OT: The Soccer Football Thread (USA, RBNY, PL, etc.)

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Cool to see Japan winning the group. I love underdog stories at the WC, even if Japan isn't that far off Spain and Germany

Reactions: My3Sons

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
LOL Germany out despite beating Costa Rica, drawing with Spain and leading Japan for 75 minutes. Japan beating Spain and Germany while losing to Costa Rica has to be the weirdest-ass first round from one team I can remember.

Reminds me of the USA's group in 2014 with Germany, Ghana and Portugal. Everyone was winning off each other in the most random ways.

Cool to see Japan winning the group. I love underdog stories at the WC, even if Japan isn't that far off Spain and Germany

Probably the worst thing for them in this tournament since they got Croatia but this will grow the game so much in Japan with young kids seeing they can top a group with 2 superpowers of world football in the same group.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I mean it's hard to explain kind of. I'm an American and U.S. citizen first and foremost. It's just the fact that Italy was better when I started to follow soccer more around the mid 2000s when I played as a kid. This was before the MLS got big and I was using Italian teams when playing FIFA and what not. I learned more about my heritage and learned to really embrace it. My family always roots for USA and Italy when it comes to sports , but when it comes to soccer we gravitate towards Italy more. It's not the same for a sport like say hockey where Italys national team is not good even though they have decent teams/league from the northern part of the country by Germany and Switzerland. I probably come off as sounding like a traitor but it'd not the case. If I had to root between the 2 hypothetically for a world cup final between USA and Italy than it would be pretty heart wrenching.

same here but i grew up cheering yugoslavia before it split up. too bad canada drew the same group this time but im glad croatia moved on instead of them

now bring on japan

Reactions: PizzaAndPucks

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I'm not super confident in this team still but I think the Netherlands are beatable.

LETS GO USA!!!

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
They aren’t missing. They are just playing other sports.

OIP.J1lbM36HGdJWP9Sj0Ug9KgHaFk

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
This feels like devils/caps games of years past. USA can’t capitalize on glorious opportunities and NED just cash in twice when given the chance.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
It's amazing that the US team seems to be made up entirely of Erik Haulas. Especially given that Haula is Finnish.

• Haha
Reactions: FinnishDevil

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
So frustrating that Pulisic didn't finish that early chance. Leaves that what if factor about how much that could have changed the entire momentum of the game.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This feels like devils/caps games of years past. USA can’t capitalize on glorious opportunities and NED just cash in twice when given the chance.
More or less, especially considering the size issue. The US can't do jacksquat with set pieces in large part because they don't have tall people able to chase headers in the box.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

RNCDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
NED was just better - elite players but that gap is closing.

Gio was a difference maker. Lot to like from many players. 2026 boys!

So the Dutch as Paises Bajos in spansish...a low country...you're just underwater. That's how we recognize you.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
NED was just better - elite players but that gap is closing.

Gio was a difference maker. Lot to like from many players. 2026 boys!
Holland doesn't have elite players outside of van Dijk and you didn't closed the gap even with uprise in talent for USA. This is probably the worst roster for Holland in 30 years.

RNCDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Holland doesn't have elite players outside of van Dijk and you didn't closed the gap even with uprise in talent for USA. This is probably the worst roster for Holland in 30 years.

I liked Gakpo, de Jonge, and Dumfries a lot, but I'm not as immersed so I'll take your word for it. Do your comments imply that you were not impressed with any US players?

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
I liked Gakpo, de Jonge, and Dumfries a lot, but I'm not as immersed so I'll take your word for it. Do your comments imply that you were not impressed with any US players?
No, i just said that you"re producing better players but this was not good what USA showed in this turnament. Sadly Pulisic stalled in his development and you lack quality everywhere. But based on growing popularity of the sport you have huge potsential. In my opinion Canada has Davies and David two players that are better and more impactfull then anything US have.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This wasn't an overmatch like the Tim Howard game against Belgium was...but it still felt like the score was indicative of at least the talent level on both teams. The only goal the US did get was a bit fluky.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
We've just got to get to the point where all the MLS guys are backups and not getting starts in knockout rounds. The best players for the US are all still going to be in their primes in 2026, need to develop some more depth and wouldn't mind moving on from Berhalter either, but I don't expect that to happen.

Realistically, this is not a team that you expect to get past this round, but you also would expect that they would have a better showing than that against this NED team.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
We've just got to get to the point where all the MLS guys are backups and not getting starts in knockout rounds. The best players for the US are all still going to be in their primes in 2026, need to develop some more depth and wouldn't mind moving on from Berhalter either, but I don't expect that to happen.

Realistically, this is not a team that you expect to get past this round, but you also would expect that they would have a better showing than that against this NED team.
I get where you're coming from but I think the real goal has to be to make MLS a stronger league rather than being able to field a team where the MLS guys don't see the field.

US Soccer has two main problems they have to overcome before they can have real success on the world stage. One is that while a huge percentage of American kids play organized soccer at some point, most never see it as their primary sport. The other is that there isn't enough quality coaching available to kids who do pursue the sport, which results in a national team that can hang with the big dogs but doesn't have the individual skill to capitalize on their opportunities. Having a strong domestic league that is present in the public consciousness is the best way to address both issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00