OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers need a new ball thrower for the handball game thingy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
RG3 said on a show yesterday that he worked out with Pickett and he was extremely impressed with his football knowledge,

I'm sure RG3 knows "football knowledge" when he sees it! 😆

I'm reserving judgment until I hear what Ryan Leaf thinks, though.

Obviously Pickett has looked just fine so far even without much protection from his line, and he should only get better but we'll have to see what happens when (if) he gets into a game that counts.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB

Obviously Pickett has looked just fine so far even without much protection from his line, and he should only get better but we'll have to see what happens when (if) he gets into a game that counts.
I don't hear him giving the same praise to any other QB in the draft.

RG wasn't the best starter, sure, but I think his opinion is valid based on the fact he's actually worked out with him and seemingly spoke with him at length about football.

I guess if you don't want to talk football during the pre-season you could always go talk about the Pirates?

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Is it better for the Steelers to be competitive this year or bottom out (bottom 5/10 team)? Can see argument for both.

Ultimately I’d side with whatever helps you develop and set up KP for success for the next decade; hard to know which that is though.

Could see having two top 40 picks on top of cap room being hugely beneficial even if just right away in ‘23. Could also see it as a wasted year of a lot of talented players if not competitive.

I’ll say competitive just because that will likely mean a lot of their questions marks ended up working out just fine and they’ll be able to just focus on a few areas vs trying to revamp the roster.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I don't hear him giving the same praise to any other QB in the draft.

RG wasn't the best starter, sure, but I think his opinion is valid based on the fact he's actually worked out with him and seemingly spoke with him at length about football.

I guess if you don't want to talk football during the pre-season you could always go talk about the Pirates?

It's not really a knock on what you said. But it's the same consideration you hear in every sport "I worked out with player X this off season and I knew he'd be great"

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
It's not really a knock on what you said. But it's the same consideration you hear in every sport "I worked out with player X this off season and I knew he'd be great"
I understand, what RG said was that he's very smart, never claimed he will be a Hall of Famer. Watching Kenny in the first couple of games it's pretty obvious to see that based on his quick reads. The throws to Friermuth and Diontae were good examples of that.

The quick reads make the oline look better.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

RG3 was a very good player until his coach put him in while injured and his knee got destroyed.

Reactions: Rave7215

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I can't remember exactly how he said it but RG3 said on a show yesterday that he worked out with Pickett and he was extremely impressed with his football knowledge, said he could hold a conversation with Brady. You can see glimpses of it in his decision-making.
Does Tom Brady only speak in some ancient, dead Mediterranean tongue that only a select few chosen people can speak or what?

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Does Tom Brady only speak some ancient, dead Mediterranean language that only a select few chosen people can speak or what?

Thank you
If you've made it to this level, you understand the concepts and can read coverages in 99% of scenarios. This isn't rocket surgery

The real difference between an NFL QB and a really good college one is the ability to throw receivers open in the NFL vs the receivers being wide open in college.

So it's rarely a failure of understanding defenses or route running. It's the ability to anticipate when to throw that ball and what kind of trajectory you need to put on it. KNOWING what to do vs EXECUTING that throw is a major gap.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Good look at Burrow’s line opening week of his rookie year.

It has worked out for he and the Bengals. But not sure I’d throw Kenny into that right off the rip.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Good look at Burrow’s line opening week of his rookie year.

It has worked out for he and the Bengals. But not sure I’d throw Kenny into that right off the rip.

I’m a huge proponent of KP playing now, but watching this line and being unsure of Tomlin’s willingness to play a ball control offense, I’m starting to lean towards hoping MT starts.

He’s just more athletic and better at running for his life.

Maybe the line becomes less of an albatross as the season goes on and KP can get in there then.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I’m a huge proponent of KP playing now, but watching this line and being unsure of Tomlin’s willingness to play a ball control offense, I’m starting to lean towards hoping MT starts.

He’s just more athletic and better at running for his life.

Maybe the line becomes less of an albatross as the season goes on and KP can get in there then.

Mitch was signed to be the bridge, so let him bridge. I don't want Pickett to be David Carr'd and be ruined.

Note that Carr was sacked 76 times his rookie year! Considering what I've seen thru 2 pre season games, they might eclipse that mark :eek3:

Reactions: bigdaddyk88

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
Mitch was signed to be the bridge, so let him bridge. I don't want Pickett to be David Carr'd and be ruined.

Note that Carr was sacked 76 times his rookie year! Considering what I've seen thru 2 pre season games, they might eclipse that mark :eek3:
You're right, they need to shore up this line first. After a week or two it will be apparent whether it'll be smart to put him in.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
In only marginally Steeler-related news, noticed that our Josh Dobbs may beat out Josh Rosen to hold the clipboard in Cleveland, which means, if Rosen is cut and isn't picked up, at age 25 he will have made over $18.6 million in the NFL over four seasons, in which he mostly didn't play and really blew when he did play. I guess when you're the 10OA pick at QB, teams are willing to take chances on horrible college scouting for at least four years before they (maybe) give up. I do remember Aikman, who I like alot as a commentator, saying he thought Rosen would be the only NFL starter out of that 2018 QB class.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Wait Steelers Super Duper Insider Gerry Dulac after drafting the QB in 7th Rd. said Rudolph's days as a Steeler were numbered! & they cut the guy today without him ever getting a snap in Exhibition games

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Lol. They all suck honestly. 30m dollar man right there.

The only hope that this line has is that Mike Munchak feels bad enough to come back and help.

Next round of cuts in

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... clubs/amp/

LB Genard Avery
WR Christian Blake
RB Mataeo Durant
QB Chris Oladokun
K Nick Sciba
Hopefully they can squeeze Oladokun through. He has some nice skill and could be a fun project for the team.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Lol. They all suck honestly. 30m dollar man right there.

The only hope that this line has is that Mike Munchak feels bad enough to come back and help.

Hopefully they can squeeze Oladokun through. He has some nice skill and could be a fun project for the team.
Munchak loves his family to much to come back. He is taking the year off from coaching and staying in Denver

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad