The, "Wow! I totally forgot that this player had played for my team," thread

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
For the oldtimers.....always surprised me that Tony Esposito actually played a handful of games with the Canadiens to start his career....I believe that he actually got a cup ring there.

Reactions: banks

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Slightly OT, but it's crazy to think Crosby played WITH Lemieux (albeit for a few games)

Reactions: banks

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
for Carolina
Kirk McLean
Sandy McCarthy
Marc-Andre Bergeron
Andrei Loktionov
Bob Boughner
Kevin Hatcher

Alexei Ponikarovsky would make this list as well if he wasn't involved in arguably the most important draft pick trade in Canes history (the pick was used to select Jaccob Slavin)

Last edited:
Reactions: therealdeal

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
I'm not sure if anyone remembers, but there's this guy John Tavares who used to play for the Islanders. Now he's a Leaf. Not many people remember...

Here's a list of obscure Islanders:

Wendel Clark
Ron Hextall
Roberto Luongo
Ryan Smyth
Thomas Vanek
Bill Guerin
Doug Weight
Ruslan Fedotenko
Richard Park
Val Filpulla
Brian Rolston
Jay Pandolfo
Travis Zajac
Bryan McCabe

Last edited:

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
HOFers like Doug Gilmour, Dave Andreychuk, and Joe Nieuwendyk come to mind. John Vanbiesbrouck who is a borderline HOFer is another. Former Ranger Sergei Nemchinov who is another prominent player who gets lost.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Jari Kurri

Pierre Turgeon

Technically didn’t play because of lockout, but Vincent Damphousse.

Dave Andreychuk is on the Avs list for me. And I forgot Dale Hunter finished his career in Colorado.

And George Parros was claimed off waivers from the Kings and played 2 games for the Avs before getting traded to the Ducks.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Was talking to my dad about the Sharks recently (can’t remember why it came up or what specifically we were talking about) and he was trying to get me to remember some “star defenseman” we signed before we had Burns, and I must have listed every single defenseman we iced for fifteen years before I thought of Rob Blake. He played two whole seasons for us from 2008-2010 and I completely blocked him from my memory.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Doug Gilmour played parts of 2 seasons for the Blackhawks but I always forget that. He was pretty productive too in his mid 30s, 112 points in 135 games during the DPE.

Jason Arnott, Jamie Langenbrunner, Brendan Morrow and Martin Brodeur in Bluenotes

Brodeur signing in STL was one of the worst decisions ever by a player. Like dude, you had the chance to be one of the few one-club men of the modern era and you threw that away for 6 games?

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Doug Gilmour played parts of 2 seasons for the Blackhawks but I always forget that. He was pretty productive too in his mid 30s, 112 points in 135 games during the DPE.

Brodeur signing in STL was one of the worst decisions ever by a player. Like dude, you had the chance to be one of the few one-club men of the modern era and you threw that away for 6 games?
It was an ELITE maneuver

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I forget which reporter mentioned it, but they noted a personality difference between a guy like Scott Niedermayer who was content to leave with gas left in the tank versus somebody like Brodeur who would keep playing until there were no more opportunities.

When Brodeur signed with St. Louis during the middle of the season, he probably thought he still had the ability to latch onto the team for the rest of the season. And/or he really wanted to hit 700 wins. But the Blues were just looking at him as a band aid while Brian Elliott was injured for 4-6 weeks.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I recently remembered Bryan Smolinski on the 2006/2007 Canucks

Aaron Miller spent his final 57 games with the 07/08 Canucks.

Last edited:

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Some Oilers:

Nedved
Sykora
Bryzgalov
Martin Gerber
Mike Greene

And not my team, but I refuse to believe that Iggy played three (!!) seasons in Colorado. How?!

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Devils had, Esa Tikkanen and John Vanbiesbrouck
Feels like tikkanen played for every team at some point.

I sort of remember that. Didn't the Hawks sign a veteran Gilmour and Coffey in the same summer?

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
:wings

Ulf Samuelsson

Honestly I try and forget he ever wore the winged wheel, brief as it was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad