OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers need a new ball thrower for the handball game thingy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I know most of the good starters are out, but the Oline and run D look to be problems just like last year

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaftception

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
I know most of the good starters are out, but the Oline and run D look to be problems just like last year
Most of the best teams each year have great lines, and if they don't, it inevitably proves to be their crucial weakness in the post-season (Bengals last year, Chiefs the year before).

The usual mantra for team building is, "winning/losing starts in the trenches."

It's interesting how often during the past two decades the Steelers have seemingly found having subpar to downright bad lines, specifically offensive, acceptable while claiming to have super bowl aspirations each year.

While they've had success before with a subpar line (Ben's shout-out to the o-line up on the super bowl podium for example), 2008 was a lot of years and more importantly rule changes ago. You need a consistent scoring offense to win in the post-season in the modern nfl. The only years they put up truly top team offensive stats were with the great o-lines during Munchak's tenure.

Guess we'll find out one way or the other, I'm not all that confident. A lot of new guys to have fun following this year though.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Good god, why are they bringing Art into the media booth…he’s so dull…everything he says is platitudes and he says it with the most boring, droning voice lol…like listening to paint dry

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Both Qbs have looked solid so far. Pickens is backing up everything that's been said about him in camp. McFarland looks the best he's looked as a Steeler which tracks with some of the camp reports I've seen about him.

Jack is going to be a massive upgrade over Schobert, but I think both Bush and Spillane are going to be rough this year.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Near perfect first half until those last two drives.

Attack, feels like Rudolph isn't feeling the pressure all that well. Plenty of talent on WR. Both RBs doing well.

Defence, feels like Jack and Maulet stood out most.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Our backup D against Seattle second teamers looks like no match…Lock has been gashing us

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Its kind of amazing seeing these qbs roll out or have some speed after so many years of old ben
makes you think they should have moved on sooner.

Our backup D against Seattle second teamers looks like no match…Lock has been gashing us
you'll have that in preseason...seems we are not that deep of a team.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Most of the best teams each year have great lines, and if they don't, it inevitably proves to be their crucial weakness in the post-season (Bengals last year, Chiefs the year before).

The usual mantra for team building is, "winning/losing starts in the trenches."

It's interesting how often during the past two decades the Steelers have seemingly found having subpar to downright bad lines, specifically offensive, acceptable while claiming to have super bowl aspirations each year.

While they've had success before with a subpar line (Ben's shout-out to the o-line up on the super bowl podium for example), 2008 was a lot of years and more importantly rule changes ago. You need a consistent scoring offense to win in the post-season in the modern nfl. The only years they put up truly top team offensive stats were with the great o-lines during Munchak's tenure.

Guess we'll find out one way or the other, I'm not all that confident. A lot of new guys to have fun following this year though.
2008 was pretty similar in terms of rules enforcement. The 08 Steelers just had a top 3 defense of all time to overcome their weak offense

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
His vision and power are just below avg. So while he's fast, he's lacking the two most essential attributes for an NFL RB.

Snell and McFarland just aren't the answer and Tomlin needs to wrap his head around that reality.

And he's not functionally fast. His football IQ is so low that his speed never shows up.

Warren and Pickens have both looked great.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
And he's not functionally fast. His football IQ is so low that his speed never shows up.

Warren and Pickens have both looked great.

Watching him again tonight, he has poor body control as well.

Forgot about how awkward he looks changing directions.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Pretty fun game to watch actually. You have to be encouraged by what you saw from Pickett. A lot of the rookies played well. I was pretty impressed by the running backs as well.

Reactions: TNT87 and Andy99

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't think I've ever enjoyed watching a preseason game more than this.

Ya the energy when KP came onto the field was a lot of fun.

1st round rookie QBs bring hope more than any other player and the crowd was stoked to see what their young guy could do.

Reactions: TNT87

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That was fun to watch. Yeah there were some rough spots and who knows what this means for the future, but it was fun. Great ending.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Not to toot my horn........oops, ok I'm tooting my horn.

Tonight made a lot of things that I stated leading up to the draft look spot on. Congrats Kev

Mitch was fantastic, KP is the real deal. Best case is that Mitch has a great season, leading the Steelers to the playoffs and we get multiple high picks for him next offseason.

A+ offseason by the steelers

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Well some of them will be backups on this team…yet D line gets no push…Norwood looks good…their backups soundly whipping ours,,,

Loudermilk was the only 2nd team DL playing at all I think. The guys getting around in the second half won't play a ton this year even if there are injuries.

Linebacker though, that looks thin.

Reactions: Andy99

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pickens looks great.
The NFL are a bunch of lemmings. So focused on the latest fad that they forgot the most important things that separate a great quarterback from the rest.

Reads.

Accuracy.

Intelligence.

Just as in all sports for a few the game just slows for them. They do what everyone else can but on a level above.

Yes it was only one game. Against many who will be soon asking if you want fries with that.

But it isn't like Pickett didn't do all this on college.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad