OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers need a new ball thrower for the handball game thingy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Mark Robinson is getting some press, and I think it's deserving. The guy hits like a Mack truck. He's giving some Clark Haggans vibes. He seems to be reading the plays well also. Coming from the offensive side of the ball gives him a leg up. That would be a huge find if he works out and could make the potential loss of Bush a non-story.

It’s worked out for the Bengals because Joe Burrow is a generational talent at QB… Kenny Pickett is not

I don't think Burrow was really pegged as a generational guy, as he was only seen as a legit 1st rounder his senior year at LSU...and he still may not be. It's too early to tell. And guys who have been pegged as generational guys in recent memory either had horrific injury issues (Luck) or have underperformed (Lawrence). I think Burrow could be one of this generations big name QBs, but he needs to consistently do what he did last season to be that. I don't think Burrow has much more skill than Pickett. What makes Burrow so great is between the ears and his intangibles. I think Pickett has many of the same traits. I'm not saying Pickett will be better than Burrow, but from the extremely small sample we have seen, Pickett could be a really good find for the city of Pittsburgh and he was right under our noses the entire time.

I don't think it can be stressed enough the comfort factor for Pickett where he was able to come back to the same city, in the same facility, around the same faces. He just has to worry about adapting to the speed of the game and none of the other shit that goes along with being drafted.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I didn't get a chance to see the last game, and watched an abbreviated version. There are a lot of Youtubers that do great positional breakdowns of units. Kendrick Green may as well have been on ice skates. Zero resistance to the defensive front and about as bad as a sophomore start as we could have envisioned, I think.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
It’s worked out for the Bengals because Joe Burrow is a generational talent at QB… Kenny Pickett is not
Pickett and Burrow are pretty similar imo. Neither are remarkable physical talents. Burrow is maybe a little bigger with a slightly stronger arm than Kenny. They play a similar style.

Wouldn’t call Burrow generational from a talent perspective whatsoever. Or from a performance perspective. And that’s no slight.

Mahomes is really the only guy with a generational claim imo.

Herbert might be the most physically talented young guy in the league though.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Mark Robinson is getting some press, and I think it's deserving. The guy hits like a Mack truck. He's giving some Clark Haggans vibes. He seems to be reading the plays well also. Coming from the offensive side of the ball gives him a leg up. That would be a huge find if he works out and could make the potential loss of Bush a non-story.

I don't think Burrow was really pegged as a generational guy, as he was only seen as a legit 1st rounder his senior year at LSU...and he still may not be. It's too early to tell. And guys who have been pegged as generational guys in recent memory either had horrific injury issues (Luck) or have underperformed (Lawrence). I think Burrow could be one of this generations big name QBs, but he needs to consistently do what he did last season to be that. I don't think Burrow has much more skill than Pickett. What makes Burrow so great is between the ears and his intangibles. I think Pickett has many of the same traits. I'm not saying Pickett will be better than Burrow, but from the extremely small sample we have seen, Pickett could be a really good find for the city of Pittsburgh and he was right under our noses the entire time.

I don't think it can be stressed enough the comfort factor for Pickett where he was able to come back to the same city, in the same facility, around the same faces. He just has to worry about adapting to the speed of the game and none of the other shit that goes along with being drafted.
Luck had injury issues a few years in, but while he was a solid starting QB, showed that that he was nowhere near as good as the hype.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
2013/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019

The Steelers did not draft a single offensive lineman in any of those drafts.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
2013/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019

The Steelers did not draft a single offensive lineman in any of those drafts.
This is totally incorrect. My first thought was, wouldn't Chuks have been drafted in that time frame.....and he was, 3rd round 2018.

So then, I decided to look up the other years. The Steelers drafted an OL in, 2019, 2018 and 2016.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
This is totally incorrect. My first thought was, wouldn't Chuks have been drafted in that time frame.....and he was, 3rd round 2018.

So then, I decided to look up the other years. The Steelers drafted an OL in, 2019, 2018 and 2016.

And what would an OL in 2013 have done for us now? They had a top 5 line in the league for a good portion of the 2010s so it really wouldn’t have helped then either

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
With details, what exactly does Burrow's game have that Pickett absolutely does not have?
Something that can't be taught...
oGQDkG.gif

• Haha
Reactions: pistolpete11

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
I mean... nobody really knows anything, but Kenny doesn't strike me as the low-ceiling type from what I've seen so far. Some of the throws he's made are legit NFL star quarterback throws. He really looks ready to kick ass. Now about that O-line...

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I love to laugh. Learn to be funny.
I can't help you have a weird affinity for Pickett. His hand size thing is quite the funny topic.

You want real talk? Burrow is going to be a top 5 QB for a long time. That's about set in stone. What isn't? Kenny Pickett proving to be anything more than an average QB. Can he? Sure he can but I see his ceiling as above average starter. He's got a metric ton to prove before being crowned the next great one.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I can't help you have a weird affinity for Pickett. His hand size thing is quite the funny topic.

You want real talk? Burrow is going to be a top 5 QB for a long time. That's about set in stone. What isn't? Kenny Pickett proving to be anything more than an average QB. Can he? Sure he can but I see his ceiling as above average starter. He's got a metric ton to prove before being crowned the next great one.

Any Uncle Jack reference gets at least a chuckle out of me. Some people just take message board talk way too seriously.

Reactions: Flying Dego

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Something that can't be taught...
View attachment 579209

if KP becomes a good QB, it will be pretty comical about his hands being the reason he slipped down to the Steelers.

I get not everyone is aware of the innovations with gloves today, or has experience using them, but they make it way easier to grip and rip a ball.

Other coaches/GMs stupidity and superstitions may end up being to the Steelers great gain.

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB

I don't understand why you have to be so pessimistic. Not every successful QB is going to look the same. Some wear gloves, some don't, some are drafted in the 6th round and look super unathletic and become 6 time Superbowl champs. Let the guy play and if you're a Steelers fan cheer for him to do well.

His current stat line.

2 incompletions-not including the spike
3 touchdowns

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't understand why you have to be so pessimistic. Not every successful QB is going to look the same. Some wear gloves, some don't, some are drafted in the 6th round and look super unathletic and become 6 time Superbowl champs. Let the guy play and if you're a Steelers fan cheer for him to do well.

His current stat line.

2 incompletions-not including the spike
3 touchdowns

I think he/she is just saying you can’t anoint someone until they have proven themselves.

Things have gone as well as we could have hoped to this point, but KP has many tougher tests ahead to pass.

However, a couple ppl on this page are already anointing Burrows as well and I don’t even agree with that.

Burrows has shown promise, but we need to wait a few years to see if he can sustain his success or if his playoff success was a one year thing.

KP is a couple yrs behind Burrows and first has to proof he can play well in the league.

Can he read exotic defenses and play under pressure? Can he win in the playoffs?

If he can accomplish those things, then he will be in a similar position as Burrows is now - Ie having to prove he can sustain his success.

Reactions: Peat

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I think there has to be some middle ground between his ceiling is a middling starter and he's the next great QB because of 2 pre-season games.

This is the internet though, so pick your side of the hot take and argue until death.

The small hand talk will never not be funny to me, whether it is being used as an actual criticism of KP or if it is being used to mock people who use it as an actual criticism.
I assumed RHIII meant by being able to hold a conversation with Tom Brady was around deflating balls for those little paws.

It was such a ridiculous thing invented by draft insiderz looking for a critical talking point that you had to laugh at it.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad