OT: The Soccer Football Thread (USA, RBNY, PL, etc.)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm sick of the Messi win a cup talk, gives me ptsd from Ray Bourque. Hope France takes it. There hasn't been a repeat world cup winner since Brazil in 58 and 62. Been a few winners who went to the finals and lost in the next world cup since then. Brazil won 94 lost 98 final. Argentina won 86 lost 90 final.
LOL the WC Final does sort of remind me of the 2001 Final in general...defending champ with a loaded roster against a talented, decorated challenger in a glamour matchup with the people's choice for winning his first title at the end of a long career.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
LOL the WC Final does sort of remind me of the 2001 Final in general...defending champ with a loaded roster against a talented, decorated challenger in a glamour matchup with the people's choice for winning his first title at the end of a long career.

Except Messi didn't move to Argentina last year, explicitly in order to win the World Cup. :laugh:

I do see the parallels though.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I haven't been able to watch most of the games aside from the US while they were in it. I picked France to win it before it started though. They had a young squad back in 2018 so I figured they should all still be in their prime for the most part and there really wasn't any clear favorite to me beside them. Brazil is always a threat but they can't seem to win the big games in the last few WC's. Belgium , England , Argentina etc all have good teams but I just don't see Argentina winning this thing. This has been a crazy World Cup with all the upsets and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Messi win one but I just see Mbappe and France going back to back. I'm just glad Brazil is out since they have 5 wins and that Italy has 4 so hopefully Italy wins the next one and can tie them 🙂. Argentina and France both have 2 so one of them will be making it their 3rd this Sunday.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
had this book for a long time. its amazing.

incredible artwork and content...plenty to think about. grab a copy if you can

Is that the book where you are told not to call a penalty if the other team ha slaready and two extra power plays or thr one where you call the foul because the guy who flopped in front of you without being touched is named Harden or the one where you don’t call pass interference on obvious pass interference and then double down when you have a chance to talk it over because your hometown team has a Super Bowl on the line. Or is it the one where you call the game based on how you bet on it?

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Is that the book where you are told not to call a penalty if the other team ha slaready and two extra power plays or thr one where you call the foul because the guy who flopped in front of you without being touched is named Harden or the one where you don’t call pass interference on obvious pass interference and then double down when you have a chance to talk it over because your hometown team has a Super Bowl on the line. Or is it the one where you call the game based on how you bet on it?

no, that's this one

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Thanks a lot Argentina you just gave me flashbacks to the Devils last year

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Not sure I understand not wanting a legend to cap off his career with a world cup in his last chance but whatever. Ugh I really don't like France...

Cause I don't care about Messi or nice sports stories. The nonstop yapping about him gives me Ray Bourque ptsd, can't stand listening to it all tournament.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Cause I don't care about Messi or nice sports stories. The nonstop yapping about him gives me Ray Bourque ptsd, can't stand listening to it all tournament.

Lol.

I can't root for France because they have like, 1 French player on the team. It is less about Messi getting his and more about not wanting the "French" team to win.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So you'd rather have France win two in a row? You'll be sick of hearing about the threepeat and Mbappe even more in four years.

I could understand rooting for Morocco or Croatia over Argentina but this is some weird transferrence

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
So you'd rather have France win two in a row? You'll be sick of hearing about the threepeat and Mbappe even more in four years.

We could all be dead by then, I'll worry about that bridge when we get there lol I wanted a good game the most and at least we are getting that now compared to what the 1st half was.

What a save by the French keeper on Messi!

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Wild game.

One thing this does for me is kill any hope that the US could realistically complete for a world cup. These teams are many orders of magnitude better.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Wild game.

One thing this does for me is kill any hope that the US could realistically complete for a world cup. These teams are many orders of magnitude better.

I'd be super happy if we can do something like Morocco did, we have no shot at actually winning the whole thing

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
This better end in normal play. I hate penalties. Would be a travesty for a game like this to end in a crapshoot.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You can't deny that Messi deserves this...now the rest of the damn team needs to hang on for once

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad