OT: The Soccer Football Thread (USA, RBNY, PL, etc.)

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
f***. blegh.

surprised spain played a non dive fest of a match. they deserved the win today. the rest of their tournament leaves much to ne desired

now, i wait two years for the world cup and look forward to what f***ing haircut trend the players grab on to

that said. tears of england will have to do.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
shakira is the 'half time whore'

not because of sex and selling

but selling crap and beliveing that it good

its preying on the masses that dont know better

and.

needs more f***ing autotune and vapid choreography while were at it

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
England gives us the beat soccer league in the world but their national team can never win anything. Gotta feel for those fans even though they are obnoxious as hell.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
they'll always have 1966
IMG_4036.jpeg

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
giphy.webp

Here I am, popping into this thread to see what you colonists have to say about jolly old soccer and I get done like that.

Fair play mate.
soccer is a patchwork sport in the US. There are plenty of younger folks that watch it. I think the rise of expanded channels has really helped in that regard. My kids and their friends follow the EPL even if not as closely as US football. I’m not trying to be cheeky by calling it soccer just trying to differentiate it from the US football reference.

Reactions: britdevil

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
giphy.webp

Here I am, popping into this thread to see what you colonists have to say about jolly old soccer and I get done like that.

Fair play mate.

Since this is the more appropriate thread for it I'd absolutely try to go to a game in Southampton if I get there. I've been to EPL and Championship games in the London and a little out of London areas and have always had a great time. Craven Cottage is my favorite place I've seen a game so far. It's harder to see numerous games over there with the scheduling since it's not like the Devils where they play like 4x in a week and with how hard it is to get tickets for some games.

I'm mainly jealous of how close everything is for traveling fans. You guys can go to almost every away game since every city is like 5 hours away or less. I have Red Bulls season tickets in the MLS and the only teams in the entire league I can see under 5 hours away is 4 teams, NYCFC, Philadelphia, D.C. and New England. Everything else is either a drive that requires a hotel stay for the night or a flight.

I'd go to almost every single game of whatever my favorite team was if I lived over there with everything that close.

Last edited:

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
soccer is a patchwork sport in the US. There are plenty of younger folks that watch it. I think the rise of expanded channels has really helped in that regard. My kids and their friends follow the EPL even if not as closely as US football. I’m not trying to be cheeky by calling it soccer just trying to differentiate it from the US football reference.

Personally, I don't really think it bothers Brits as much as we like to pretend that it does. It's more that we are a nation of wind up merchants and love bantering you lot.

Two of the most iconic TV shows about footy in the late 90's and early 2000's were called Soccer Saturday and Soccer Am and nobody bat an eye lid. After all, soccer is just an abbreviation of Association Football, popularised by academics in mid-century England.

I like to call it kicky windy bag myself.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Since this is the more appropriate thread for it I'd absolutely try to go to a game in Southampton if I get there. I've been to EPL and Championship games in the London and a little out of London areas and have always had a great time. Craven Cottage is my favorite place I've seen a game so far. It's harder to see numerous games over there with the scheduling since it's not like the Devils where they play like 4x in a week and with how hard it is to get tickets for some games.

I'm mainly jealous of how close everything is for traveling fans. You guys can go to almost every home game since every city is like 5 hours away or less. I have Red Bulls season tickets in the MLS and the only teams in the entire league I can see under 5 hours away is 4 teams, NYCFC, Philadelphia, D.C. and New England. Everything else is either a drive that requires a hotel stay for the night or a flight.

I'd go to almost every single game of whatever my favorite team was if I lived over there with everything that close.

It is brilliant.

Football is so deeply engrained into the working man's culture here, it's virtually treated as a religion. Or at least it used to be, I won't get into it here but the short version is that money destroyed the premier league.

Just my humble opinion.

The Championship is an absolutely brilliant football league and is much closer to what football of old used to be. But even that league has become a house of cards that could crumble at any moment.

But yes, the ability to hop on a train and follow your club all around the country is certainly an aspect of European life that is totally underappreciated.

Edit: I'll add that if you wanted to experience South Coast football, you'd be well placed even if you stay in London. Southampton, Portsmouth, Brighton and Bournemouth are all located within two hours train ride of the capital and very easily drivable if you were to rent a nice little diesel hatchback car. All above are connected by motorways to London (well except Bournemouth, but it's well connected to Southampton by a "dual carriageway" two laned highway).

Zipping around by car is extremely easy here and well worth the drive.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2