Post-Game Talk: This is the end

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Was this season a success?

• Total voters

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Plus that its not just us. Every fan of every team that faced the Panthers spoke to our board about the NHL giving the Panthers and players like Bennett Carte blanche to infract. Really its funny how the most penalized team in the league suddenly wasn't getting penalties.
Dan O'Rourke and Kozari chosen for the game with their record for FLA. The non-calls when the game was on the ropes - easier to game manage when its within reach, we did not see this when the Oil were blowing them out of the water. Fair, the boys didn't show up like the last three... but for a good chunk of the game, Tkachuk and Bennett were playing downright nasty without even an eyelash being batted.

Conflict of interest with the NHL BOG and the AGM of the Panthers to cap it off, it just feels off. We're allowed as fans to feel that way. The team did not show up like the previous three games, but this alone just creates another bag of question marks for the league.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I would like to know how much money was on the Oilers vs the Panthers. I hate sports gambling its sullies everything
Myself I'm seriously considering how much I want to invest in attention to pro sports now. Already divested myself of CFL, Basketball, NFL, limit my Soccer viewing now for same reasons. I consider whether in my remaining time on this orb I just want better passtimes than watching stuff that often just provides some aggravation. But this being stated the day after a terrible misfortune so take with grain of salt. I'm probably just an Oiler addict.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
When does the statistical anomaly of Canada not winning the cup get questioned? When its down to 0.001 % chance? We could go another 32 years at this rate.

The league is a business. The business would not have grown in the south had the Oilers won the cup. I don't know if that affected the officiating, but it is a fact.
When looking at how poorly run almost every Canadian franchise has been, it's no wonder the cup hasn't gone back to Canada.

A Canadian team winning the cup is just as good for the NHL as any American team. I'd imagine the revenue generated is probably higher in Canada to boot, though it's just a completely baseless guess.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Plus that its not just us. Every fan of every team that faced the Panthers spoke to our board about the NHL giving the Panthers and players like Bennett Carte blanche to infract. Really its funny how the most penalized team in the league suddenly wasn't getting penalties.
There was a BLATANT trip on Drai as he was going to the back of the net with the puck when it was 1-1. Which after you call Foegle, you can't ignore that. Can't really be ignored anyway. But I think the oilers had just had a PP so there was no way they were calling it. Just bullshit.

When looking at how poorly run almost every Canadian franchise has been, it's no wonder the cup hasn't gone back to Canada.

A Canadian team winning the cup is just as good for the NHL as any American team. I'd imagine the revenue generated is probably higher in Canada to boot, though it's just a completely baseless guess.
I feel like they are happy with the regular season revenue they generate. Fans keep coming. You end up with empty seats everywhere in the southern US if they aren't competitive.

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Was a heck of a ride, was a great run, but at the end of the day it’s just that, a run. Years past you could say the top players had no help from the depth, this year is the opposite, the depth players were let down by the top players. Completely pathetic performance by our top guns in what might be the only shot they get at a cup…
Yep. Florida may have played well defensively, but the oilers still had chances yet couldn't finish. Florida also gave up multiple breakaways to janmark and Brown again, and they just overpassed a little bit on the second one. Not blaming them just saying Florida really wasnt that amazing defensively, the oilers had multiple chances. Oilers had almost 7 mins of offensive pressure at the end but couldn't score. In my opinion the top guys choked and it's very disappointing.

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
There was a BLATANT trip on Drai as he was going to the back of the net with the puck when it was 1-1. Which after you call Foegle, you can't ignore that. Can't really be ignored anyway. But I think the oilers had just had a PP so there was no way they were calling it. Just bullshit.

I feel like they are happy with the regular season revenue they generate. Fans keep coming. You end up with empty seats everywhere in the southern US if they aren't competitive.
This. Sunbelt/southern teams, if not competitive, are a damper on the league financially, WAY more-so than a weak Canadian team selling out regular season games year after year.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Something I've been thinking about, with the league switching apparel suppliers to fanatics(ugh) this Summer, there's probably a pretty good chance that this years Oilers were the last chance at a championship by a team that doesn't have any ads on the Jersey.

This disappoints me almost as much as the loss.

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Something I've been thinking about, with the league switching apparel suppliers to fanatics(ugh) this Summer, there's probably a pretty good chance that this years Oilers were the last chance at a championship by a team that doesn't have any ads on the Jersey.

This disappoints me almost as much as the loss.
Out of respect for that insanely catchy Instacart jingle, I hope we have them or SkipTheDishes on our sweaters lol.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Well, at least we can drown our sorrows with free pizza from Boston Pizza still on Wednesday June 26. Though I heard it's only 10 inch pizzas with a $15 minimum purchase lol.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yep. Next years Oilers team will be the best team they've iced in a very long time. Broberg/Holloway having a coming out this playoffs puts them in a position where they can dump some contracts and spend some money.

Of course it's depressing this morning but this team came within a shot or two of winning the Stanley Cup and they're going to be better next year.

No, next year we are going to be a year older, and a year worse. The core of our team is old, with RNH, Hyman, Ekholm and Kane all getting firmly into the "large reduction in production" years. Holloway and Broberg aren't going to replace that by themselves. This team will 100% be worse next year, no doubt in my mind. McDrai could theoretically take them on a cup run again if they are healthy, as they are that good by themselves, but the team around them won't be as good.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I didn't state that comment but will respond. I'm Leons biggest fan here probably, but even I think anything more than 4yrs would be a bad idea. The cumulative toll on the player, the punishment, its been pretty incredible. Like the other poster correctly stated Leons game depends on being able to fight off checks, push off checks, bull through checks. We're seeing a lot of signs where this is more difficult for him to do and certainly that he cannot do it consistently now. He's also lost a step and lost some of his shot. Shots often the first thing to start going for full body shooters Leon isn't somebody that just makes snapshots. That would be easier to maintain. Full body shooting is very subject to injuries, arthritis, aging etc.
The biggest issue I have with lowball offers for Leon, is that he has been outproducing his contract for years now. Yes, he agreed to it and signed it, but its a sign of poor faith if we try to low-ball him now. In an ideal world, we get him for 8 more years, and it is structured something like this. Hi new contract would kick in next summer, when he is 29. I don't know if the final year I have below is too much of a decrease over year 1 according to the CBA, but if it would fly, I would love to see him sign a deal like this.

Year 1 (29) - 14 M
Year 2 (30) - 14 M
Year 3 (31) - 14 M
Year 4 (32) - 14 M
Year 5 (33) - 12 M
Year 6 (34) - 10 M
Year 7 (35) - 10 M
Year 8 (36) - 8 M

That's a 96 million dollar contract, and has a cap hit of 12.

I would also be fine with a simple 4 year X 13.5 - 14 M deal, if he wants something shorter, but I think if we can lock him up to a retirement contract now, that would be best for everyone. I'd offer McDavid a similar contract next year, starting with 15's for the first 4 years instead of 14's.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Never said it was a conspiracy - just stating the facts of how the optics for something like this looks. It IS a bad look, no matter how you shape it.
Did you watch the game? The worst call in the game came in favor of the Oilers and when Maurice was asked about it on the bench, he implied on national television that the NHL reffing conspires against them

There are no "optics". It's nothing more than a poutty sentiment that EVERY fanbase uses..literally every fanbase

• Haha
Reactions: Stauf4Prez

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Did you watch the game? The worst call in the game came in favor of the Oilers and when Maurice was asked about it on the bench, he implied on national television that the NHL reffing conspires against them

There are no "optics". It's nothing more than a poutty sentiment that EVERY fanbase uses..literally every fanbase
You are in the minority but go off, King.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Maybe someday I'll be able to look back and appreciate this run. Today is not that day. I'm super pissed off at the team as a whole for blowing what is probably their only shot, at McDavid for getting blanked, Drai for his entire disappearing act, Skinner for shitting the bed on the GWG, Nurse for being a $9.25M third pair D, the list goes on. But the biggest "f*ck you" goes to Bob Nicholson and Ken f**king Holland for squandering the heart of McDrai's careers.

Reactions: JeffSkinner53

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Not once this entire year up to the Dallas series did I truly think we would be in the Stanley Cup final this year, given our defensive and goaltending challenges. And regardless, any time you are in game 7 if a final the season is an A- success no matter who you are.

Extremely proud but so very disappointed. And to have lost like that, with Drai and Connor pointless, you cannot help but wonder "what if". Would have preferred losing 5-4 with each guy having massive games so we don't have to sit here and question why they did not contribute.

Sleeping on it didn't help.

I know I'll look back on the whole season and the positivity will come back to me, but Jesus f***ing christ.

Still a big resounding f***.
This. Feel worse today than yesterday.

Reactions: harpoon

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Hot take but no this season wasn't a success. Oilers were the favorites to win the cup before the season started. Starting the season as shitty as they did, making a coaching change and going on the run they did was something special. Mcdavid and co breaking NHL records was great. But coming up short in the only game that mattered most, it all really means nothing at the end of the day. There's no guarantee they even sniff the finals again next year and with so many guys being due for extensions soon plus the anchor that is the nurse contract. I don't know. Hopefully they find a way to win a cup cause the window is closing. We are closing in on a decade of the mcdavid era already.
Go away there is a time and place for that kind of thing. Hours after a devastating loss in game 7 is not one of them. Take your miserable take and leave us alone to wallow in misery for a few days without making it worse

Last edited:

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Not once this entire year up to the Dallas series did I truly think we would be in the Stanley Cup final this year, given our defensive and goaltending challenges. And regardless, any time you are in game 7 if a final the season is an A- success no matter who you are.

Extremely proud but so very disappointed. And to have lost like that, with Drai and Connor pointless, you cannot help but wonder "what if". Would have preferred losing 5-4 with each guy having massive games so we don't have to sit here and question why they did not contribute.

This. Feel worse today than yeyesterday.
I'm just angry now this morning. Didn't feel this way in 06.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The biggest issue I have with lowball offers for Leon, is that he has been outproducing his contract for years now. Yes, he agreed to it and signed it, but its a sign of poor faith if we try to low-ball him now. In an ideal world, we get him for 8 more years, and it is structured something like this. Hi new contract would kick in next summer, when he is 29. I don't know if the final year I have below is too much of a decrease over year 1 according to the CBA, but if it would fly, I would love to see him sign a deal like this.

Year 1 (29) - 14 M
Year 2 (30) - 14 M
Year 3 (31) - 14 M
Year 4 (32) - 14 M
Year 5 (33) - 12 M
Year 6 (34) - 10 M
Year 7 (35) - 10 M
Year 8 (36) - 8 M

That's a 96 million dollar contract, and has a cap hit of 12.

I would also be fine with a simple 4 year X 13.5 - 14 M deal, if he wants something shorter, but I think if we can lock him up to a retirement contract now, that would be best for everyone. I'd offer McDavid a similar contract next year, starting with 15's for the first 4 years instead of 14's.
I've made this same assertion. for the bolded reason and for retaining McD we need to get the Drai contract done. I was a bit curious though on McD's comments on the Nuge contract and him taking a home town discount for benefit of team. Sure Nuge did that but thats a different ball of wax and Nuge didn't overplay his longterm 6m buck deal.

McDrai will know they could make the most money of anybody in league. So hard to know how this all shakes down. I can't even figure out whether a SC W last night makes resigning both more, or less of a possibility. You just never know unless you are in the players heads.

If I had to guess from what I know they both stay here. But at what price and then how does that impact us for Bouchard contract?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I'm just angry now this morning. Didn't feel this way in 06.
Really? I was disgusted that a Bettman deep south team won the cup in 06 beating us. Saw it as yet another tarnishing of Lord Stanleys Trophy. Now another one, to a deeper south team. Sickenng we had the fate of losing to both deep south Bettman type clubs. Adds salt to injury in my mind.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
The real question is... how much money is SkipTheDishes paying Leon?

:cool:

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Still too upset to give a shit. The journey was great but not winning absolutely sucks.

Probably done here for a bit as I take it in. Have a good summer

Reactions: TB12

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Really? I was disgusted that a Bettman deep south team won the cup in 06 beating us. Saw it as yet another tarnishing of Lord Stanleys Trophy. Now another one, to a deeper south team. Sickenng we had the fate of losing to both deep south Bettman type clubs. Adds salt to injury in my mind.
I thought Carolina played well that year, and losing Roloson right away really took a lot of the pain away for me.

You know me, Mr. Always-Be-Positive around here. I didn't expect to feel so mad though. I guess despite knowing never to think a team has it, I really honestly believed it was going to be one of those historic sports moments people see once in their lives. Never expected Florida to pull it out after game 6.

Maybe I'm mad at my own brain.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad