OT: The Soccer Football Thread (USA, RBNY, PL, etc.)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I get all that. It still doesn’t add up to me. You are talking about 11 guys. There are plenty of athletes a bit too short to play basketball or a bit to slender to play football. I’ve had this discussion with my boys and they agree with you but the stats just belie the results.
You would think the US would be able to come up with at least one first-class striker since Americans understand the glory of scoring goals, but they've seemingly never had anything close to that aside from the Donovan/Dempsey crew.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
You would think the US would be able to come up with at least one first-class striker since Americans understand the glory of scoring goals, but they've seemingly never had anything close to that aside from the Donovan/Dempsey crew.
To me the argument that our best athletes play football, basketball, baseball, hockey, or maybe golf is over simplified. My kids' high school is a good example. The football team is of course top dog. They even have a very good basketball team that has put a few guys into Divison 1 colleges. The baseball team is solid as well and puts players into Division 1 colleges. The golf team the same. Even the lacrosse team has put a couple of kids into college. it's the US south. Athletics are big and football is king.

Even in that environment, the soccer team is something special. They are routinely ranked nationally for the winter season and have several state titles. This is in an area with little soccer history. There are plenty of kids between 6 foot and 6 foot three or 6 foot four who don't have great outside shooting and don't have the bulk to be power forwards or linebackers. A few can be receivers but many lack the hands for that or the willingness to get blasted as only a football player can. In some cases the parents won't let a kid play football here. I don't blame them, it's pretty brutal.

I have to believe around the US there are plenty of very good athletes not quite dense and heavy enough to be linebackers or not quite fast enough to be point guards, can't hit a curve, etc. Let's face it, soccer is a unique skill set. Run tirelessly for 90+ minutes and have amazing footwork. Someone who fits that bill isn't necessarily suited for the other sports. Just my thoughts. I'm sure some of the US soccer hierarchy have pondered this very same issue and so far there are no obvious answers.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
To me the argument that our best athletes play football, basketball, baseball, hockey, or maybe golf is over simplified. My kids' high school is a good example. The football team is of course top dog. They even have a very good basketball team that has put a few guys into Divison 1 colleges. The baseball team is solid as well and puts players into Division 1 colleges. The golf team the same. Even the lacrosse team has put a couple of kids into college. it's the US south. Athletics are big and football is king.

Even in that environment, the soccer team is something special. They are routinely ranked nationally for the winter season and have several state titles. This is in an area with little soccer history. There are plenty of kids between 6 foot and 6 foot three or 6 foot four who don't have great outside shooting and don't have the bulk to be power forwards or linebackers. A few can be receivers but many lack the hands for that or the willingness to get blasted as only a football player can. In some cases the parents won't let a kid play football here. I don't blame them, it's pretty brutal.

I have to believe around the US there are plenty of very good athletes not quite dense and heavy enough to be linebackers or not quite fast enough to be point guards, can't hit a curve, etc. Let's face it, soccer is a unique skill set. Run tirelessly for 90+ minutes and have amazing footwork. Someone who fits that bill isn't necessarily suited for the other sports. Just my thoughts. I'm sure some of the US soccer hierarchy have pondered this very same issue and so far there are no obvious answers.

Yeah our best athletes don't even play soccer, most countries have maybe hockey to contend with, other countries maybe it's cricket and then there's some countries where it's just soccer. We have legit 4-5 sports that supersede soccer in this country.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yeah our best athletes don't even play soccer, most countries have maybe hockey to contend with, other countries maybe it's cricket and then there's some countries where it's just soccer. We have legit 4-5 sports that supersede soccer in this country.
We have plenty of kids that are fast and tall and can't shoot from the outside or hit a curveball and get alligator arms over the middle. Those kids can be top tier soccer players. The US competes favorably in most second tier sports that have niche followings with limited numbers of kids playing but we can't find 11 soccer players from the 20-33 age group? I get all the reasons why. Something just doesn't add up, soccer culture or no culture.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I usually root for Italy as my number 1 international team and USA as my 2nd (Im an Italian citizen but have never been there yet lol). Sucks Italy didn't make it but I have no issue rooting for USA and follow them decently. Tyler Adams is also from my town I currently have lived in the last 30 years (Wappingers Falls , NY just outside of Poughkeepsie). Seems like the tri state area has pumped out some good players over the years. My coworkers daughter is friends with Reyna's girlfriend too lol. Hopefully he gets some minutes , I get they wanted to defend that lead and all. If a kid is 20 and has been getting in games for a team like Dortmund I'm pretty sure he is good enough to play over an MLS'er. Netherlands have a good back line and have only allowed 1 goal all tournament , they are going to be a harder challenge than Iran.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
US soccer needs to follow the USA hockey model. Get a bunch of older players to retire and live here and have their kids born here and grow up as Americans. :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: My3Sons and markog

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
this is disappointing.

this is not first time our fans have done shit like this... but not to deflect off of this news but i've seen fans of many teams jeer players on their own team that werent the specific race they wanted ...be it whatever race ....its upsetting

... with all the talk of soccer for all (even sports for all) it seems there's still ways to go.

/off soapbox

edit: and this was today... U.S. Soccer Team Captain Tyler Adams Is Poised When Shady Reporter Asks About Racism At Qatar World Cup

Last edited:

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I usually root for Italy as my number 1 international team and USA as my 2nd (Im an Italian citizen but have never been there yet lol). Sucks Italy didn't make it but I have no issue rooting for USA and follow them decently. Tyler Adams is also from my town I currently have lived in the last 30 years (Wappingers Falls , NY just outside of Poughkeepsie). Seems like the tri state area has pumped out some good players over the years. My coworkers daughter is friends with Reyna's girlfriend too lol. Hopefully he gets some minutes , I get they wanted to defend that lead and all. If a kid is 20 and has been getting in games for a team like Dortmund I'm pretty sure he is good enough to play over an MLS'er. Netherlands have a good back line and have only allowed 1 goal all tournament , they are going to be a harder challenge than Iran.
And here in lies part of the problem.

I have friends who will cheer for Switzerland, Portugal, England, Mexico, and Ireland over the US.

They're all American.

Then you have that traitor from NJ who played for Italy.

How can you build a sport in this country where even a lot of its fans couldn't care less whether or not we succeed?

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Spain is my #2 since that’s the majority of my heritage, so when/if USA gets eliminated I have a pretty good backup lol.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
US soccer needs to follow the USA hockey model. Get a bunch of older players to retire and live here and have their kids born here and grow up as Americans. :sarcasm:

Maybe it's already in the works. Isn't that essentially what happened with Weah?

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
And here in lies part of the problem.

I have friends who will cheer for Switzerland, Portugal, England, Mexico, and Ireland over the US.

They're all American.

Then you have that traitor from NJ who played for Italy.

How can you build a sport in this country where even a lot of its fans couldn't care less whether or not we succeed?
I mean it's hard to explain kind of. I'm an American and U.S. citizen first and foremost. It's just the fact that Italy was better when I started to follow soccer more around the mid 2000s when I played as a kid. This was before the MLS got big and I was using Italian teams when playing FIFA and what not. I learned more about my heritage and learned to really embrace it. My family always roots for USA and Italy when it comes to sports , but when it comes to soccer we gravitate towards Italy more. It's not the same for a sport like say hockey where Italys national team is not good even though they have decent teams/league from the northern part of the country by Germany and Switzerland. I probably come off as sounding like a traitor but it'd not the case. If I had to root between the 2 hypothetically for a world cup final between USA and Italy than it would be pretty heart wrenching.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Japan leading Spain and Costa Rica leading Germany? Damn you could have cleaned house with that parlay

Reactions: Rhodes 81

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
LOL Germany out despite beating Costa Rica, drawing with Spain and leading Japan for 75 minutes. Japan beating Spain and Germany while losing to Costa Rica has to be the weirdest-ass first round from one team I can remember.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
LOL Germany out despite beating Costa Rica, drawing with Spain and leading Japan for 75 minutes. Japan beating Spain and Germany while losing to Costa Rica has to be the weirdest-ass first round from one team I can remember.
I was hoping for Japan and Costa Rica to come out of the group but it’s still pretty fun to have Japan win the group and Germany not advance.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00