OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers need a new ball thrower for the handball game thingy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
As a guy to watch, a guy who helps the team, I agree.

In a super bowl or bust mode, he's just going to be expired by the time the rest of the time is ready most like, and spending the 1st on a more long term asset would have made more sense to me.

But is what it is. I enjoy watching him, I think he's a real talent and difference maker.

Yeah, I think for most backs that is true. The thing with Najee (especially if we can get him a line) is that he's a monster. The thing I find really interesting about him is his flexibility, which is something he has said he works a great deal on. We saw his body get contorted in all kinds of ways and he just springs back up. The best thing they can do is get him a line, and if they can, I think he can rack the miles up. The thing backs like him have to worry about is guys throwing themselves at his knees.

With Najee, I'm just going to enjoy watching him. I think he has the ability to be a cult hero in this town when it's all said and done. I just hope in his prime they can bring in linemen that allow him to run roughshod, because I think it's totally possible.

Reactions: Peat

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The thing I love about what I'm hearing about Pickens is how aggressive he is. That's a different type of wideout if he can strike fear in numerous ways. It may be wrong, but I'm waiting for the wheels to fall off with him and those maturity concerns coming to the surface. I shouldn't...but I am.

I'm curious how this staff will handle the QB battle and how much leash they are going to give each guy. Are they going to give the "winner" of the battle a few games? Is it a ride or die type situation?

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
The thing I love about what I'm hearing about Pickens is how aggressive he is. That's a different type of wideout if he can strike fear in numerous ways. It may be wrong, but I'm waiting for the wheels to fall off with him and those maturity concerns coming to the surface. I shouldn't...but I am.

I'm curious how this staff will handle the QB battle and how much leash they are going to give each guy. Are they going to give the "winner" of the battle a few games? Is it a ride or die type situation?
I hope that basically Trubisky is sacrificial lamb A.

If he balls out, great. If he’s not amazing but things look good in terms of OC/playcalling and OL they may try to get Kenny a look when schedule eases up.

If the line and Canada’s offense prove to be too great a shitshow, then they can use Trubisky and Rudolph to keep KP away from it. Imo the QB “battle” means you can be more flexible with Pickett’s development.

Much better to bring him off the bench if a good situation presents itself rather than having to bench him because he’s in the middle of a bad one.

Reactions: Peat

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

The first six games will be significant for MT.

Four of those six are Cin, Pats, Bills and Bucs.

If he comes out of that first six say 4-2 or even 3-3, he’s likely going to hold the job the rest of the way as the schedule eases up somewhat after that.

If he comes out of that stretch 2-4, not sure how Tomlin justifies keeping him in.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

If he balls out, great. If he’s not amazing but things look good in terms of OC/playcalling and OL they may try to get Kenny a look when schedule eases up.

If the line and Canada’s offense prove to be too great a shitshow, then they can use Trubisky and Rudolph to keep KP away from it. Imo the QB “battle” means you can be more flexible with Pickett’s development.

Much better to bring him off the bench if a good situation presents itself rather than having to bench him because he’s in the middle of a bad one.
Ditto. My hope and belief is Pickett gets the job when he and the job are ready, and the battle is basically Rudolph providing opposition and depth in case Trubisky blows it/competing to win a job elsewhere, and the plan only changes if Trubisky is amazing.

Reactions: Andy99

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Date I visited: Saturday, Aug. 6

QB index

My sense on the quarterback situation after spending time in Pittsburgh is Mitch Trubisky remains the clear favorite to start, especially after his play picked up in recent days. He has performed better in red zone work, and the team seems to respond to him.

"I think Mitch is actually turning a lot of heads in camp," running back Najee Harris told me. "He's doing a good job of going through reads and understanding what stuff is, doing a good job of taking on that role. I'm excited to see what he does myself."

Harris added about Trubisky's running ability: "We haven't even put in some of the QB scheme runs -- because he can run. I'm excited about all of that."

Mason Rudolph has made things interesting, though. He has been solid and accurate. If it's Trubisky's job to lose, and it appears to be, there's only so much Rudolph can do. Kenny Pickett will likely need some time to develop, and there's not much feeling that Pittsburgh will rush him into the starting job.

The key will be figuring out how Pittsburgh utilizes the three players on game day. The Steelers prefer to keep three QBs on the active roster, but which one will be inactive on Sundays? Rudolph is earning the right to be in the lineup, but placing your first-round pick on the game-day inactive list isn't ideal for his development.

play
1:07
Will the QB battle in Pittsburgh impact your fantasy drafts?Daniel Dopp and Mike Clay discuss how they view the Steelers QBs' struggles in camp.
Running back rest

Harris plans to be fully back from his minor foot injury over the next week or so, and it seems like Pittsburgh is taking some license in pacing its prized No. 1 back. There's no alarm about his actual health. He feels fine.

"I always want to practice, always want to play, but I understand what they are doing," Harris said. "They want to see the other guys, see what they can do."

Harris is preparing for another massive workload to build off his 307-carry, 1,200-yard rookie performance. Behind him, veteran Benny Snell is positioned for the No. 2 role, with Anthony McFarland and Jaylen Warren working to make things interesting.

Harris knows his presence helps bring balance to the offense, but he also stresses the Steelers' offensive talent is deep.

"We've got a lot of playmakers -- Pat [Freiermuth], Chase [Claypool], Diontae [Johnson], even the new guys with George [Pickens] and [Calvin] Austin and even Connor [Heyward]," he said. "We've got to find a way where we can establish what we do best, get them the ball in space, change the offense in ways we can be more explosive."

Steelers fantasy tips and camp intel

Some league personnel evaluators consider Pat Freiermuth as the most elite of the Steelers' playmakers. Don't be surprised if he's a top-10 tight end by season's end. A hamstring injury has affected his chemistry with the quarterbacks, but that should come together quickly upon his return.

Why don't the Steelers feel a need to panic by adding a veteran free agent defensive back right now? Six players on the two-deep depth chart have extensive starter experience, and five others have played valuable snaps in the NFL. This is not an inexperienced group -- just one without blue-chip names, save Minkah Fitzpatrick. The Steelers believe they can roll out different combinations to thwart the defense. The goal is to not have an obvious weak link that receivers and quarterbacks can target.

Yes, George Pickens has been a standout in camp. His body control on contested catches has provided highlights almost daily. I'm told coaches have been pleased with his approach to being a professional, too. He hasn't been a problem behind the scenes. Pickens wanted to go to a place with a stable NFL culture, and Pittsburgh is ideal for that.

I'm not sure exactly how many targets Calvin Austin III will get, but he is making his presence known early in camp. Trubisky isn't afraid to throw his way, and he has more than just speed -- he has reliable hands.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Date I visited: Saturday, Aug. 6

QB index

My sense on the quarterback situation after spending time in Pittsburgh is Mitch Trubisky remains the clear favorite to start, especially after his play picked up in recent days. He has performed better in red zone work, and the team seems to respond to him.

"I think Mitch is actually turning a lot of heads in camp," running back Najee Harris told me. "He's doing a good job of going through reads and understanding what stuff is, doing a good job of taking on that role. I'm excited to see what he does myself."

Harris added about Trubisky's running ability: "We haven't even put in some of the QB scheme runs -- because he can run. I'm excited about all of that."

Mason Rudolph has made things interesting, though. He has been solid and accurate. If it's Trubisky's job to lose, and it appears to be, there's only so much Rudolph can do. Kenny Pickett will likely need some time to develop, and there's not much feeling that Pittsburgh will rush him into the starting job.

The key will be figuring out how Pittsburgh utilizes the three players on game day. The Steelers prefer to keep three QBs on the active roster, but which one will be inactive on Sundays? Rudolph is earning the right to be in the lineup, but placing your first-round pick on the game-day inactive list isn't ideal for his development.

play
1:07
Will the QB battle in Pittsburgh impact your fantasy drafts?Daniel Dopp and Mike Clay discuss how they view the Steelers QBs' struggles in camp.
Running back rest

Harris plans to be fully back from his minor foot injury over the next week or so, and it seems like Pittsburgh is taking some license in pacing its prized No. 1 back. There's no alarm about his actual health. He feels fine.

"I always want to practice, always want to play, but I understand what they are doing," Harris said. "They want to see the other guys, see what they can do."

Harris is preparing for another massive workload to build off his 307-carry, 1,200-yard rookie performance. Behind him, veteran Benny Snell is positioned for the No. 2 role, with Anthony McFarland and Jaylen Warren working to make things interesting.

Harris knows his presence helps bring balance to the offense, but he also stresses the Steelers' offensive talent is deep.

"We've got a lot of playmakers -- Pat [Freiermuth], Chase [Claypool], Diontae [Johnson], even the new guys with George [Pickens] and [Calvin] Austin and even Connor [Heyward]," he said. "We've got to find a way where we can establish what we do best, get them the ball in space, change the offense in ways we can be more explosive."

Steelers fantasy tips and camp intel

Some league personnel evaluators consider Pat Freiermuth as the most elite of the Steelers' playmakers. Don't be surprised if he's a top-10 tight end by season's end. A hamstring injury has affected his chemistry with the quarterbacks, but that should come together quickly upon his return.

Why don't the Steelers feel a need to panic by adding a veteran free agent defensive back right now? Six players on the two-deep depth chart have extensive starter experience, and five others have played valuable snaps in the NFL. This is not an inexperienced group -- just one without blue-chip names, save Minkah Fitzpatrick. The Steelers believe they can roll out different combinations to thwart the defense. The goal is to not have an obvious weak link that receivers and quarterbacks can target.

Yes, George Pickens has been a standout in camp. His body control on contested catches has provided highlights almost daily. I'm told coaches have been pleased with his approach to being a professional, too. He hasn't been a problem behind the scenes. Pickens wanted to go to a place with a stable NFL culture, and Pittsburgh is ideal for that.

I'm not sure exactly how many targets Calvin Austin III will get, but he is making his presence known early in camp. Trubisky isn't afraid to throw his way, and he has more than just speed -- he has reliable hands.
Could he return kicks?

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Good Starkey article about Pickett/Flacco:

I’d be extremely happy if his career turned out like Flacco, given his success in the playoffs and a SB ring.

Funny, I kinda forgot about Flacco being picked 18th. I remember Rodgers being picked like 21st.

ANd hat tip for the Kyle Boller flashback lol

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I really don't believe we are going to see Canada here past week 6 if the team goes anything less than 3-3. Canada's leash has to be short. The unfortunate thing that will happen if Canada is not retained is we have been bringing in these linemen for his type of offense, and to be honest, I'm really not a huge fan of the smaller, zone blocking lineman.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I really don't believe we are going to see Canada here past week 6 if the team goes anything less than 3-3. Canada's leash has to be short. The unfortunate thing that will happen if Canada is not retained is we have been bringing in these linemen for his type of offense, and to be honest, I'm really not a huge fan of the smaller, zone blocking lineman.
I really hope you’re right and his leash is short.

Last few years around the league really showing that a top flight offensive coach can elevate you almost to the extent of a top tier QB.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The best possible thing that can happen for us is that both Trubisky and Rudolph are good in preseason and we can use the #2 as a trade chip and maybe bring in a vet that gets cut to back up the winner. We need to start making some moves to get some picks. I hope Khan is a bit more prudish and "new school" than Colbert was who was fine not playing an asset management game. Baltimore and New England have always been two teams that I enjoyed watching from a management point of view. Hopefully Khan brings some of that.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The best possible thing that can happen for us is that both Trubisky and Rudolph are good in preseason and we can use the #2 as a trade chip and maybe bring in a vet that gets cut to back up the winner. We need to start making some moves to get some picks. I hope Khan is a bit more prudish and "new school" than Colbert was who was fine not playing an asset management game. Baltimore and New England have always been two teams that I enjoyed watching from a management point of view. Hopefully Khan brings some of that.

i want to see Pickett backing up the winner…he needs to get more reps than a third string would ever get and you didn’t spend a first on him so he would never start for the Steelers, even next season…

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

You're funny if you think Tomlin is going to can an Assistant during the season. He's loyal to a fault

TotesTorts

Mar 5, 2016
Claypool in the slot will be a matchup nightmare. Pair with Muth inside in a 4-5 man spread... good luck.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Claypool in the slot will be a matchup nightmare. Pair with Muth inside in a 4-5 man spread... good luck.

I'm no Claypool fan, but I was even less of a JJSS fan at his price tag.
JJSS was a glorified TE his past 2 seasons here. He was no longer the long strider guy who could stretch the seam and play WR2 effectively.

Claypool (assuming he knocks off all the BS) can be a deadly weapon as the slot Wr3. Issue remains: can any QB on the roster get him or the other WR's the ball?

TotesTorts

Mar 5, 2016
This will be far and away the best surrounding cast Trubisky has ever had. I predict he'll have a better statistical season than he did in 2018.

Reactions: bigdaddyk88

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Colbert said in 2020 it would take 3 years to transition the offense to Canada offense they aren’t dumping him

I'm no Claypool fan, but I was even less of a JJSS fan at his price tag.
JJSS was a glorified TE his past 2 seasons here. He was no longer the long strider guy who could stretch the seam and play WR2 effectively.

Claypool (assuming he knocks off all the BS) can be a deadly weapon as the slot Wr3. Issue remains: can any QB on the roster get him or the other WR's the ball?
Jss will get 1000 yards in KC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad