The, "Wow! I totally forgot that this player had played for my team," thread

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Ron Francis played 12 regular season and 12 post-season games for 24 games as a Maple Leaf.

You might be thinking of Phil Housley who played just one regular season game with the Maple Leafs (and three more in the playoffs)
Yes, that's it. I knew one of their TDL additions of long-time vets ended up playing just a single game. Thought it was Francis. I guess could've also been thinking about Gilmour as post above mentions.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Didn’t Doug Gilmour only play one game in which he got injured in his return to Toronto?

Yes, it ended up being the final game of his career but it's the year where the leafs decided to pick up every veteran imaginable at the deadline.

On that note, I just remembered now that Brian Leetch was briefly a leaf.

Robert dirk played 2 games in Montreal before suffering an injury which signaled the end to his nhl career at age 29.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Not so much "my team" as all teams ...

Ken Linesman played the last two games of his NHL career with the Maple Leafs.

Goaltender Richard Brodeur played the last ten games of his career as a Hartford Whaler.

Wendel Clark was a Red Wing for 12 games and a Blackhawk for 13 games.

Paul Coffey was a Hartford Whaler for 20 games and a Boston Bruin for 18 games.

Dave Andreychuk was a Bruin for 63 games and with the Avalanche for 14.

Bobby Hull spent the last nine games of his career playing for the Hartford Whalers.

Brett Hull spent the last five games of his career playing for the Phoenix Coyotes.

Former Rangers captain Barry Beck finished his career with a 52-game season with the Los Angeles Kings.

Montreal Canadiens sniper Mats Naslund returned from four years playing overseas to suit up for 34-games with the Boston Bruins in 1995.

Pat Lafontaine and Pavel Bure's injury-riddled careers came to an end with both of them as New York Rangers.

Four-time 50-goal scorer Tim Kerr wrapped up his career with a 32-game stint with the New York Rangers followed by a 22-game run with the Hartford Whalers.

The last 14-games of Alex Kovalev's career were spent with the Florida Panthers.

I often forget that Sergei Zubov and Luc Robitialle each spent a season as Penguins.

Tim Thomas played the last eight games of his NHL career with the Dallas Stars.

Scott Gomez was a Shark, Panther, Blue and Senator.

Stephane Richer played for the Penguins and the Blues.

Claude Lemieux returned to the NHL after years away to play with the San Jose Sharks.

Martin St. Louis played the first 69 games of his NHL career with the Calgary Flames. They then exposed him in the Expansion Draft and when he wasn't selected, they bought out his contract.

Al Iafrate had a 12-game stint as a Boston Bruin before being traded to San Jose.

Sergei Gonchar played just 15 games as a Bruin before signing with the Penguins as a free agent. That same year Michael Nylander was a Bruin for that same 15-game window.

Jeff Carter was a Blue Jacket. Mike Richards was a Capital.

Former Maple Leafs starter Allan Bester returned to the NHL after a few years in the minors to play 10 games with the Dallas Stars.

Veteran forward Keith Acton had a six-game stint with the Washington Capitals during his final season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bone Density

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Obviously if I forgot I couldnt post it, but I bet many habs fans forgot that Robert Lang played for us, and really really well.

And a cool answer, while he didnt technically play for the team, the Habs acquired (claimed on waivers?) Devan Dubnyk for the AHL club just before he had a string of 5 stellar seasons as a starter

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

Me remembering Drouin on the Habs years after a traumatic brain injury wipes my memory

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Obviously if I forgot I couldnt post it, but I bet many habs fans forgot that Robert Lang played for us, and really really well.

And a cool answer, while he didnt technically play for the team, the Habs acquired (claimed on waivers?) Devan Dubnyk for the AHL club just before he had a string of 5 stellar seasons as a starter

Yeah, he played well on a line with the kostitstyns and then tore his Achilles in a game against Boston, and that was it.

He came back with the yotes the following year to put a cap on his career.

Lang had a very strange career. A very late bloomer but also had a very productive career throughout his 30s.

Reactions: abo9

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Tom Barrasso started four games for the Leafs in 2001-2.
I'm not sure if I forgot or just never knew ... It was just over 20 years ago in my defense.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Blanked on Eric Brewer on the Ducks for awhile there. Got him from Tampa for a 3rd rounder, broke his foot after 2 games and missed 2 months, played a handful of games when he returned, and then was sent to Toronto for Korbinian Holzer at that deadline.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Jussi Jokinen, noted shootout assassin, played for four teams in 2017-18. He ended his tour with 14 games in Vancouver, and was witness to the final Sedin home game. Actually, if you watch the video of the overtime goal from that game, it's a real "who's who" of forgotten Canucks.

Just a gruesome roster of names here

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
Not sure if this guy counts as a notable player or not, but throwing it in anyway.
1705623781472.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad