Tim Stutzle vs Auston Matthews Contracts Included

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who would you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Stutzle over the next 5 years: $41,750,000
Matthews over the next 5yrs: $64,640,250

My preditions this year:
Stutzle: 81 games, 44 goals, 103 points
Matthews: 73 games, 52 goals, 101 points (Pace of 58 / 113)

Matthews is not worth 54.8% more than Stutzle IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: Atomos2 and Xspyrit

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I will take the guy with 2 rockets, a hart trophy, a Ted Lindsay trophy, the rookie of the year, ans has played playoff games.

Over the guy that's done none of those things.

There is no legitimate argument here.

You're pretty clearly ignoring contracts, age, health, and last year's performances if you legitamately can't see an argument for Stutzle here.

Or did you not see the (contracts included) part? If that's the case, then I see where you're coming from.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I doubt that to be honest as he is 12 goals behind and has played in 43 more games during the overlap of their time in the league.

Not to mention top 10 finishes are like this,

Matthews 1,1,2,3

McDavid 1,2,6,6,7,10
Matthews is a great goal scorer. But the first year McDavid decided to focus more on goals
he blew Matthews away. I wouldnt be surprised if McDavid beats him pretty much every year he is healthy going forward. That having been said the Oilers are clearly playing a more defense first system this year so we will see what that does to Oilers point and goal totals.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Trust the science! Experts are telling us Matthews is 1B to McDavid's 1A (some years). Stutzle is not even close.
His one outlier year some experts were saying that. Never before or again. You are living in the past off Matthews one year that was his career year. And it was a great year to be sure.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You're pretty clearly ignoring contracts, age, health, and last year's performances if you legitamately can't see an argument for Stutzle here.

Or did you not see the (contracts included) part? If that's the case, then I see where you're coming from.

I did see that but It doesn't make a difference to me.

Cap hit doesn't make one player better than another, I also don't think 1 year of Stuzle putting up only slightly better offensive totals than Matthews makes him the better player.

Not when Matthews crushed him offensively the previous 2 years,

and continues to crush him defensively considering he's already been top 10 in Selke voting, and now that he's on the PK I expect that to improve.

1 year of slightly better offensive totals isn't enough

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Stutzle has a better 20 year old season then Matthews. But that's Stu peak apparently. Yet noone can give me an example of a 20 year old whose peaked. Yet here we are, leaf fans saying Stu has peaked and Matthews hasn't.

Neither of them had peaked at that age. But Matthews became the hart winner and best goal scorer in the entire league.

I don’t think Stutzle will do that

One year for Stutzle was a 56 game season, but I’m sure you knew that,

Stutzle joined the League a year younger at 18 as well because Matthews missed being drafted a year earlier by a day or 2, and started at 19.

Matthews is the better player

Reactions: Voight

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Matthews is the better player
That’s nice and all, why quote me, if you don’t address any of the points.
I’m sure lots of fans compare 56 game seasons as an 18 year old with other players in a 82 game season. Not.

Heck, leafs fans lead the NHL in the pace argument, most do t use the pace argument, but you think you would in a shortened Covid season.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Not sure this is a fair comparison. Matthew is 5 years older, more experienced and to me is still the better player at this point in time. I want to see how Stutzle progresses over the next few years to see what he becomes.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Matthews as the player still comsiderably ahead

Contracts included its closer

Expecting Matthews to be around 55 goals and 105 pts

Stutzle similar year to this season.

Contracts included would take Stutzle though Matthews is still on 11.634M for this year

Why is Matthews going to improve by 15 goals and 20 points over last season, while Stutzle stagnates?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Why is Matthews going to improve by 15 goals and 20 points over last season, while Stutzle stagnates?
Matthews is a 100ish pt player and 55 goal scorer with last year being the down year (44 goal and ~94 pt pace)

The improvement is 11 goals and 11 pts which is what he was averaging the past three years before this one

252 pts in 195 games from 2020 to 2022 (106 pt per 82 games).

Stutzle needs to show he is really able to produce at a higher level then this to get expectation he can be a 100-105 pt player like Matthews has been over the past three years

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Matthews is a 100ish pt player and 55 goal scorer with last year being the down year (44 goal and ~94 pt pace)

The improvement is 11 goals and 11 pts which is what he was averaging the past three years before this one

252 pts in 195 games from 2020 to 2022 (106 pt per 82 games).

Stutzle needs to show he is really able to produce at a higher level then this to get expectation he can be a 100-105 pt player like Matthews has been over the past three years
I was more wondering why you think Stutzle has peaked at age 21. He had 90 points last year, but you think he's staying at 90 points this year.

At the same age, Matthews had 73 points in 68 games, so roughly a 85 point player. Over the next season and a bit he blossomed closer into what he is now.

So I was curious why you don't think Stutzle will make a similar improvement and instead has topped out at age 21.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Stutzles only been in the league for 3 seasons compared to Matthews’ 7. Even if we go back just 7 seasons, Ottawa still has more series wins than toronto. Ottawa within Stutzles 7th season will have more series wins than toronto.
That’s essentially a whose pecker is smaller comparison. Not exactly compelling or impressive either way.

I was more wondering why you think Stutzle has peaked at age 21. He had 90 points last year, but you think he's staying at 90 points this year.

At the same age, Matthews had 73 points in 68 games, so roughly a 85 point player. Over the next season and a bit he blossomed closer into what he is now.

So I was curious why you don't think Stutzle will make a similar improvement and instead has topped out at age 21.
Roughly an 88 point player***

I do think Stutzle has more to give points wise. But Matthews is the overall better player no question. Bigger, stronger and harder to play against.

• Haha
Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

Majority of players dont reach Matthews Peak level.

Its uncommon to see a player become that good.

Heck I doubt Matthews reaches 120 pts again (his peak pace).

Marner after his 94 pts year, paced again for 94 pts in 19-20

Stutzle could jump to 100 but it isnt certain, he does that right away next year.

I also dont think Stutzle is as good as Matthews. A level below that so not expecting as high a breakout, but we will see how the season plays out and if hes better than I expect

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
When you float around in the playoffs and have no impact that is what happens

What site can I find Stutzles playoff stats on? Google didn't turn up anything.

First time I have seen this

People compare D+1, D+2, D+ 3 years if they align

I get Marner spent an extra year in OHL so the comparison isnt straight for him and Stutzle but Matthews and Stutzle both played their ELCs out right away so a direct comparison is there

Its stupid reasoning anyways.

Matthews was born after the draft cutoff so somehow hes at fault here? He would've been in the NHL at 18 had he been born a few days earlier. Heck, at 18 he was playing in the Swiss league and had a fantastic year playing against men.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
What site can I find Stutzles playoff stats on? Google didn't turn up anything.

Its stupid reasoning anyways.

Matthews was born after the draft cutoff so somehow hes at fault here? He would've been in the NHL at 18 had he been born a few days earlier. Heck, at 18 he was playing in the Swiss league and had a fantastic year playing against men.
But he wasn’t so played at 19 instead of 18.
Heck, Stutzle played in the DEL at 17.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
There are some very creative arguments in this thread.

Ya a lot of that going on, especially since your comparing peckers,
Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
Oh I don’t compare peckers personally. I always lose. No comparison to be had

Attachments

• 9DAEA783-4441-49C1-A257-E7ED40E9F140.jpeg
    9DAEA783-4441-49C1-A257-E7ED40E9F140.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Haha
Reactions: dirtydanglez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad