OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers need a new ball thrower for the handball game thingy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Loudermilk was the only 2nd team DL playing at all I think. The guys getting around in the second half won't play a ton this year even if there are injuries.

Linebacker though, that looks thin.
Depends on Leal but yeah him and loudermilk were the only of the 6 starters to play in the 2nd half wormley played in the 1st. We knew olb 3 and 4 was a major problem

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Ya the energy when KP came onto the field was a lot of fun.

1st round rookie QBs bring hope more than any other player and the crowd was stoked to see what their young guy could do.
And the oc called plays to protect him he finished ahead of mason with 6.2 ypa thanks to the Tyler walk off td. Yinzers want him to start being a Pittsburgh guy like Walker for the pirates and Malone for the penguins but the team doesn’t want to force him

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
And the oc called plays to protect him he finished ahead of mason with 6.2 ypa thanks to the Tyler walk off td. Yinzers want him to start being a Pittsburgh guy like Walker for the pirates and Malone for the penguins but the team doesn’t want to force him

If he truly wanted to protect him, put him under center and run the ball.

He got absolutely blasted on the winning TD pass.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I only listened to the game, but the impression I got from what I heard and what I've read is that Pickett looked very good and looks NFL ready. He's definitely not someone you want to throw out there to start, but he definitely looks NFL capable, which is pretty much all you need out of your backup. I don't see any reason to keep Rudolph, just run with Trubisky and Pickett.

Surround Pickett with talent at the skill positions and I think he can really shine in the NFL going forward. He's probably not going to be someone who can go out and individually win you games, he's a guy who looks like he can consistently get the ball to your skill guys to let them win the games.

I also don't care what the stadium name is, I'm still going to call it Heinz Field. I'm not going to call it Accutane Field or whatever the hell it is now :laugh:

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
On reflection I'd say the Seahawks defence probably wasn't all that. I mean, either that's true, or we're a lot deeper on offence than we thought, or Canada is actually a genius now he's got his guys. I know what makes most sense to me out of those options.

So I'd pump the brakes a little on, well, all of those guys.

The best thing about Pickett to me was he had two sacks to end drives and just didn't seem fazed by it at all, came right back and took his opportunity to win the game.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
On reflection I'd say the Seahawks defence probably wasn't all that. I mean, either that's true, or we're a lot deeper on offence than we thought, or Canada is actually a genius now he's got his guys. I know what makes most sense to me out of those options.

So I'd pump the brakes a little on, well, all of those guys.

The best thing about Pickett to me was he had two sacks to end drives and just didn't seem fazed by it at all, came right back and took his opportunity to win the game.

I was listening to the Seahawks broadcast (since I live in Seattle) and they were pointing out how many missed tackles and bad defensive plays the Seahawks were having, so you're totally right. But the big thing that makes me excited with Pickett is that he looked really good today without any sort of talent around him. Imagine what he could look like with Harris, Claypool, Pickens, Freiermuth, Johnson and such.

Like I said above, Pickett may not be a Mahomes type of QB that will carry his team, but I absolutely can see him being a field general that just oozes moxie.

Reactions: Colonel Mustard

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It was 1 preseason game, so I'm not going to get too high on it, but the guys who we needed to ball out did so. Pickens is actually incredible. Big target and he has unbelievable awareness of where his feet are. To me, Pickens success is tied to how Tomlin and Flores can assist him in maturing. His potential is off the charts.

The QB situation, if it plays out like this, couldn't be better for us. All 3 guys looked competent...Pickett looked better than Rudolph, IMO. Let Trubisky start this season, hopefully he has a great year, and we can flip him in the offseason for some assets. Very encouraged by Kenny. That report of him being behind the curve is either complete and utter bullshit or he did a great job of hiding the fact he had no idea what he was doing.

Harris and Warren are going to be an outstanding RB duo. People thought Connor Heyward was nepotism, but he can really catch the football. I love his versatility, and he will undoubtedly be a good special teamer. Colbert's last rookie class appears to be outstanding. He may have left Khan the greatest gift he possibly could have.

I also think a story to follow is how this team evolves without Ben. A lot of what I'm reading seems like the team is more cohesive right now than it ever has been. That's a good sign.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
So in that same breath, if Trubisky plays better than his pro bowl year and we get to the playoffs, do you really cut bait and roll with Kenny? They’re about the same age. I know the assets would be decent, but what if KP sucks and we just got rid of a quality QB?

I feel like I’d keep Mitch in that scenario, I dunno.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
So in that same breath, if Trubisky plays better than his pro bowl year and we get to the playoffs, do you really cut bait and roll with Kenny? They’re about the same age. I know the assets would be decent, but what if KP sucks and we just got rid of a quality QB?

Yeah, that is kind of why I have always been of the opinion you go after a throw away vet and suck until the young QB is ready. It makes it easier. But if the team can get a return for Trubisky, we already used to the asset for Pickett. If he sucks, he sucks. You figure it out. But I don't see a scenario where Trubisky is on this team, and Pickett is starting without Trubisky totally sucking or being injured.

I'm am of the opinion that you have to go into this with the concrete belief that Trubisky will not be your long term QB, and regardless of outcome, Pickett is going to start next year. This is also why I didn't want to draft a QB, because I thought a guy like Trubisky would be a really good fit here.

Last edited:

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

Yeah he n a perfect world Mitch is Alex smith and we flip him for picks like kc did when Maholmes was ready

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I only listened to the game, but the impression I got from what I heard and what I've read is that Pickett looked very good and looks NFL ready. He's definitely not someone you want to throw out there to start, but he definitely looks NFL capable, which is pretty much all you need out of your backup. I don't see any reason to keep Rudolph, just run with Trubisky and Pickett.

Surround Pickett with talent at the skill positions and I think he can really shine in the NFL going forward. He's probably not going to be someone who can go out and individually win you games, he's a guy who looks like he can consistently get the ball to your skill guys to let them win the games.

I also don't care what the stadium name is, I'm still going to call it Heinz Field. I'm not going to call it Accutane Field or whatever the hell it is now :laugh:

Yeah it was only one preseason game, but Pickett looked really similar to how he did his last year at Pitt. He’s rarely going to make any plays that make you say wow, but he just plays good football and finds a way to get the job done.

I agree on Rudolph. He was solid, but was the same Rudolph we’ve seen for the past couple years. He just struggles a bit when his first read isn’t there.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
MT is who he is at this point - I don’t think you can let him fool you into believing he’s anything more than an avg starting QB.

He’s going to have a decent to good year with this team I feel, but it will be a mirage and I hope Tomlin and the org don’t get sucked in.

Alex Smith lead the league in passer rating and had a hell of a season, yet the Chiefs still traded him away to make room for Mahomes.

Imagine if they got sucked into keeping Smith around.

This org invested a first in KP and they need to go all in on him. Best case scenario is MT balls out and they move him for a second rounder in the off season - then KP gets in there next year so they can figure out what they have in him.

Reactions: Andy99 and chizzler

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah it was only one preseason game, but Pickett looked really similar to how he did his last year at Pitt. He’s rarely going to make any plays that make you say wow, but he just plays good football and finds a way to get the job done.

I agree on Rudolph. He was solid, but was the same Rudolph we’ve seen for the past couple years. He just struggles a bit when his first read isn’t there.

It is kind of wild when Rudolph's first read isn't there you can feel the anxiety in his game. That's when he starts to drop his arm and get stripped or makes a really stupid decision. It's the problem with those QBs in the Big 12 that always had a first read open in college.

MT is who he is at this point - I don’t think you can let him fool you into believing he’s anything more than an avg starting QB.

He’s going to have a decent to good year with this team I feel, but it will be a mirage and I hope Tomlin and the org don’t get sucked in.

Alex Smith lead the league in passer rating and had a hell of a season, yet the Chiefs still traded him away to make room for Mahomes.

Imagine if they got sucked into keeping Smith around.

This org invested a first in KP and they need to go all in on him. Best case scenario is MT balls out and they move him for a second rounder in the off season - then KP gets in there next year so they can figure out what they have in him.
I have been a huge proponent of Trubisky even before we drafted Pickett. I think he had a really raw deal in Chicago and he did the right thing by sitting behind Josh Allen last year. He's going to be really good in the RPO offense. Instead of drafting PIckett, I would have gone all in on Trubisky, but now we have gone all in on PIckett, ideal scenario is exactly what you outlined. Pickett is the guy.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It is kind of wild when Rudolph's first read isn't there you can feel the anxiety in his game. That's when he starts to drop his arm and get stripped or makes a really stupid decision. It's the problem with those QBs in the Big 12 that always had a first read open in college.

I have been a huge proponent of Trubisky even before we drafted Pickett. I think he had a really raw deal in Chicago and he did the right thing by sitting behind Josh Allen last year. He's going to be really good in the RPO offense. Instead of drafting PIckett, I would have gone all in on Trubisky, but now we have gone all in on PIckett, ideal scenario is exactly what you outlined. Pickett is the guy.

I think MT is a decent QB that can win a playoff game for you if things go well, but that’s all he is - just a guy.

Maybe that’s all KP is to, but the difference is MT has shown who he is and KP is still a mystery.

A mystery you invested a first in. The faster they unravel who he is, the better. Then they either have a franchise type guy or discover they need to keep looking.

Keeping MT around longer than this season just prolongs that period unnecessarily.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I was listening to the Seahawks broadcast (since I live in Seattle) and they were pointing out how many missed tackles and bad defensive plays the Seahawks were having, so you're totally right. But the big thing that makes me excited with Pickett is that he looked really good today without any sort of talent around him. Imagine what he could look like with Harris, Claypool, Pickens, Freiermuth, Johnson and such.

Like I said above, Pickett may not be a Mahomes type of QB that will carry his team, but I absolutely can see him being a field general that just oozes moxie.

Yeah, he definitely seems to have that sort of presence. Has to have the talent to back it up, but I can see where you're coming from.

Also speaking of Pickens, I still can't get over that catch. Have fun defending a guy who needs that little space, NFL.

And the thing I really wish I knew how real it was, was the running game.

Also re Trubisky, Pickett, Rudolph et al -

I hope they take it one game at a time and react to what's in front of them, but right now I'd say the contracts indicate a plan and I feel confident it'll go that way unless guys start messing up. Pickett's the future, Trubisky is his insulation and insurance policy, and Rudolph is Trubisky's.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
It's probably not at all realistic, but I do wonder what a Roquan Smith trade would look like. The contract would be expensive but shouldn't be a probably with how the team is currently constructed.

Bush didn't really inspire any confidence yesterday and Spillane is going to be a liability if asked to play starter snaps.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Snell avg 2.7 YPC last season…. 2.7. With 0 TDs.

They could pick up some random first round cuts this summer that could easily replace Snell.

Not sure how this guy is even around, except he talks about himself in the third person, so Tomlin thinks that makes him irreplaceable I guess?

Maybe Snell is Tomlin’s kid? That’s the only thing that could explain why he’s still on the team at this point.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Rudolph may have played himself into the starting QB role.

For the Jets.

Rudolph did pretty well last night, but he got pretty lucky also. He very well could have had a big fumble on the first drive and then a pick later on, but somehow the guy dropped it. His game could have look pretty disastrous if he didn't have some good fortune.

I don't know if it was just me, but I swear I heard light booing when he came in, which would be pretty lame if true.

Reactions: Peat

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Rudolph did pretty well last night, but he got pretty lucky also. He very well could have had a big fumble on the first drive and then a pick later on, but somehow the guy dropped it. His game could have look pretty disastrous if he didn't have some good fortune.

I don't know if it was just me, but I swear I heard light booing when he came in, which would be pretty lame if true.

it wasn’t just you…I think one of the PG writers commented on it in an article last night….

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
it wasn’t just you…I think one of the PG writers commented on it in an article last night….

It was a subtle boo kind of - so I thought maybe I was hearing stuff.

That’s pretty sad. I know MR isn’t some kind of solution, but he’s just trying to keep his dream going really.

Reactions: Andy99

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think MT is a decent QB that can win a playoff game for you if things go well, but that’s all he is - just a guy.

Maybe that’s all KP is to, but the difference is MT has shown who he is and KP is still a mystery.

A mystery you invested a first in. The faster they unravel who he is, the better. Then they either have a franchise type guy or discover they need to keep looking.

Keeping MT around longer than this season just prolongs that period unnecessarily.

I completely agree with your stance on how the situation should be handled. I think KP and MT is a 6 in one half dozen the other, which is why I would have went LInderbaum or McDuffie and signed Trubisky to be the guy until he proven he couldn't.

I think Trubisky is a top 15 QB this year. Hopefully a team will pony up for him. It would help our cause tremendously.

Yeah, he definitely seems to have that sort of presence. Has to have the talent to back it up, but I can see where you're coming from.

Also speaking of Pickens, I still can't get over that catch. Have fun defending a guy who needs that little space, NFL.

And the thing I really wish I knew how real it was, was the running game.

Also re Trubisky, Pickett, Rudolph et al -

I hope they take it one game at a time and react to what's in front of them, but right now I'd say the contracts indicate a plan and I feel confident it'll go that way unless guys start messing up. Pickett's the future, Trubisky is his insulation and insurance policy, and Rudolph is Trubisky's.
That catch was absolutely incredible from a rookie. I haven't been that impressed since AB burst on the scene and start making big plays out of no where. This offense should be good if the line can come together and provide some protection. Our QBs took big hits last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad