OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers need a new ball thrower for the handball game thingy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
If I was Omar Khan I'd be on the phone all week with every team in the league to find anyone that can block. Cut Kendrick Green immediately.

The only guy who looked somewhat competent was Mason Cole.

Last edited:

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
I think this team is looking like we thought it would: the offense will struggle, mostly because of the line, and the D will hold up for a little while in the game but if anyone significant gets injured, that’s it…there’s zero lb depth…will be surprised if they have a winning record at the end of the season and hopefully people won’t be able to keep saying “ Tomlin has never had a losing record,” like that’s the mark of a really good coach lol
The worst part about it is even after last season, which objectively was mismanaged by him and Colbert, this narrative has been shoved even deeper down our throats. They then double down and neglect to draft a single offensive lineman in the draft and call it a day by signing two middle-of-the-road linemen. No playoff wins in 10 years, time to put up or shut up.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
They had too many holes to patch things up in one season but I'm a big believer that if you have a bad line (offense or defense) there's absolutely nothing you can do to hide it. You can have a committee at RB, your WR room can lack that top end talent, your LB can have a weak link (cough bush cough) but your line must be solid. And they've been dropping the ball on the oline for a few years now. They haven't gotten a reasonable line coach post-munchak. They haven't invested in the draft. They came into this season with 10mm in cap space and keep shoveling money to other positions. This line is unacceptably bad. Their best guys, Cole and Chuks, are the type of guys you'd want to be your weakest players there.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Agree with everyone complaining about the line. The worrying one to me - or perhaps reason for optimism - is Daniels. Lot of pundits liked that signing and he hasn't come through. Suggests there might be a bunch of problems beyond talent spotting... Or that this is just a slow start.

Also, I recall reading that Weidl likes to focus on the trenches, so fingers crossed that's true on next year's recruitment...

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Dotson just hasn’t been able to be consistently healthy. If he wouldn’t have missed a decent chunk of camp, I don’t think there’d be much of a competition.

Reactions: Peat

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
They had too many holes to patch things up in one season but I'm a big believer that if you have a bad line (offense or defense) there's absolutely nothing you can do to hide it. You can have a committee at RB, your WR room can lack that top end talent, your LB can have a weak link (cough bush cough) but your line must be solid. And they've been dropping the ball on the oline for a few years now. They haven't gotten a reasonable line coach post-munchak. They haven't invested in the draft. They came into this season with 10mm in cap space and keep shoveling money to other positions. This line is unacceptably bad. Their best guys, Cole and Chuks, are the type of guys you'd want to be your weakest players there.
Agreed, I would be way more confident with a mixture of Jaylen Warren and Anthony McFarland behind a good offensive line than I am with Najee running behind this mishmash of guys. Not to mention it would help the QB immensely.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
No one watch videos of Quinn Meinerz...who is the G we should have drafted instead. We got way too cute with that Green pick.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
That may not be as bad on green as it looks. Could be he was expecting an assist from Cole on the inside rush. would love to hear the actual breakdown from someone in the know.

Agreed- hard to say what the assignments were
But even outside of this play, Green has looked not good. At least they're playing him in a position that he has experience in.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Gonna be a long season for all the "but we fixed the O-line in FA" folks.

Not sure who said that…?

Steelers big splash OL FA signings were two guys who were known as pretty good run blockers, but have a history of poor pass blocking.

Anyone aware of the history of these two shouldn’t be surprised they aren’t doing aces at pass blocking.

Signing with the Steelers doesn’t make your career issues melt away.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Gonna be a long season for all the "but we fixed the O-line in FA" folks.
Green Dotson Daniels and Cole are very good inside zone run blockers. It’s going to take some time to get communication and trust down.. Add play action roll outs movement of the launch point they can easy go from bottom 5 to 20 to 17 in on off season

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Did anyone actually say they fixed the O-Line? Or just that they expect it to be an improvement from last year?

Semantics.

"Fixed" as in "we added a few guys in FA and moved others around, we're good now".
That’s not what ‘semantics’ is. “We’re good now” is not the same as the other stuff that’s being asked about.

Last edited:

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
I can't remember exactly how he said it but RG3 said on a show yesterday that he worked out with Pickett and he was extremely impressed with his football knowledge, said he could hold a conversation with Brady. You can see glimpses of it in his decision-making.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Is it better for the Steelers to be competitive this year or bottom out (bottom 5/10 team)? Can see argument for both.

Ultimately I’d side with whatever helps you develop and set up KP for success for the next decade; hard to know which that is though.

Could see having two top 40 picks on top of cap room being hugely beneficial even if just right away in ‘23. Could also see it as a wasted year of a lot of talented players if not competitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad