OT: The Soccer Football Thread (USA, RBNY, PL, etc.)

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I get where you're coming from but I think the real goal has to be to make MLS a stronger league rather than being able to field a team where the MLS guys don't see the field.

US Soccer has two main problems they have to overcome before they can have real success on the world stage. One is that while a huge percentage of American kids play organized soccer at some point, most never see it as their primary sport. The other is that there isn't enough quality coaching available to kids who do pursue the sport, which results in a national team that can hang with the big dogs but doesn't have the individual skill to capitalize on their opportunities. Having a strong domestic league that is present in the public consciousness is the best way to address both issues.

was curious about the teams that made this tournament this time...teams remaining in colour

not that 16th rank is bad but there is no reason why the US cant be better with an improved program, they have the numbers

Rank - Country - Population ' = 1 Million

16 USA '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

01 BRA '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

13 MEX '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

24 JPN ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

11 GER ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

20 IRN ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

04 FRA '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

05 ENG '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

28 KOR '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

07 ESP '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

03 ARG '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

26 POL ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

41 CAN ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

22 MAR '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

51 KSA '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

31 GHA '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

43 CMR '''''''''''''''''''''''''''

38 AUS ''''''''''''''''''''''''''

44 ECU ''''''''''''''''''

08 NED '''''''''''''''''

18 SEN '''''''''''''''''

02 BEL ''''''''''''

30 TUN ''''''''''''

09 POR ''''''''''

15 SUI '''''''''

21 SRB '''''''''

10 DEN ''''''

31 CRC '''''

12 CRO ''''

14 URU '''

19 WAL '''

50 QAT '''

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I get where you're coming from but I think the real goal has to be to make MLS a stronger league rather than being able to field a team where the MLS guys don't see the field.

US Soccer has two main problems they have to overcome before they can have real success on the world stage. One is that while a huge percentage of American kids play organized soccer at some point, most never see it as their primary sport. The other is that there isn't enough quality coaching available to kids who do pursue the sport, which results in a national team that can hang with the big dogs but doesn't have the individual skill to capitalize on their opportunities. Having a strong domestic league that is present in the public consciousness is the best way to address both issues.

Yup and MLS is only going to get stronger and stronger. It happens every year as it is and the progress in the past decade along is insane.

Messi to Miami has been a rumor for years but if it actually happens next season that's gonna get even more and more eyes on the MLS. Beckham was a huge deal way back when and really helped pushed the league forward. Messi is gonna be just as wild, if not more so.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Yup and MLS is only going to get stronger and stronger. It happens every year as it is and the progress in the past decade along is insane.

Messi to Miami has been a rumor for years but if it actually happens next season that's gonna get even more and more eyes on the MLS. Beckham was a huge deal way back when and really helped pushed the league forward. Messi is gonna be just as wild, if not more so.
Thats the problem and not solution - players coming to get retirement checks. And it also isn't new, Pele came, Beckenbauer came, Gerd Müller, Best...

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
this is my proclamation.

i'm still celebrating the croatian win

and what makes it even sweeter is i dance on the fresh grave of the brazilian loss at the same time

dance with me great loss holders

buy your own drink while you're at it

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Finally, first African team to get to a semi, after years of speculation over who it’d be…first it was supposed to be Nigeria, then Ivory Coast and more recently Ghana, but now Morocco came out of almost nowhere to storm the Iberian Peninsula.

Fjoa0XEWAAAdpjo

Reactions: Capt Nico Poo

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
France!!!! Will they repeat???

Honestly a surprise they came this far without Kante + Pogba + Benzema but they're still finding ways, I think we're headed for Argentina v Morocco final but the Argentinan defense is gonna be insanely banged up versus Croatia. Best World Cup in my life time but it's a shame it's happening in Qatar.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Honestly a surprise they came this far without Kante + Pogba + Benzema but they're still finding ways, I think we're headed for Argentina v Morocco final but the Argentinan defense is gonna be insanely banged up versus Croatia. Best World Cup in my life time but it's a shame it's happening in Qatar.
There's no way Morocco beats France. Sure the French are missing some of their best players but its still a lot better team than Spain or Portugal.

Besides, Pogba is washed up and Kante has not been getting starting nods that often either in Chelsea, they got decent replacements for those two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad