Prospect Info: 2024 Montreal Canadiens Rookie Camp (September 11-17)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

habsprospects

Nov 24, 2003
Sherbrooke, QC
habsprospects.com
It is not a rule that the NHL can control but a tactic that the NCAA uses to keep kids in their ranks as they will lose NCAA eligibility if they take part.
I think they technically can go to rookie camp, they just cant get paid any expenses by the Habs, just like the development camp, they just dont go because school is started.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think they technically can go to rookie camp, they just cant get paid any expenses by the Habs, just like the development camp, they just dont go because school is started.

I don't think that they are allowed to play a professional game in NA. I do not know for sure but I don't recall ever seeing a player with intentions to go the NCAA route play a pre-season or rookie camp game. You would be correct about the majority of prospects who go directly to the NCAA after the draft but there are players like Vecvanags who need another year in the BCHL or in the American HS system that I have yet to see play in such a camp. I could be wrong for sure but I would need some evidence to prove otherwise.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
If he is going to the BCHL with hopes of going to the NCAA next season then no, he can not play in this tournament.

These are NCAA restrictions, not NHL/BCHL etc restrictions
He hasn’t signed with any ncaa team, so I’m not sure that makes any sense as to why he wouldn’t play next weekend. Not that I care that much. Just curious.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I don't think that they are allowed to play a professional game in NA. I do not know for sure but I don't recall ever seeing a player with intentions to go the NCAA route play a pre-season or rookie camp game. You would be correct about the majority of prospects who go directly to the NCAA after the draft but there are players like Vecvanags who need another year in the BCHL or in the American HS system that I have yet to see play in such a camp. I could be wrong for sure but I would need some evidence to prove otherwise.
I believe it’s about receiving some form of compensation or gifts. It’s pretty restrictive on the part of the ncaa considering they’d be attending camp and just having expenses paid. Funny how they can play in international tournaments and get the same treatment though.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I believe it’s about receiving some form of compensation or gifts. It’s pretty restrictive on the part of the ncaa considering they’d be attending camp and just having expenses paid. Funny how they can play in international tournaments and get the same treatment though.

It is a thinly veiled attempt to specifically hurt the CHL as they include them among the pro teams due to the fact that they are paid even if it is far less than the amount that the college education that NCAA teams are offering.

He hasn’t signed with any ncaa team, so I’m not sure that makes any sense as to why he wouldn’t play next weekend. Not that I care that much. Just curious.

But if his intentions are to sign then it would matter.

There, I found it, Joe Stejskal attended the 2009 Rookie camp, having played two NCAA seasons, and playing two more after that. But we didnt participate in a prospects tournament that year.

Then this would not be an example as he did not play any games.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Then this would not be an example as he did not play any games.
Stejskal attended camp but didn't play any games, so it's clearly an example. Dartmouth starts their academic year a little later than most schools and rookie camp must have started a little earlier that year.

prospects games weren't as popular back then - i'm not even sure if the Habs took part in them before the 2010s. i don't know if they're considered rule-breaking games by NCAA standard, like a pre-season game is.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Stejskal attended camp but didn't play any games, so it's clearly an example. Dartmouth starts their academic year a little later than most schools and rookie camp must have started a little earlier that year.

prospects games weren't as popular back then - i'm not even sure if the Habs took part in them before the 2010s. i don't know if they're considered rule-breaking games by NCAA standard, like a pre-season game is.
I don’t think anyone gets paid to play in pre-season games, so I don’t know why it would be an issue.

Reactions: Shutdown

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
I don’t think anyone gets paid to play in pre-season games, so I don’t know why it would be an issue.
i remember when i was playing, guys would only spend a certain amount of time at Q camps if they wanted to keep their NCAA options open. this was almost 20 years ago so i don't know if eligibility rules have changed.

Reactions: Bacchus1 and cphabs

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
i remember when i was playing, guys would only spend a certain amount of time at Q camps if they wanted to keep their NCAA options open. this was almost 20 years ago so i don't know if eligibility rules have changed.
They haven't changed, but last year I saw an article that was talking about the NCAA looking to make them more loose for CHL players. I don't think the CHL wants them to. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad