OT: Thread About Nothing (TaN #...lost count)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I love early November.

IMG_20231106_153031674.jpg

IMG_20231106_154022419.jpg

IMG_20231106_154456740.jpg

Reactions: Guadana

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Is it bow hunting season?
Yes. Bow season in NJ starts in September and goes all the way to February.

But the end of October into early November starts the breeding season. Bucks start seeking out receptive does and become much more aggressive towards other bucks. The woods can go from dead silent to a frenzy in a second... fighting, chasing territorial displays of dominance... it's amazing to see a dominant buck with a swollen neck, bristled up with his ears pinned back, walking stiff legged and grunting.

I don't know what it is about it but nothing gets me more invigorated than to be up close to that.

The best of it will only last until around the middle of November and drop off pretty quickly. So in the next 8 days or so more than 2/3 of adult does will have been bred and the rut will trickle out with some breeding activity going into January but nothing as significant as the first two weeks of November.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yes. Bow season in NJ starts in September and goes all the way to February.

But the end of October into early November starts the breeding season. Bucks start seeking out receptive does and become much more aggressive towards other bucks. The woods can go from dead silent to a frenzy in a second... fighting, chasing territorial displays of dominance... it's amazing to see a dominant buck with a swollen neck, bristled up with his ears pinned back, walking stiff legged and grunting.

I don't know what it is about it but nothing gets me more invigorated than to be up close to that.

The best of it will only last until around the middle of November and drop off pretty quickly. So in the next 8 days or so more than 2/3 of adult does will have been bred and the rut will trickle out with some breeding activity going into January but nothing as significant as the first two weeks of November.

Is there a limit on what you can kill? Bucks only? Certain size? I realize that hunting is necessary for population control but hopefully you are eating and sharing what you kill.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Is there a limit on what you can kill? Bucks only? Certain size? I realize that hunting is necessary for population control but hopefully you are eating and sharing what you kill.
Yes there is a limit.

But the limits are a bit different depending on where you are in the state. There are 50 deer management zones in New Jersey.

Bowhunting season is really 3 consecutive seasons...first Fall Bow from September to the end of October. With a Archery license you can hunt anywhere in the state and take 1 buck and usually multiple does. Many zones have unlimited doe harvest because numbers are too high.

After Fall Bow comes Permit Bow. In Permit Bow you have to have an Archery license plus a Permit for a specific Zone and you can also buy a second Buck tag that has to be used in the zone you have a permit for. That goes from the end of October to December 31st

Then comes Winter bow that starts January 1st. Now you need a new archery license for the new Year and you get another buck tag and can hunt anywhere in the state.

So you can shoot 3 bucks with the bow in New Jersey and unlimited does in most areas.

I hunt in a special regulations area that requires me to shoot a doe before a buck for each season. I would prefer to only shoot 1 buck. Because that is all I need. So I end up taking 2 does and one buck most of the time.

One deer goes to the Norwescap food bank - Hunters Helping the Hungry

- Hunters Helping the Hungry

Everything else goes in my freezer for me and to share with family and friends.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Yes there is a limit.

But the limits are a bit different depending on where you are in the state. There are 50 deer management zones in New Jersey.

Bowhunting season is really 3 consecutive seasons...first Fall Bow from September to the end of October. With a Archery license you can hunt anywhere in the state and take 1 buck and usually multiple does. Many zones have unlimited doe harvest because numbers are too high.

After Fall Bow comes Permit Bow. In Permit Bow you have to have an Archery license plus a Permit for a specific Zone and you can also buy a second Buck tag that has to be used in the zone you have a permit for. That goes from the end of October to December 31st

Then comes Winter bow that starts January 1st. Now you need a new archery license for the new Year and you get another buck tag and can hunt anywhere in the state.

So you can shoot 3 bucks with the bow in New Jersey and unlimited does in most areas.

I hunt in a special regulations area that requires me to shoot a doe before a buck for each season. I would prefer to only shoot 1 buck. Because that is all I need. So I end up taking 2 does and one buck most of the time.

One deer goes to the Norwescap food bank - Hunters Helping the Hungry

- Hunters Helping the Hungry

Everything else goes in my freezer for me and to share with family and friends.

I’m surprised no one has tried to organize more commercial sale of venison. It’s pretty good the few times I’ve had it.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I’m surprised no one has tried to organize more commercial sale of venison. It’s pretty good the few times I’ve had it.
There are a lot places to buy venison. The most famous is D'artagnan. I know Costco carries some of their products, they have an online store, I think you can even get their stuff on Amazon.

But they sell New Zealand red stag for their venison. They do everything, duck, rabbit, bison whatever you want really. There are other small farmers and ranchers that offer various kinds of venison but rarely ever whitetail deer.

I had venison Osso Buco for dinner tonight over polenta.

Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
There are a lot places to buy venison. The most famous is D'artagnan. I know Costco carries some of their products, they have an online store, I think you can even get their stuff on Amazon.

But they sell New Zealand red stag for their venison. They do everything, duck, rabbit, bison whatever you want really. There are other small farmers and ranchers that offer various kinds of venison but rarely ever whitetail deer.

I had venison Osso Buco for dinner tonight over polenta.

a true italian classic... i love making it

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
i had three of these crate/boxes kicking around but they're done holding anything...old muriatic acid label kert company from toronto.... saved one as it was really weathered but still looks cool and i wouldn't get much more reasonable useable wood ...plus it's a pain to take apart with out f***ing it

IMG_4110.jpg

did my thing..... took them apart and removed a shit ton of nails....lost some of the wood in the process.... but a thickness planer and running the pieces for height on table saw..... and some glue and clamps (more clamps were added in the gluing stage....this was a quick mockup)

IMG_4120.jpg

.... more table saw (with sled this time for the two crosscuts) and some fun times with a orbital sander..... (picture does not show holes filled on side which were later on)

...just have to give it the mineral oil wipe and i've got a sweet cutting/serving board depending on which side i put knife onto... 9.5" x 15" x 1.5"

IMG_4125.jpg

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
i had three of these crate/boxes kicking around but they're done holding anything...old muriatic acid label kert company from toronto.... saved one as it was really weathered but still looks cool and i wouldn't get much more reasonable useable wood ...plus it's a pain to take apart with out f***ing it

View attachment 765380

did my thing..... took them apart and removed a shit ton of nails....lost some of the wood in the process.... but a thickness planer and running the pieces for height on table saw..... and some glue and clamps (more clamps were added in the gluing stage....this was a quick mockup)

View attachment 765382

.... more table saw (with sled this time for the two crosscuts) and some fun times with a orbital sander..... (picture does not show holes filled on side which were later on)

...just have to give it the mineral oil wipe and i've got a sweet cutting/serving board depending on which side i put knife onto... 9.5" x 15" x 1.5"

View attachment 765383
That's awesome.

You know, that's essentially how you make the handle section (riser) of a traditional bow.

Here's an image of a glued up riser section of a recurve . The two angles will then be sanded down to a feathered taper and then multiple layers of wood strips will make the limbs around the handle.

You should make a bow :).

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Every once in a while I find that there’s someone who sings and hums a lot, and they do a terrible job at it. And it’s really hard on the ears.

And you really just wanna tell them to shut the f*** up, but you also like this person. Sometimes it’s even a close family member.

And I’ve also told her things that were much less offensive than “You’re singing voice is terrible and sucks. Shut the f*** up!” and she’s not reacted well to them and gets upset by much less than “please stop singing”. It’s a very elderly woman I work.

I have to start playing videos and things to drown her out and I still hear the horrible humming (sometimes it’s singing) in the background.

Next is gonna be some really loud music that will scare her out of the building.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
That's awesome.

You know, that's essentially how you make the handle section (riser) of a traditional bow.

Here's an image of a glued up riser section of a recurve . The two angles will then be sanded down to a feathered taper and then multiple layers of wood strips will make the limbs around the handle.

You should make a bow :).

View attachment 765457

very cool...i hunted down some videos (pun intended) on the bingham projects bow.... so it all comes in a kit it seems

i would like to try to make one without a kit.....seems like a warmer weather build though...maybe i'll give it a shot (again with the pun) after the winter...i think i would enjoy it but first have a couple of other things on my list i'd like to get done... (an electric short scale bass ...i got a raw slab of properly dried maghohany.....also want to attempt an acoustic guitar from stratch from an old wooden crib from the 70s)

Last edited:

My3Sons

Sponsor
It’s starting again. This time it’s actual singing, mixed with humming.

I can’t take it.

I’d rather hear people making weird sex noises right now.

Sorry but I can’t help it. Once the White Album gets to the catchy tune of Revolution 9 I can’t help it but sing along.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
very cool...i hunted down some videos (pun intended) on the bingham projects bow.... so it all comes in a kit it seems

i would like to try to make one without a kit.....seems like a warmer weather build though...maybe i'll give it a shot (again with the pun) after the winter...i think i would enjoy it but first have a couple of other things on my list i'd like to get done... (an electric short scale bass ...i got a raw slab of properly dried maghohany.....also want to attempt an acoustic guitar from stratch from an old wooden crib from the 70s)
Most people that do their first bow go with Bingham Projects. That's how my Dad did it...I don't think it's necessary to go that route anymore. 20/30 years ago there wasn't as much information easily available as there is now. There are a ton of resources now.

Even when choosing to not go with a kit, Bingham is a great resource. Thing is, you'll need to know lamination thicknesses to get the finished weight you are looking for and places like Binghams, Old Master Crafters and even 3 Rivers can help you figure some of that out...but nothing beats the message boards. Stickbow Leatherwall, and Tradgang have professional bowyers frequent their sites and most of them are more than willing to help out and give advice.

Also building a bow is really like a bunch of projects. Before you make a bow you need to build a form/press and a heat box/oven. The form is the most critical because that is your design and any mistakes or imperfections will be built into the bow.

I often think about getting into it but I'm too lazy. :)

My3Sons

Sponsor
Most people that do their first bow go with Bingham Projects. That's how my Dad did it...I don't think it's necessary to go that route anymore. 20/30 years ago there wasn't as much information easily available as there is now. There are a ton of resources now.

Even when choosing to not go with a kit, Bingham is a great resource. Thing is, you'll need to know lamination thicknesses to get the finished weight you are looking for and places like Binghams, Old Master Crafters and even 3 Rivers can help you figure some of that out...but nothing beats the message boards. Stickbow Leatherwall, and Tradgang have professional bowyers frequent their sites and most of them are more than willing to help out and give advice.

Also building a bow is really like a bunch of projects. Before you make a bow you need to build a form/press and a heat box/oven. The form is the most critical because that is your design and any mistakes or imperfections will be built into the bow.

At what point do you cast aside (see what I did there) the trappings of modern life and go completely feral? You living in a shelter made from animal hides and bones, bow hunting for your sustenance, drinking water from a nearby stagnant pond, wearing a wolf carcass for clothing, and singing weird songs and performing strange rituals from your pagan beliefs as a forest dweller, all while your wife stays in the house and visits you in the backyard where you’ve set all this up?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
At what point do you cast aside (see what I did there) the trappings of modern life and go completely feral? You living in a shelter made from animal hides and bones, bow hunting for your sustenance, drinking water from a nearby stagnant pond, wearing a wolf carcass for clothing, and singing weird songs and performing strange rituals from your pagan beliefs as a forest dweller, all while your wife stays in the house and visits you in the backyard where you’ve set all this up?
Feral? Me? Never happen... unless I can go feral within walking distance of a French restaurant with an extensive wine list and an airport so I can get to the tropics to go fishing in the winter...

Then I'd consider it.

Reactions: My3Sons

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

ya, saw that about the forms....it's both similar and different bending wood for the sides of an acoustic guitar ...similar in that a jig or form is used, different in that there is no lamination of wood, its just one piece

again, a warm weather project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad