OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Doritos Bowl Match Up - Taylor Swift vs San Andreas Fault

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Teams led by Brock Purdy, 20-some drafted Jordan Love, Baker Mayfield and Jared "my old team paid 1sts to get rid of me" Goff are still playing.
I think you can build a great team around an unheralded QB if you have a great system, a solid line and a great defense.
Who Tomlin hires at OC and DC is crucially important this offseason. If he hires more C players to make himself look better by comparison, that is unacceptable.

When you look at the cap situation for the Steelers they are well-positioned for another big offseason. I've already outlined my thoughts there but restructuring Heyward and cutting dead weight like Peterson, Robinson, Okorafor, Cole and Trubisky gives them a ton of room in of itself. I'd also give them a good chance at getting competent play from one of Pickett/Rudolph next year with a new OC. Rudolph will stay to compete unless the new OC insists on a super mobile alternative to Kenny.
They will also have the cap room to land Cousins or Murray if they really wanna go that route.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
You base problem is... I don't think they have a playbook and plan to counter 1 high or 2 high or various defenses that get thrown at them.

They just don't have the coaching acumen from Tomlin to whatever that horrible OC is now... The OL has not progressed, etc. etc... The entire offense is just not well coached.

What is hilarious ... Najee Harris is basically saying, "f***, Alabama had their shit together, Pittsburgh is an NFL team and has half the coaching talent." And if you don't believe me then what the Offensive Film Study of San Fran vs. Steelers. and San Fran vs other teams."
They do cincy plays cover 2, and muth feasts against them historically. What happened is they used the gameplan as if ir was asnow storl insof adjusting early on when the field conditions were decent. Cole can’t handle big NT and that hurts the running game. What kiled the off Was the 2 turnovers

I’m not gonna turn my nose up at Kirk Cousins. I think he has plenty of good ball left.
I am especially at 40 million guaranteed a year

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
They do cincy plays cover 2, and muth feasts against them historically. What happened is they used the gameplan as if ir was asnow storl insof adjusting early on when the field conditions were decent. Cole can’t handle big NT and that hurts the running game. What kiled the off Was the 2 turnovers

The Tomlin fanboys are great.

"Look what he does without a good QB."

"Well, what if we got a good QB?"

"We can't spend money on a good QB. That's crazy."

Rinse. Repeat.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
It's not even that they had the wrong prep game in and game out. It was that they ran the same plan game in and game out. Allowing teams to do just what Harris complained about. To stack the box on first down daring the team to throw deep. Then dropping back for second and third and long.

No team, even with a great running game and line, can succeed if the other team runs the perfect defense to stop it. The Steelers told everyone their game plan game after game so Harris ran into a buzzsaw. And the Steelers don't have a great line so it is even worse.

I don't care that their quarterbacks may be flawed. You mix it up to keep the other team honest. The Steelers never did that often enough. Players who left spoke about how vanilla their so-called playbook is.

I said in another post that their gameplan was to play in a blizzard and they did choose appropriate playcalls for such conditions. The issue is they didn't ADJUST (yes I realize that's a foreign word for Tomlin) to be playing in relatively clean conditions.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
That question is why I’m happy I’m just a dumbass on a message board and not the guy who has to try to figure out the QB situation.

I’m just very adamantly against the whole bridge QB idea. You’re pretty much guaranteeing a low ceiling, high floor type of season.

Honestly if the price is right, and they don’t want to go after Cousins, I’d rather just say f*** it and go after Fields. It’d probably be a disaster but its a disaster that could result in a high pick.

I'm very much against trading for a QB if we have to give significant assets. And I think a trade for Fields/Murray (both of which I think aren't appreciably better than KP/MR) will cost a pretty penny to acquire.

As someone else mentioned, you can build a SB contender with a system QB: Goff, Stafford, etc. Hell I think you could win with Jake Browning if you surround him with a good enough team.

At this juncture the Steelers should be focusing their attention to the lines on both sides of the ball.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

He gets +4000 passing yards and +25 TDs in his sleep. We haven’t had a QB who could do that since Ben pre-elbow injury

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... -lurie-on-

Interesting article. This is my favorite part:

Yes, Sirianni led the Eagles to the playoffs in each of his three years on the job. Last year, the Eagles went to the Super Bowl. On the surface, it seems odd that Sirianni would be in trouble.

The magnitude of the late-season collapse, however, is undeniable. After a 10-1 start, the Eagles ran into a 42-19 buzzsaw at home against the 49ers and never recovered. Nothing Sirianni tried to right the ship worked, and the Eagles made a sluggish and disappointing exit from the postseason, losing 32-9 to the Buccaneers.

There’s precedent for a major change. Nine years ago, then-Broncos G.M. John Elway fired coach John Fox one year after Denver made it to the Super Bowl, and despite four playoff appearances in Fox’s four years on the job. Elway was disappointed that the team didn’t exit the playoffs “kicking and screaming” after an upset loss to the Colts in the divisional round, at home.

The next year, with new coach Gary Kubiak, the Broncos won the Super Bowl.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I'm very much against trading for a QB if we have to give significant assets. And I think a trade for Fields/Murray (both of which I think aren't appreciably better than KP/MR) will cost a pretty penny to acquire.

As someone else mentioned, you can build a SB contender with a system QB: Goff, Stafford, etc. Hell I think you could win with Jake Browning if you surround him with a good enough team.

At this juncture the Steelers should be focusing their attention to the lines on both sides of the ball.

Stafford is very much not a system QB. If he is a system QB then so was Ben. Which means every QB is a system QB?

And when was the last time a team won with a "system" QB? Foles? But the team did not build around Foles, they built around Wentz and then Wentz got hurt and Foles went on a heater. Basically like Doug Williams in 1987.

Flacco? I wouldn't consider him a system QB. He was really good for a number of years prior to winning the SB.

Brad Johnson is the last guy that a team was built around a mediocre QB and won. And that was before the NFL changed the rules to open up the offense.

This whole narrative that teams can win SBs with "system" QBs is just not true. And definitely is not true in the current NFL.

Reactions: T1K

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... -lurie-on-

Interesting article. This is my favorite part:

Yes, Sirianni led the Eagles to the playoffs in each of his three years on the job. Last year, the Eagles went to the Super Bowl. On the surface, it seems odd that Sirianni would be in trouble.

The magnitude of the late-season collapse, however, is undeniable. After a 10-1 start, the Eagles ran into a 42-19 buzzsaw at home against the 49ers and never recovered. Nothing Sirianni tried to right the ship worked, and the Eagles made a sluggish and disappointing exit from the postseason, losing 32-9 to the Buccaneers.

There’s precedent for a major change. Nine years ago, then-Broncos G.M. John Elway fired coach John Fox one year after Denver made it to the Super Bowl, and despite four playoff appearances in Fox’s four years on the job. Elway was disappointed that the team didn’t exit the playoffs “kicking and screaming” after an upset loss to the Colts in the divisional round, at home.

The next year, with new coach Gary Kubiak, the Broncos won the Super Bowl.

There is a fine line between stability and having a dysfunctional org.

Holding onto a coach too long like cowardly AR2 does with Tomlin, also is clearly breeding dysfunction and his org is now a punchline.

You catch lightning in a bottle and eventually have to move on.

Ie Kubiak was hired at just the right time and brought home a SB.

Pederson was brought in at the right time for the Eagles.

Tomlin won his SB 14 years ago. He was the right man for the job then, but shit changes and you have to accept reality and move on.

Just because a coach wins a SB, doesn’t mean you hang onto them for life.

Much like with Bylsma.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Stafford is very much not a system QB. If he is a system QB then so was Ben. Which means every QB is a system QB?

And when was the last time a team won with a "system" QB? Foles? But the team did not build around Foles, they built around Wentz and then Wentz got hurt and Foles went on a heater. Basically like Doug Williams in 1987.

Flacco? I wouldn't consider him a system QB. He was really good for a number of years prior to winning the SB.

Brad Johnson is the last guy that a team was built around a mediocre QB and won. And that was before the NFL changed the rules to open up the offense.

This whole narrative that teams can win SBs with "system" QBs is just not true. And definitely is not true in the current NFL.

Also, all of the ones you mentioned happened to be on teams with legit, no nonsense nasty defenses.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
The Tomlin fanboys are great.

"Look what he does without a good QB."

"Well, what if we got a good QB?"

"We can't spend money on a good QB. That's crazy."

Rinse. Repeat.
Kirk is a short term fix and we have to many needs to give him 35 million a year he has 1 playoff win in his career.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I said in another post that their gameplan was to play in a blizzard and they did choose appropriate playcalls for such conditions. The issue is they didn't ADJUST (yes I realize that's a foreign word for Tomlin) to be playing in relatively clean conditions.
Did the Steelers think that they were playing in a bizzard all year? That was the same game plan in September too. And every month between game one and the playoff game.

Reactions: Peat

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
There is a fine line between stability and having a dysfunctional org.

Holding onto a coach too long like cowardly AR2 does with Tomlin, also is clearly breeding dysfunction and his org is now a punchline.

You catch lightning in a bottle and eventually have to move on.

Ie Kubiak was hired at just the right time and brought home a SB.

Pederson was brought in at the right time for the Eagles.

Tomlin won his SB 14 years ago. He was the right man for the job then, but shit changes and you have to accept reality and move on.

Just because a coach wins a SB, doesn’t mean you hang onto them for life.

Much like with Bylsma.
To me, the whole thing with the “will he won’t he” return for 2024 for Tomlin just seemed like an attempt to get AR2 to move on his contract extension and get a raise…we’ll see if AR2 extends him…seems like there was some doubt on Tomlin’s side, or at least with a raise lol…years of futility already under Tomlin apparently isn’t enough lol…

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Did the Steelers think that they were playing in a bizzard all year? That was the same game plan in September too. And every month between game one and the playoff game.
Since mason was inserted the offense has been power running play action deep passes. They neew to revamp the o line but they want to be like Detroit. They did use some rpo and motion not enough for more liking

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
To me, the whole thing with the “will he won’t he” return for 2024 for Tomlin just seemed like an attempt to get AR2 to move on his contract extension and get a raise…we’ll see if AR2 extends him…seems like there was some doubt on Tomlin’s side, or at least with a raise lol…years of futility already under Tomlin apparently isn’t enough lol…
Florio reported that the Steelers and Art wanted tomlin back and he was discussing the roster for 24 and 25. Art will extend him this was him leveraging for more money for his assistants

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Ok, I'll bite, upon what do you base THIS assumption?
Gregg cosell film reviews. He still thinks KP is the better pure ball distributor but Mason is a better processor and deep ball guy. He said they should give mason half field reads like Detroit does with goff. He has already gotten his definitive pecking order in gp dj and muth but thinks Muth should be used more like laporta should be flexed out more.
He said they have done a good job with 3 by 1 sets dictating coverage for GP. They finaly are linning up GP and DJ in the slot.next step is cheat motion
I wonder if KP needs to be in a timing offense like tua or a simple wc 2 read offense like dak

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Kirk is a short term fix and we have to many needs to give him 35 million a year he has 1 playoff win in his career.
I'll take a short term fix over not having a fix at all. You acknowledge that Pickett isn't it, and please spare me the idea of winning anything significant with Rudolph - until they fix the QB position, it will give your buddy Mike T all the excuse he needs to run a stone age offense and try to win every game 17-14.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Gregg cosell film reviews. He still thinks KP is the better pure ball distributor but Mason is a better processor and deep ball guy. He said they should give mason half field reads like Detroit does with goff. He has already gotten his definitive pecking order in gp dj and muth but thinks Muth should be used more like laporta should be flexed out more.
He said they have done a good job with 3 by 1 sets dictating coverage for GP. They finaly are linning up GP and DJ in the slot.next step is cheat motion
I wonder if KP needs to be in a timing offense like tua or a simple wc 2 read offense like dak
Tomlin has lived a sheltered protected existence up until late this season. It's going to get real ugly for him next year with both the media and the fans and I think he'll absolutely melt down.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I'll take a short term fix over not having a fix at all. You acknowledge that Pickett isn't it, and please spare me the idea of winning anything significant with Rudolph - until they fix the QB position, it will give your buddy Mike T all the excuse he needs to run a stone age offense and try to win every game 17-14.
It is more likely willson is brought in a near vet minimum than they spend on any fa qb.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
It is more likely willson is brought in a near vet minimum than they spend on any fa qb.
I'm not arguing what is more likely. I'm arguing what would be better. I think it's nearly certain they'll do nothing significant and roll into 2024 with Pickett and one of Rudolph or Brissett or Wilson or Tyrod Taylor and they'll continue to get QB play that will lead to a prehistoric offense that caps them out at 9-8 or 10-7 and the national media will get another chance to gush over how amazing the coaching is to win 10 games with this QB play.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Right now I'm not worried about "winning a SB". This team needs to win a freakin playoff game, Manning witht he Broncos would be the last systems guy (he couldn't throw it past 15 yards) who won the SB but that's besides the point.

They can be competitive and win a playoff round or 2 with a similar approach: really good running game and stifling defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad