but I think he could become a Hertl type player. They are both solid on both ends of the ice. Coronato is an offensive dynamo, and Pelletier is a high motor winger. Any 3 would be right behind Eklund and with Bordeleau in our prospect pool. It is extremely rare to see a player traded 1 for 1 for a top prospect unless it's draft day and they're traded directly for a pick. Schneider for the Horvat pick comes to mind as an example.

I just don't see Zary as in the high end skill department that I want out of a prospect I'm moving Hertl for. Coronato has the skills but I don't think he has top center potential. I'm pretty confident in the team's winger prospects with guys like Wiesblatt, Eklund, Guschchin, and probably Coe and maybe Robins if they end up moving him to wing down the road. There's plenty of good prospects but I want a high end center or rhd prospect since the team is missing those to a degree.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
There is no covering the difference here. You either offer up a prospect that would fill an organizational need or we'll look elsewhere for someone who will. Strome and Jones do neither. Jones is simply not high end no matter how you try and sell it.

Jones IS high end
whether he is high enuf end or a fit for SJ is another ?

NY needs to be disciplined.
Cannot squander non surplus bluest blue chips which = extensive depth + roster flexibility w/cost control
for a short term indulgence.

We do a core of Strome + Jones and maybe some smaller piece adds.

If you get a better offer, God bless, enjoy, go there.

Again.
Hertl should be extended first chance, not be moved unless there is signif overpay.

NY should offer fair value or nominal overpay b'c that is what the currency available allows.

prediction:
Hertl will be extended and depending on how fast Sharks look like turnaround or not, may be dealt next season, not now.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
What is with this inflating of Strome like he's anything more than a middle-of-the-pack second line center? Dude has been around for 10 years, hasn't hit 20 goals in any of them and isn't exactly heading into his prime years. He'll end up demanding the same dollars as Hertl simply because of position scarcity. If the Sharks are retooling, why even bother with him?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Jones IS high end
whether he is high enuf end or a fit for SJ is another ?

NY needs to be disciplined.
Cannot squander non surplus bluest blue chips which = extensive depth + roster flexibility w/cost control
for a short term indulgence.

We do a core of Strome + Jones and maybe some smaller piece adds.

If you get a better offer, God bless, enjoy, go there.

Again.
Hertl should be extended first chance, not be moved unless there is signif overpay.

NY should offer fair value or nominal overpay b'c that is what the currency available allows.

prediction:
Hertl will be extended and depending on how fast Sharks look like turnaround or not, may be dealt next season, not now.

Jones is NOT high end and I'm not interested in him nor Strome. If you can't come off that then there's nothing more to talk about because neither fill an organizational need.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Stuzle is going no where :) but we have a slightly used Logan Brown, Brannstrom and finnish sensation Lasi Thomson. Not to mention Chris Tierney who loves SJ.
Thats awesome for him, but gonna cost you one of those to take Tierney, and then we need to talk what your giving for Hertl.

Id be interested in Norris, Sanderson, or maybe Pinto if the rest of the offer was fantastic.

If you cant afford those then I guess Hertl is "going no where
:)"

Reactions: Groo

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
If Hertl is indeed being shopped, Mtl would have to at least offer, CAR 1st unprotected, CAR 3rd, Jan Mysak(our c prospect with the highest potential, top 6) and a pick between Jordan Harris and Jacob Struble. They are also both top 10 prospects in our system. One plays RD and ceiling is top 4 with a floor of 3rd pair and the other plays LD with a higher ceiling and lower floor.
Add in a roster player to make salaries work like Byron and take a contract back so SJ is under the limit

Hertl + Megna
For
1st Car
3rd Car
Mysak
Harris / Struble
Byron

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Hertl is every bit as good as Brayden Point or Aho. But he devastatingly has played for the Sharks his whole career.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Jones is NOT high end and I'm not interested in him nor Strome. If you can't come off that then there's nothing more to talk about because neither fill an organizational need.

Your no vote is acknowledged.
As to Jones
yes there are varying degrees and some blue chips are bluer than others
but that said
anyone taken in the first round
or who would reasonably appear to be taken in the first round upon a redraft
is a blue chip

we can quibble about high end he is
and b'c of Fox he will not remain w/NY
but
he will make a pronounced mark somewhere
book it

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Your no vote is acknowledged.
As to Jones
yes there are varying degrees and some blue chips are bluer than others
but that said
anyone taken in the first round
or who would reasonably appear to be taken in the first round upon a redraft
is a blue chip

we can quibble about high end he is
and b'c of Fox he will not remain w/NY
but
he will make a pronounced mark somewhere
book it
Whether or not any of that is true. He's just not valuable enough to be the main prospect in a trade for Hertl. Would you want Artemi Kniasev as the main prospect back for Zibanjed? Probably not.

Reactions: bernmeister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad