OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers need a new ball thrower for the handball game thingy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think Kenny is looking as good as we could have expected him to. He seems to be in control and have an understanding of where to put the ball. I think he is fine as the QB2. I like Trubisky's ability to move around and avoid sacks, but that line is still horrendous. Tyler Vaughns may be a really nice pickup for us as a depth receiver. He's got good hands and some shake to his game.

If Kenny Pickett does turn into a franchise QB, with him and Najee at the helm, we may have two of the most likable personalities in the sport as the face of our franchise.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Completely agree…

EuphoricBonyDutchshepherddog-max-1mb.gif

Also, I feel like throwing a rookie QB behind a **** OL is one of the more sure fire ways of jacking up their development.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
The line definitely was disappointing, but they are pretty young and it’s a group that’s never really played together so there could be some improvement as the season goes on. Hopefully two or three guys can show they’re capable of being future pieces and then the team can aggressively build out the rest in free agency and the draft next year.

Obviously it’s only two preseason game, but it’s looking like Colbert may have gone out with a bang with this draft class. It looks really promising so far

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think this team is looking like we thought it would: the offense will struggle, mostly because of the line, and the D will hold up for a little while in the game but if anyone significant gets injured, that’s it…there’s zero lb depth…will be surprised if they have a winning record at the end of the season and hopefully people won’t be able to keep saying “ Tomlin has never had a losing record,” like that’s the mark of a really good coach lol

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
EuphoricBonyDutchshepherddog-max-1mb.gif

Also, I feel like throwing a rookie QB behind a **** OL is one of the more sure fire ways of jacking up their development.

God's ain truth. The biggest knock on Pickett that worries me is the talk about how he gets skittish and leaves the pocket too soon because he got used to running for his life in Pitt. I want to see that trained out of him, not reinforced.

Yeah it's ridiculous that this is how it is, but it is how it is and it's not going to change at this point. Just gotta hope these guys gel and improve, and that if they don't Khan gets it right next off-season.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Through two preseason games, Pickett has completed 17 of 22 attempts for 171 yards with three touchdowns, no picks and a QBR of 138.6.

I mean you can’t ask for much more out of preseason. He looks ready to face the ups and downs, but I still like what I’m seeing out of Mitch. Hopefully KP pushes Mitch to play his best and the problem we have is indeed a good one.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
God's ain truth. The biggest knock on Pickett that worries me is the talk about how he gets skittish and leaves the pocket too soon because he got used to running for his life in Pitt. I want to see that trained out of him, not reinforced.

Yeah it's ridiculous that this is how it is, but it is how it is and it's not going to change at this point. Just gotta hope these guys gel and improve, and that if they don't Khan gets it right next off-season.

You should play your best players and as Tomlin says “not live in your fears”.

They can protect KP and play a ball control offense like I alluded to the other day.

They don’t have to spread the field and leave him vulnerable to as many hits.

He, like Roth, thrives on the spread, however.

So it is in a way a catch 22 that they can’t let him do what he does best out of safety concerns.

Despite that, I feel 100% more confident in this team winning with a ball control offense with KP under center (literally)… than MT trying to run for his life every play doing the full playbook.

Reactions: Andy99

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Completely agree…

And he's locked replies to mentions/followed so no one can reply with "Well, they should just march on down to OL r'Us in the morning and snag some during the 2 for 1 special".

Is it just me or do some of the sports media in Pittsburgh have a weird adoration of Pickett? Hey I like the guy but it's kinda creepy.

They do, but only because it gives good story material. They can write endless amounts of love letter type stories framed on the super original "local boy makes good" narrative.

Hacks, all of them.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You should play your best players and as Tomlin says “not live in your fears”.

They can protect KP and play a ball control offense like I alluded to the other day.

They don’t have to spread the field and leave him vulnerable to as many hits.

He, like Roth, thrives on the spread, however.

So it is in a way a catch 22 that they can’t let him do what he does best out of safety concerns.

Despite that, I feel 100% more confident in this team winning with a ball control offense with KP under center (literally)… than MT trying to run for his life every play doing the full playbook.

I am very happy to see them take at least a nice long extended vacation to their fears when it comes to Pickett's development, and put that above winning this season.

And it might be I'm worrying too much - I certainly know a hell of a lot less about how they might protect the dude than you - but that's where I am. His placement, poise and reads look like he could be a long term successful QB, making that happen is where I put the priority.

Also, unless the OL gets a lot better, I think they're going to struggle to run the ball, isn't that going to make balll control pretty difficult?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
On the starter's spot, I think I'd prefer Trubisky starting. Pickett's play has warranted him getting a chance at the starter's role, but I see little to no downside in being patient with him. Rushing Pickett to the starting role could have an adverse impact on his development, which seems like a pretty needless risk to take when you consider where the team is at right now. This year is a retooling year more than anything else IMO.

The decision to start Pickett or Trubisky should be completely influenced by what helps the team next year and beyond, because they're not realistically winning anything this year. Even optimistic expectations for this year put them at around 10-7.

What I'd advocate for with the starter's role is Trubisky starts until he plays himself out of the role or until the Steelers get eliminated from making the playoffs. At that point, then you put Pickett in.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I am very happy to see them take at least a nice long extended vacation to their fears when it comes to Pickett's development, and put that above winning this season.

And it might be I'm worrying too much - I certainly know a hell of a lot less about how they might protect the dude than you - but that's where I am. His placement, poise and reads look like he could be a long term successful QB, making that happen is where I put the priority.

Also, unless the OL gets a lot better, I think they're going to struggle to run the ball, isn't that going to make balll control pretty difficult?
Pass protection is a different animal than running the ball for OL.

Daniels and Cole are significantly better run blockers than pass protectors.

Basically good run blockers and not very good pass blockers.

I assumed at the time of their signings the moves signified the Steelers were going to be a ball control offense with Harris leading the way.

Which made sense at the time given Roth retiring and the extremely high chances of having a blah QB come fall.

So ya I feel KP would be way less exposed this way and a ball control offense under him would be efficient (not great or anything though).

I don’t much care what they do though, I expect this to be a break even type season. As long as KP gets a few games of experience, that’s all I care about.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
We better invest in the OL heavily at the top of the draft (first 3 rounds) the next 2 drafts. Hopefully free agency is kind to us with opportunities to fill our roster holes since we'll be better off cap-wise than we have been in years.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
On the starter's spot, I think I'd prefer Trubisky starting. Pickett's play has warranted him getting a chance at the starter's role, but I see little to no downside in being patient with him. Rushing Pickett to the starting role could have an adverse impact on his development, which seems like a pretty needless risk to take when you consider where the team is at right now. This year is a retooling year more than anything else IMO.

The decision to start Pickett or Trubisky should be completely influenced by what helps the team next year and beyond, because they're not realistically winning anything this year. Even optimistic expectations for this year put them at around 10-7.

What I'd advocate for with the starter's role is Trubisky starts until he plays himself out of the role or until the Steelers get eliminated from making the playoffs. At that point, then you put Pickett in.

what? 10-7 would make them a playoff team…the Steelers will think that’s a successful season since that’s all they care about these days…Tomlin can’t win a playoff game…if they get to 10-7 with trubisky, he may be starting again next season…no we need them 8-9 or lower lol

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We better invest in the OL heavily at the top of the draft (first 3 rounds) the next 2 drafts. Hopefully free agency is kind to us with opportunities to fill our roster holes since we'll be better off cap-wise than we have been in years.

They kinda already did that by bringing in Cole and Daniels, though.

I think they need a single difference maker on their offensive line more than anything. I think Okorafor, Cole and Daniels are all decent enough or better starters, but their young guys have not done really well at all and I don't really get the impression that they have an "anchor" on that offensive line.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
They kinda already did that by bringing in Cole and Daniels, though.

I think they need a single difference maker on their offensive line more than anything. I think Okorafor, Cole and Daniels are all decent enough or better starters, but their young guys have not done really well at all and I don't really get the impression that they have an "anchor" on that offensive line.
I don't think Cole or Okorafor are playoff team quality starters. In fact, I don't think Cole is a quality NFL starter period. He'll need upgrading in the next year or two. Moore is downright awful. We need to go OT in the first round in 2023.

Last edited:

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I don't think Cole or Okorafor are playoff team quality starters. In fact, I don't think Cole is a quality NFL starter period. He'll need upgrading in the next year or two. Moore is downright awful. We need to go OT in the first round in 2023.
Chucks is the one guy I am not worried about they will cover for the OT by moving the pocket and rolling the Qb. Moore is an upgrade over Villanueva

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
what? 10-7 would make them a playoff team…the Steelers will think that’s a successful season since that’s all they care about these days…Tomlin can’t win a playoff game…if they get to 10-7 with trubisky, he may be starting again next season…no we need them 8-9 or lower lol
No chance....KP is Tomlin’s guy. Everything else is smoke

That may not be as bad on green as it looks. Could be he was expecting an assist from Cole on the inside rush. would love to hear the actual breakdown from someone in the know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad