Subnautica 2 (PC, Xbox)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
There were rumors and leaks, so we knew that it was coming, but now it's been officially announced.

Not much info is known except that it's a whole new world and will have a 4-player online co-op mode. I imagine that it'll be like Grounded (which was like Subnautica on land) and allow you to play through the game solo or with a few friends.

Unfortunately, it's still likely a long ways away. Subnautica and Subnautica: Below Zero were both in Early Access for about two years, so this one entering Early Access in 2025 may mean that it won't leave it until 2027.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
God ddaaaaaaaaaaaammmmn. I love Subnautica!!! So hype for this one. Probably instant #1 game I'm looking forward to now.

The 1st Subnautica is definitely in my top 7 favorite games ever. Below Zero was a let-down, but I'm pretty optimistic about them doing a proper sequel compared to a stand-alone "DLC" as they did with BZ.

I wish it was coming out on PS5, but I'm definitely going to be re-newing my Game Pass subscription for this one.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Not a criticism but just curious, what do you guys like about these types of games? Theres no real story or characters from what I could tell. It’s just resource mining.

I played Subnautica for an hour or so and found it pointless and boring. To each their own of course.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Not a criticism but just curious, what do you guys like about these types of games? Theres no real story or characters from what I could tell. It’s just resource mining.

I played Subnautica for an hour or so and found it pointless and boring. To each their own of course.
There is a story. It just takes a lot longer than an hour to start to reveal itself. It happens slowly as you play, discover new locations and listen to audio logs. It's not one of the stronger parts of the game, but it's there.

Yes, there's a lot of resource mining, but unlike with, say, Minecraft, there's a purpose to it. You need to craft and upgrade tools and vehicles in order to access and survive new areas and, ultimately, progress the story. It can be rewarding to explore strange and colorful biomes that you couldn't before because they were too deep and/or dangerous for you. If you've ever thought that it might be neat to descend into the Mariana Trench and see what strange lifeforms and plants are down there, this game lets you do that (albeit on a fictional ocean world). It can also be rewarding to build an elaborate underwater base to call home and dock your vehicles. Instead of just being cosmetic, though, it can make life easier for you by eliminating some resource mining (especially for food and fresh water, since you produce them in your base) and making it easier to find other resources, so the game arguably gets a little less resource miney as it goes along.

I can understand if all of that isn't your cup of tea, but there is more to it than what you experience in the first hour at the safe starting location.

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

I love games where you can explore, but I generally don't particularly gravitate toward Survival games. Something about Subnautica is just the perfect storm.

Specifically with Subnautica I really like the atmosphere and the world they built. The visuals are beautiful, every different biome is unique and vibrant. The creatures you encounter (both dangerous and friendly) stick out and are alien, while also maintaining a semblance of familiarity to earth. If you only played for about an hour and never left the safe shallow zone then you won't be able to really experience the real depths of the environment (pun intended).

I don't find the game terrible in the sense of resource mining. As Osprey said, the resource mining is actually purposeful. You need to improve your equipment to access new areas and build different tools to explore, as well as improving the quality of your base.

I also really love the quietness and solitude of the environment. Many games, especially multiplayer, are very intense and action oriented so being able to explore at your own pace and build as much or as little as you want is something I like.

When you start to get further into the game there is more storyline and other character development. You don't interact directly with the other characters, but the audio and text logs that you get make you feel like you are getting to know them. I've always found the history of what happened on Planet 4546B pretty interesting as well, but it takes a bit of time to start to learn about it. When you get the radio call from the ship that is coming to the planet is when you really start learning more about it.

I think one of the biggest things that I love about this game is just that you can feel the dedication and passion poured into the game by the developers. They carefully crafted every aspect of the world, the story, and the gameplay. They built in a system for players to give real-time feedback on the game from the pause menu, and appeared to really care about and consider the feedback that they got. Below Zero was a bit of a dud, but I thought it was incredible how the developers Unknown Worlds acknowledged this, and even went back to add in some QoL and content updates from BZ into the original game after the fact. Never really heard of a developer doing that before.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I love games where you can explore, but I generally don't particularly gravitate toward Survival games. Something about Subnautica is just the perfect storm.
Same. Survival games are kind of hit or miss with me. I played about an hour of Raft last year, but it didn't grab me and I abandoned it, so I can relate to x Tame Impala. Subnautica is one of the few that really grabbed me. Grounded is another. I guess that I'm more drawn to survival games when they feel like RPGs, with character and story progression, rather than straight sandbox survival (though Grounded literally features a sandbox that you have to survive in, but you know what I mean). Also, I like when they're a little more forgiving (in Subnautica, you can generally survive attacks from even the biggest monsters and get away from them to repair) and it's relatively clear what you need to craft certain things (i.e. no experimentation required) and why. Subnautica is nice because it's challenging but still relaxing, the resource collecting encourages exploration without becoming tedious and the crafting/building is rewarding without being frustrating. It's just a well balanced game, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad