Post-Game Talk: This is the end

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Was this season a success?

• Total voters

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
nce McDrai get extended that’s pretty much the end of our cup chances unless we start drafting incredibly and the cap explodes.
8 more chances? No. More like 1/2
It doesn't mean there won't be chances after because the Oilers will always be in contention with McDrai anywhere close to prime level but next season is their best chance realistically.
They have an opportunity to create enough cap space (with a Campbell buyout and Ceci trade) to bring back the same team minus Foegele probably and add a significant player while also having enough accrued cap space to add another one at the deadline. I feel a sense of true "all in" next season before the Draisaitl, Bouchard raises the next season, McDavid and Skinner (assuming that he keeps this trajectory up) in 2.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
It doesn't mean there won't be chances after because the Oilers will always be in contention with McDrai anywhere close to prime level but next season is their best chance realistically.
They have an opportunity to create enough cap space (with a Campbell buyout and Ceci trade) to bring back the same team minus Foegele probably and add a significant player while also having enough accrued cap space to add another one at the deadline. I feel a sense of true "all in" next season before the Draisaitl, Bouchard raises the next season, McDavid and Skinner (assuming that he keeps this trajectory up) in 2.

Yep. Next years Oilers team will be the best team they've iced in a very long time. Broberg/Holloway having a coming out this playoffs puts them in a position where they can dump some contracts and spend some money.

Of course it's depressing this morning but this team came within a shot or two of winning the Stanley Cup and they're going to be better next year.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Sleeping on it didn't help.

I know I'll look back on the whole season and the positivity will come back to me, but Jesus f***ing christ.

Still a big resounding f***.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
They battled hard, and that's all you can ask for. No shame in a game 7 loss in the SCF.

But that's why you just can't spot a team a 3-0 lead. They had zero margin left for a close game where the bounces didn't go their way against a top team.

I know a ton of factors went into the loss, but I can't still not stare at the most obvious. Reverting back to Nurse-Ceci/Nurse-Vinny for the first two games, and once again kneecapping the top 4. Especially against a team known for their forecheck.

I know numbers aren't the whole story, but Nurse-Broberg were the team's best pairing statistically in the cup final, and Nurse-Kulak was a big part of the turnaround vs. Dallas. I just don't understand why they bounced away from that formula.

Reactions: Kerberos

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
It's crazy to think how good are PP was all season amd playoffs only to go ice fking cold in the final series.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Drais is possibly already past prime. I want to wait to hear more about injuries but a dropoff seems like its happening. he's never entirely got the speed back since the ankle injuries either. Cumulatively he eats so much punishment on a year to year basis its hard to even imagine a long career.

My take is already past prime and with serious drop off by say age 32. Due to the punishment he'll age quicker. This tends to be the case with Power forwards or that can't even play anymore like Like Lindros.

Next year is not best opportunity as WC teams don't repeat. They don't get to cup finals twice. Not even a Dynasty Hawks club ever even managed it. 3mths off before next season is not enough time off in hockey, in the NHL with this many games slated. 107 games is way too much. Ending season June 24th is way too late.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
If we had won g1 when we were supposed to and been in this position for g7 win, I think we do it. It was our first shot at winning the cup, families all flown in, emotional comeback the three games prior. We experienced the nerves, family pressyure, and moments that FL felt in g4. If g7 was our second shot at winning, no doubt we bring it home.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Lots of slash, slash, hook, hold, dive, rinsing and repeating... I wonder how much Campbell was whispering in the league's ear. This will always go down for me, with an asterisk due to the GLARING conflict of interest with FLA management.
Lololol. Biggest final ever and Gary conspired against the Oilers. Where do ppl come from?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It will push him harder, but he showed up, if there is any doubt. It pains me to see an Oilers fan saying McDavid didn't show up.

Wildly inappropriate after his work-rate in that game
McDavid was the best player on the ice. Hard to see how that couldn't be spotted by Oilers fans. Leaves one question what people are even looking at. He was pretty incredible but none of the plays he created cashed, which happens, and happens most of the time in Game 7 SC finals.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Lololol. Biggest final ever and Gary conspired against the Oilers. Where do ppl come from?
Imagine people questioning a lifetime of no Canadian team ever hoisting the cup. Yeah, on the contrary its easy to see where conspiracy suggestion comes from.

Not saying it is, but saying such thought would be reasonable given the fact.

WE don't know for sure either in the Sports betting takeover of all pro sports that results are not fixed and scripted either. Like for instance betting destroyed Boxing.

In any case Pro sports has been rife with match fixing throughout history and especially in any time and jurisdiction that allowed big gambling on events. Its naïve to think fixing does not or cannot exist.

Last edited:

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Drais is possibly already past prime. I want to wait to hear more about injuries but a dropoff seems like its happening. he's never entirely got the speed back since the ankle injuries either. Cumulatively he eats so much punishment on a year to year basis its hard to even imagine a long career.

My take is already past prime and with serious drop off by say age 32. Due to the punishment he'll age quicker. This tends to be the case with Power forwards or that can't even play anymore like Like Lindros.

Next year is not best opportunity as WC teams don't repeat. They don't get to cup finals twice. Not even a Dynasty Hawks club ever even managed it. 3mths off before next season is not enough time off in hockey, in the NHL with this many games slated. 107 games is way too much. Ending season June 24th is way too late.
A lot of people think McDavid and Draisaitl are good for another 8 years or something.

They've peaked. Wear and tear on especially on a big, heavy guy like Draisaitl has Clarkson written all over it. Of course Draisaitl is way more capable of making plays with the puck, but the idea of him playing the brand of hockey he does and being able to maintain that for even another few years is unrealistic.

He's no Joe Thornton who stayed healthy and played a far less heavy game who was able to produce the same til 36 or so with minimal wear and tear, pure cerebral game. Draisaitl makes a lot of his plays happen bouncing guys off of him and fending them off to create space. That physicality and size combined with quickness won't be there much longer. Like you mentioned he never got that top end speed back and who knows what other injuries are piling up.

Offering him a 14x8 or whatever they're about to do is surely a recipe for disaster, but we have no other choice. I expect we've got two or three MAX cracks at the can left. These guys are already past their prime with no Cup to show for it. Ovi eeked a Cup out at 33 while already falling off the face of the earth. A lot is going to have to go right for this group the longer time goes on. Harder and harder.

Draisaitl has been a warrior for the club and played some incredible hockey, but people telling themselves he can keep this up after the style of hockey he plays are out to lunch. We might see a big drop off as soon as next season.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Its probably a combination of the clusterduck start of the season, going down 3-0 in the finals, and me getting older...

but this doesn't sting as much as the last one.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Reading troll posts from a team's fan base that believes cross checking the conn smythe winner in the neck and small of the back simultaneously is enthralling hockey... I wouldn't mind if that commune went it on their own.

I've come to the conclusion we were not Canada's team from the complete bliss shown from the other Canadian fan bases. They keep sucking Bettman's dick. They can't get enough of Bettman's dick.
Those loud mouths don't represent those fanbases. They were all pretty silent when it was 3-3, easy to gloat at the end.

Never said it was a conspiracy - just stating the facts of how the optics for something like this looks. It IS a bad look, no matter how you shape it.
O'ROURKE -- PANTHERS 15-1 RECORD - this was the one of two refs out of the entire league that was chosen to officiate the final. Really???

Last edited:

WhyYouHaveToBeMad

Aug 26, 2018
Had the night to calm down and digest. Super proud of this team. I felt like we were the better team for majority of the games these series. Dominated game one lost. Game too we weren't in it. Game three: self inflicted mistakes and we lost. Game four dominated. Game five: gritty game where we dominated first half of the game and florida second half but found a way to win. Game 6 I felt like we dominated. Game 7 first period was rough but i felt like we had better looks in 2 and 3 period unfortunately couldn't get a goal. Needed our top guys to step up for game 7 but Florida did a good job shutting them down. Had some looks on the pp but couldn't break through.

If someone who played hockey or has more knowledge than me could explain why kulak backed up so much on the reinhart goal?

We will be back. LTIR Kane. Skinner showed he can be the guy we can win with. Mcdavid will be hungry. Draisaitl will be healthy. Broberg was a revelation. We have a good team and no reason to believe we won't be back in the finals and win it next year

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
A lot of people think McDavid and Draisaitl are good for another 8 years or something.

They've peaked. Wear and tear on especially on a big, heavy guy like Draisaitl has Clarkson written all over it. Of course Draisaitl is way more capable of making plays with the puck, but the idea of him playing the brand of hockey he does and being able to maintain that for even another few years is unrealistic.

He's no Joe Thornton who stayed healthy and played a far less heavy game who was able to produce the same til 36 or so with minimal wear and tear, pure cerebral game. Draisaitl makes a lot of his plays happen bouncing guys off of him and fending them off to create space. That physicality and size combined with quickness won't be there much longer. Like you mentioned he never got that top end speed back and who knows what other injuries are piling up.

Offering him a 14x8 or whatever they're about to do is surely a recipe for disaster, but we have no other choice. I expect we've got two or three MAX cracks at the can left. These guys are already past their prime with no Cup to show for it. Ovi eeked a Cup out at 33 while already falling off the face of the earth. A lot is going to have to go right for this group the longer time goes on. Harder and harder.

Draisaitl has been a warrior for the club and played some incredible hockey, but people telling themselves he can keep this up after the style of hockey he plays are out to lunch. We might see a big drop off as soon as next season.

Said the exact same shit about Hyman right after we signed him. This was about the year he was supposed to start regressing and his playstyle would ultimately slow him down.

Guy scored 54.

Comparing Draisaitl to Clarkson is a complete f***ing joke. What is this post even? The guy had one 30 goal season his entire career and fought to crack 20 points for the remainder of it.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Imagine people questioning a lifetime of no Canadian team ever hoisting the cup. Yeah, on the contrary its easy to see where conspiracy suggestion comes from.

WE don't know for sure either in the Sports betting takeover of all pro sports that results are not fixed and scripted either. Like for instance betting destroyed Boxing.

In any case Pro sports has been rife with match fixing throughout history and especially in any time and jurisdiction that allowed big gambling on events. Its naïve to think fixing does not or cannot exist.

When does the statistical anomaly of Canada not winning the cup get questioned? When its down to 0.001 % chance? We could go another 32 years at this rate.

The league is a business. The business would not have grown in the south had the Oilers won the cup. I don't know if that affected the officiating, but it is a fact.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie

I would like to know how much money was on the Oilers vs the Panthers. I hate sports gambling its sullies everything

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Its probably a combination of the clusterduck start of the season, going down 3-0 in the finals, and me getting older...

but this doesn't sting as much as the last one.
I dunno. 2005-06 was kind of like a carnival because it was the first year since the lockout and CBA and many teams had to pare down roster significantly. That was a one off, and was basically because the NHL catered to small market clubs in the CBA, they threw the keys in our laps and thus Edmonton Oilers and Carolina Hurricanes making it to finals and none of the former powerhouse clubs making it. I always saw that run as at least partially as a result of the new CBA.

This one is different and the team earned getting to this final and game 7 and then some. The 2006 team had some pretty incredible goaltending, Really some puck luck and unexpected scoring like from Pisani to go on a magic run.

This one felt more real. jmo. I could see either view though and some of that has to do with how much fans identify with either roster.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
When does the statistical anomaly of Canada not winning the cup get questioned? When its down to 0.001 % chance? We could go another 32 years at this rate.

The league is a business. The business would not have grown in the south had the Oilers won the cup. I don't know if that affected the officiating, but it is a fact.
Plus that its not just us. Every fan of every team that faced the Panthers spoke to our board about the NHL giving the Panthers and players like Bennett Carte blanche to infract. Really its funny how the most penalized team in the league suddenly wasn't getting penalties.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I have concerns about Leon going forward in a few years....

But Clarkson contract? GTFO
I didn't state that comment but will respond. I'm Leons biggest fan here probably, but even I think anything more than 4yrs would be a bad idea. The cumulative toll on the player, the punishment, its been pretty incredible. Like the other poster correctly stated Leons game depends on being able to fight off checks, push off checks, bull through checks. We're seeing a lot of signs where this is more difficult for him to do and certainly that he cannot do it consistently now. He's also lost a step and lost some of his shot. Shots often the first thing to start going for full body shooters Leon isn't somebody that just makes snapshots. That would be easier to maintain. Full body shooting is very subject to injuries, arthritis, aging etc.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
It's crazy to think how good are PP was all season amd playoffs only to go ice fking cold in the final series.
The PP was cold from the last 3 games in Vancouver onward. Only 2 games against Dallas did it show up.

Since Game 5 of the Vancouver series, the PP went 8/45. A total of 16 games, they didn't get a PP goal in 11 of 16 games.

4 of the 8 came in games 6 & 7 to close out the Stars, huge positive.

3 came in the Panthers series, one was the 6-1 goal in and 8-1 win off a Draisaitl shot that we are used to but on the backup goalie, one was a prototypical bouch bomb off Hyman (solid goal). Then we have the McDavid rush goal, while a great goal its was a "hail mary" and not a product of a well run PP.

So from my skewed perspective, we had one legit PP goal in this series that resulted from a setup PP in the zone. Everything else was a fire drill.

Lots of perimeter play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Balakay14

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Ya I'm a salty bitch, I get it, but if any of you have the stomach to watch that game again look how many holds, trips, slashes, interference plays Panther got away with. Its complete garbage hockey, Panthers knew there would be little to no calls with those refs and that was their game plan going in. They think they are selling the game but they are not, 2 hated franchises won Stanley cups the last 2 years now. No one who is a casual hockey fan watched that hockey game and thought it was exciting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad