Tim Stutzle vs Auston Matthews Contracts Included

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who would you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
After three seasons, Matthews put up 73 points in 68 games for a 1.07 PPG. That was his best season to date.

After three seasons, Stutzle just put up 90 points in 82 78 games for a 1.10 1.15 PPG. That was also his best season to date.

Yes, scoring has gone up, and Matthews went on to put up one spectacular season in 2021-2022.

All I'm saying is, you're comparing the career of a guy with more than twice as much time in the NHL and assuming that Stutzle is close to peaking when Matthews hadn't come close to peaking at the same stage of his career.

It seems unlikely but I guess we'll see what happens.
Then in his next 3 seasons he becamse the best scorer in the NHL.

47, 55 goal pace
41, 65 goal pace
60, 67 goal pace

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
are you serious?
how can you come to the conclusion stutzle is a better all around player.
Matthews is average defensively, an excellent goal scorer and a below average playmaker. Stutzle is average defensively, a great goal scorer and a great playmaker.

Stutzle doesn't dissapear on the ice like Matthews does if he's not scoring goals. I'll take him, thanks.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
The guy who won the Hart, back to back rockets and has been leading the league in goal scoring since coming in as a rookie.

Stutzle is a stud too though, good contract younger player. I'll take the more established guy that is his generations best goal scorer and also has a great 2 way game.
for now. i think mcdavid will go down as the best goal scorer of his generation.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
So none then, cap hit doesn't make one player better than another
But the question isn’t who is the better player - it’s who would you take. I consider Matthews the better player, but that $5M goes a long way to retaining other talent or signing UFAs for positions of need. For the current Canucks, I’d pick Stutzle and apply the difference to bolster the Defense.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Stutzle started the year as a 20 y/o and paced for 95 pts.

EVEN if he doesn't progress, the 5 M$ difference makes this poll pretty easy to answer

How is this poll still open?

Considering there's always going to be a few homers, that's a LOT of people who don't even read... contracts included!

Sure this sounds good but the 5 million extra was spent on Tarasenko who is at best maybe an average top 6 RW right now?

Take the better scorer and overall player in AM but he is a Leaf so many will take the non Leaf.

Better poll would be Stutzle versus Mack or someone like that.

Tarasenko only paced for 59 pts last season but 90 the year prior. Hard to say where he'll land this season but still just 31 y/o... And if he plays with Tkachuk-Stutzle, it's looking good for him as long as he stays healthy

That being said, who in their right mind wouldn't take Tim Stutzle and Vladimir Tarasenko over Auston Matthews and Dylan Gambrell?

Last edited:
Reactions: mkatcherin00

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
for now. i think mcdavid will go down as the best goal scorer of his generation.
I doubt that to be honest as he is 12 goals behind and has played in 43 more games during the overlap of their time in the league.

Not to mention top 10 finishes are like this,

Matthews 1,1,2,3

McDavid 1,2,6,6,7,10

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
I doubt that to be honest as he is 12 goals behind and has played in 43 more games during the overlap of their time in the league.

Not to mention top 10 finishes are like this,

Matthews 1,1,2,3

McDavid 1,2,6,6,7,10
mcdavid is 4 goals ahead so far. 303 vs 299.

mcdavid intentionally changed his game last season to focus more on goalscoring. considering he smoked the league last season i dont think he goes back. barring injury i think he wins another rocket.

Reactions: Voight

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I’ll take the better player. When you have to add ‘contracts included’, the square peg you’re trying to shove into a round hole, is still a square peg.

Unlike smaller and less desirable teams/ cities (like Edmonton), the leafs get to offset his cap hit by having depth players actually wanting to play in their city and taking discounts and ‘prove it’ contracts to do that and fill out depth positions. For this reason, the leafs have been able to put up 110+ point seasons without having to play their stars for 28 minutes a night and full 2 minute powerplays because behind them, their depth is trash.
So the Leafs only have to overpay the top players? Doesn't that cost more?
Also I was under the impression that the Leafs were pretty aggressive in trying to sign Connor Brown? He structured his contract so he could fit the Oillers cap and signed with them. Why didnt he sign with the Leafs? Unless they are willing to overpay for skill players the top guys seem to hold out when negotiating with the Leafs. McDavid, Nuge, Kane, Mcleod all took discounts to sign with the Oil. You may want to rethink your take. It blows

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Stutzle started the year as a 20 y/o and paced for 95 pts.

EVEN if he doesn't progress, the 5 M$ difference makes this poll pretty easy to answer

How is this poll still open?

Considering there's always going to be a few homers, that's a LOT of people who don't even read... contracts included!

Tarasenko only paced for 59 pts last season but 90 the year prior. Hard to say where he'll land this season but still just 31 y/o... And if he plays with Tkachuk-Stutzle, it's looking good for him as long as he stays healthy

That being said, who in their right mind wouldn't take Tim Stutzle and Vladimir Tarasenko over Auston Matthews and Dylan Gambrell?
Pweople here can read but frankly alot of people wouldn't take Stutzle and that one year of Taresneko over Matthews.

Taking the best player in the equation is usually the right choice.

Now Stutzle might have more to give but he isn't getting more ice time than last year, that's what held Matthews back partially under Babcock and with increased ice time he exploded to 47 goals in 70 games.

Productionwsie both guys were basically the same this year and it was a peak year for one guy and a huge disappointment production wise for the other.

Then factor in 2 way play and I'm taking Matthews until Stutzle shows more.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
So the Leafs only have to overpay the top players? Doesn't that cost more?
Also I was under the impression that the Leafs were pretty aggressive in trying to sign Connor Brown? He structured his contract so he could fit the Oillers cap and signed with them. Why didnt he sign with the Leafs? Unless they are willing to overpay for skill players the top guys seem to hold out when negotiating with the Leafs. McDavid, Nuge, Kane, Mcleod all took discounts to sign with the Oil. You may want to rethink your take. It blows
Nah I don’t at all. Every word was accurate.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
mcdavid is 4 goals ahead so far. 303 vs 299.

mcdavid intentionally changed his game last season to focus more on goalscoring. considering he smoked the league last season i dont think he goes back. barring injury i think he wins another rocket.
You missed the part where I said over lap but even taking their full careers this is how they shake out goal scoring ratewise.

Per 82 games

AM 51 goals

McDavid 44 goals

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
You missed the part where I said over lap but even taking their full careers this is how they shake out goal scoring ratewise.

Per 82 games

AM 51 goals

McDavid 44 goals
doesnt make sense to only look at the years they overlap when comparing the generation. you look at their entire careers.

matthews holds the rate right now but i can see mcdavid taking that eventually.
hes the more skilled goalscorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad