Subnautica 2 (PC, Xbox)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
There were rumors and leaks, so we knew that it was coming, but now it's been officially announced.

Not much info is known except that it's a whole new world and will have a 4-player online co-op mode. I imagine that it'll be like Grounded (which was like Subnautica on land) and allow you to play through the game solo or with a few friends.

Unfortunately, it's still likely a long ways away. Subnautica and Subnautica: Below Zero were both in Early Access for about two years, so this one entering Early Access in 2025 may mean that it won't leave it until 2027.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
God ddaaaaaaaaaaaammmmn. I love Subnautica!!! So hype for this one. Probably instant #1 game I'm looking forward to now.

The 1st Subnautica is definitely in my top 7 favorite games ever. Below Zero was a let-down, but I'm pretty optimistic about them doing a proper sequel compared to a stand-alone "DLC" as they did with BZ.

I wish it was coming out on PS5, but I'm definitely going to be re-newing my Game Pass subscription for this one.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Not a criticism but just curious, what do you guys like about these types of games? Theres no real story or characters from what I could tell. It’s just resource mining.

I played Subnautica for an hour or so and found it pointless and boring. To each their own of course.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Not a criticism but just curious, what do you guys like about these types of games? Theres no real story or characters from what I could tell. It’s just resource mining.

I played Subnautica for an hour or so and found it pointless and boring. To each their own of course.
There is a story. It just takes a lot longer than an hour to start to reveal itself. It happens slowly as you play, discover new locations and listen to audio logs. It's not one of the stronger parts of the game, but it's there.

Yes, there's a lot of resource mining, but unlike with, say, Minecraft, there's a purpose to it. You need to craft and upgrade tools and vehicles in order to access and survive new areas and, ultimately, progress the story. It can be very rewarding to safely explore strange and colorful biomes that you couldn't before because they were too deep and/or dangerous for you. If you've ever thought that it might be neat to descend into the Mariana Trench and see what strange lifeforms and plants are down there, this game lets you do that (albeit on a fictional ocean world). It can also be rewarding to build an elaborate underwater base to call home and dock your vehicles. Instead of just being cosmetic, though, it can make life easier for you by eliminating some resource mining (especially for food and water, since you can grow and purify them in your base) and making it easier to find other resources, so the game arguably gets a little less resource miney as it goes along.

I can understand if all of that isn't your cup of tea, but there is more to it than you'll experience in the first hour at the safe starting location.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad