OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Doritos Bowl Match Up - Taylor Swift vs San Andreas Fault

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
There's probably not going to be high expectations going into next season whatever they do. I'm right in thinking you don't like the external options, right?
The Steelers are entering Pirates territory for me. Not quite but close. Very small window of anything good for as long as the eye can see. And the Pirates have an excuse of a broken system.

At least the Pens' management I believe will rebuild when the time comes. They may be off by a year or two, but will do what is needed.

I don't believe the same about the Steelers.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I'm not sure they have much of a choice. Who are you going to draft, sign in FA, or trade for that will be appreciably better?

Sometimes staying put is the right move. And considering the limited options to rectify the situation, going with MR and KP isn't the worst thing. They have a ton of other needs before dabbling in QB

That question is why I’m happy I’m just a dumbass on a message board and not the guy who has to try to figure out the QB situation.

I’m just very adamantly against the whole bridge QB idea. You’re pretty much guaranteeing a low ceiling, high floor type of season.

Honestly if the price is right, and they don’t want to go after Cousins, I’d rather just say f*** it and go after Fields. It’d probably be a disaster but its a disaster that could result in a high pick.

There's probably not going to be high expectations going into next season whatever they do. I'm right in thinking you don't like the external options, right?

I’m not loving any of them, no :laugh:

I guess I just don’t think this roster is really that far off from being good so I also hate the idea of punting on a season

Reactions: Peat

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Can dejean play press m2m though
It depends on what your expectations are they aren’t a sb contender but Mason they can win the division building out the roster like Reid did witj Alex smith until they go get a QB

Willson for vet minimum or mason at 6 to 8 million
The Steelers aren’t winning the division lol

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The Steelers are entering Pirates territory for me. Not quite but close. Very small window of anything good for as long as the eye can see. And the Pirates have an excuse of a broken system.

At least the Pens' management I believe will rebuild when the time comes. They may be off by a year or two, but will do what is needed.

Steelers philosophy is literally “we don’t rebuild”.

Which is why we get to witness Tomlin Purgatory until he feels like leaving.

Steelers new motto is “We believe in stability, but not accountability”

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I think Rudolph is gone if there is no competition for QB1. I think he earned a shot to vie for it next camp. If he is told Pickett is QB1 no matter what then he is gone.
I think he's gone regardless. There was supposed to be open competition for the QB order after the Pickett draft and you could tell they made their mind up before they ever stepped foot on the field. I'm not sure he'd trust that again. There's a lot of teams with just terrible QB's right now. Someone will probably roll the dice on a prove it short term deal on the open market that would be more than the Steelers would be willing to pay.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think he's gone regardless. There was supposed to be open competition for the QB order after the Pickett draft and you could tell they made their mind up before they ever stepped foot on the field. I'm not sure he'd trust that again. There's a lot of teams with just terrible QB's right now. Someone will probably roll the dice on a prove it short term deal on the open market that would be more than the Steelers would be willing to pay.
Rudolph knew the score going onto this season.

If he's not an idiot he won't hold grudges and look forward, not back.

The competition is wide open going into next year. And he knows the system. He will be starting from scratch elsewhere. His best opportunity to start and advance is in Pittsburgh.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not sure we are even going to have an opportunity for Kenny to see the bench. They really should shitcan Mitch, and if I were Mason I would not re-sign here to have to compete with Kenny after I just showed I was a better QB than him.

I think Kenny can be like Mason is now. I think the trajectory and the skill of the two players is similar. Also checks out because when they drafted Mason, they said they graded him as a 1st rounder. Very obviously the organization views a 1st round QB prospect in a different light than most.

What, not a franchise QB? :naughty: I don't have a lot of faith for Pickett, but if there's any left - and I do like him more than most here so there's some - he needs to get a lot of reps in with a non-Canada system if he's going to rediscover his ceiling.

As for Rudolph - we all thought Mason would leave last season due to feeling slighted about the QB competition. He ended up back in Pittsburgh. I think he maybe feels different about it compared to a lot of people here. I don't think he's a "screw you" kind of guy and I don't think he was fronting when he talked about wanting to be back in the only place he's played professionally.

My guess is Rudolph will weigh his offers and go with the best. Being behind an injury prone guy that he thinks he's better than and where he knows the coach trusts him and he has chemistry with the players isn't a bad offer. Unless another org out there loves him, I think he'll be back.

I don't prefer this, but to me it's the only reasonable option. Here are your choices:

1) Draft a QB. All the good ones will be gone by pick 20

You can trade up. Might be a possibility if teams only start looking at Daniels around 10. Good idea? I dunno. I doubt the team would seriously consider it anyway.

There's a good chance that's the move whenever they finally make it tho.

I’m not loving any of them, no :laugh:

I guess I just don’t think this roster is really that far off from being good so I also hate the idea of punting on a season

No argument here. It's rough.

I'm kind of thinking about Fields too. I don't know enough about him though.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I don’t really believe there is a true “rebuild” in the NFL. Careers are short, prospects don’t take years to develop and there are no minor leagues. Starters are only worth mid round picks at most positions and the average career is like 3-4 years.

You can have a bad couple of seasons and get some top 5 picks, but there are a ton of factors there unless you just don’t field a team or your QB is absolute trash.

I guess you can try to acquire first/second rounders for your best players and finish at the bottom of the standings for a season.

Reactions: T1K

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I feel gloomy about the Steelers' philosophy, but I do at least believe the NFL is a league where things can change quickly and I think Khan is making smart moves and has a lot more appetite for risk than the other guys in the org.

The competition is wide open going into next year. And he knows the system. He will be starting from scratch elsewhere. His best opportunity to start and advance is in Pittsburgh.

I think people are really overlooking at this point. The familiarity matters.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
The Steelers aren’t winning the division lol
Why Cincinnati might lose both boyd and Higgins there defense is a mess
Cleveland is going back to watson
They own lamar our 3 3rd place games are Colts falcons and jets. The ravens get Houston buffalo and Tampa

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

yeah I can't see him risking losing an NFL job entirely. Even if he never "makes it" he would want as many years of NFL paychecks as he can get, and we're his best shot at keeping that AND at moving forward to a better role I'd think.

Reactions: T1K and Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Good article. And among other points, said a few things that I have been screaming about all year.

The Steelers are predictable. And simply refuse to adjust. It is the game plan. Simple as that. To the point that the other teams just stack the box and the Steelers don't care. They keep doing the same thing over and over.

The definition of insanity.

And the locker room is different than past years. The coaches have lost the locker room to a degree that I have never seen.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Good article. And among other points, said a few things that I have been screaming about all year.

The Steelers are predictable. And simply refuse to adjust. It is the game plan. Simple as that. To the point that the other teams just stack the box and the Steelers don't care. They keep doing the same thing over and over.

And the locker room is different than past years. The coaches have lost the locker room to a degree that I have never seen.

You base problem is... I don't think they have a playbook and plan to counter 1 high or 2 high or various defenses that get thrown at them.

They just don't have the coaching acumen from Tomlin to whatever that horrible OC is now... The OL has not progressed, etc. etc... The entire offense is just not well coached.

What is hilarious ... Najee Harris is basically saying, "f***, Alabama had their shit together, Pittsburgh is an NFL team and has half the coaching talent." And if you don't believe me then what the Offensive Film Study of San Fran vs. Steelers. and San Fran vs other teams."

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
You base problem is... I don't think they have a playbook and plan to counter 1 high or 2 high or various defenses that get thrown at them.

They just don't have the coaching acumen from Tomlin to whatever that horrible OC is now... The OL has not progressed, etc. etc... The entire offense is just not well coached.

What is hilarious ... Najee Harris is basically saying, "f***, Alabama had their shit together, Pittsburgh is an NFL team and has half the coaching talent." And if you don't believe me then what the Offensive Film Study of San Fran vs. Steelers. and San Fran vs other teams."
The saddest part is not that they barely make in game adjustments. The damning part is that they go entire seasons not making adjustments to the point that the players are calling them out.

Reactions: ZorkEnchanter

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

KP certainly acted took notes from his HC and acted petulant the last few weeks. I was big on drafting him, but I also recognize that Mason's performance blew away any game that I ever seen from KP. If the Steelers let Rudolph walk to keep KP happy, next year will be a disaster.

Hope Mike & KP are ready for the Canada treatment from the fans.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

This guy is such a breath of fresh air in the sea of PGH mediocre, ass sucking, shills reporters analysts..wish there was someone like that that can break down hockey game and get some interviews like he got from Harris..he won't stay too long with Klingerski

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
The saddest part is not that they barely make in game adjustments. The damning part is that they go entire seasons not making adjustments to the point that the players are calling them out.
Yup. When your 3rd year running back is like, "Uh Coach... the defense they are playing is the exact counter to what you keep calling..." and the Coach says, "Just be a running back."

That in a nutshell is the exact problem. It's exactly why all the players on offense are frustrated.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I really wish the Steelers had an actually good QB so we didn’t have to worry about this “1st round pick vs better performer” debate :laugh:

The situation with Rudolph is crystal clear to me: whether he stays is totally dependent on whether the Steelers give him the opportunity to battle Pickett for the QB1 spot and pay him fair value for that role. If they offer him only a backup role and backup money, he’s likely going elsewhere. He’ll get a Trubisky type of opportunity and deal (2 years at like $8 million a year) from the Steelers or he won’t sign with the Steelers.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I really wish the Steelers had an actually good QB so we didn’t have to worry about this “1st round pick vs better performer” debate :laugh:

The situation with Rudolph is crystal clear to me: whether he stays is totally dependent on whether the Steelers give him the opportunity to battle Pickett for the QB1 spot and pay him fair value for that role. If they offer him only a backup role and backup money, he’s likely going elsewhere. He’ll get a Trubisky type of opportunity and deal (2 years at like $8 million a year) from the Steelers or he won’t sign with the Steelers.

I hope that KP or Rudolph become something. More than the long list of forgettable names such as David Woodley and Scott Campbell between Bradshaw and Big Ben.

However, I don't see it. Almost no one, other than the Steelers, thought much of KP or Rudolph. Both were seen as hopelessly flawed. Have you seen anything to argue otherwise? Unlike some who took time to develop they were highly regarded in their draft years and seen as physically limited. Those who blossom after a few seasons were seen as having the athleticism but needed to put it together.

At best you have a game manager for a system the Steelers do not seem willing to run.

Job one in any turnaround is finding a legit quarterback and that very likely will retail sucking and a rebuild for a period of time. We just are not going to get lucky and have a franchise quarterback fall into our laps. And they wouldn't draft or properly develop him if he did.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I hadn't seen anything about what Harris said reported elsewhere.

And that's a holy shit quote. That's a genuine "don't know what they're doing" quote.

Incidentally, I am f***ing sick of how often after the game the players are going "well it all started when it turned out we'd prepared for totally different looks to what they showed". How often can a pro coaching staff f*** that f***ing up?

edit: Also the point they've got nobody on the roster to deal with TEs. Too true. I might look up what the stats looked like before the injuries lay the hurt on ILB/S at the same time.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I hope that KP or Rudolph become something. More than the long list of forgettable names such as David Woodley and Scott Campbell between Bradshaw and Big Ben.

However, I don't see it. Almost no one, other than the Steelers, thought much of KP or Rudolph. Both were seen as hopelessly flawed. Have you seen anything to argue otherwise? Unlike some who took time to develop they were highly regarded in their draft years and seen as physically limited. Those who blossom after a few seasons were seen as having the athleticism but needed to put it together.

At best you have a game manager for a system the Steelers do not seem willing to run.

Job one in any turnaround is finding a legit quarterback and that very likely will retail sucking and a rebuild for a period of time. We just are not going to get lucky and have a franchise quarterback fall into our laps. And they wouldn't draft or properly develop him if he did.

I think it is overwhelmingly most likely that neither of them are going to be legitimate NFL starters.

I’d buy good backups but not starters at all.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I hadn't seen anything about what Harris said reported elsewhere.

And that's a holy shit quote. That's a genuine "don't know what they're doing" quote.

Incidentally, I am f***ing sick of how often after the game the players are going "well it all started when it turned out we'd prepared for totally different looks to what they showed". How often can a pro coaching staff f*** that f***ing up?
It's not even that they had the wrong prep game in and game out. It was that they ran the same plan game in and game out. Allowing teams to do just what Harris complained about. To stack the box on first down daring the team to throw deep. Then dropping back for second and third and long.

No team, even with a great running game and line, can succeed if the other team runs the perfect defense to stop it. The Steelers told everyone their game plan game after game so Harris ran into a buzzsaw. And the Steelers don't have a great line so it is even worse.

I don't care that their quarterbacks may be flawed. You mix it up to keep the other team honest. The Steelers never did that often enough. Players who left spoke about how vanilla their so-called playbook is.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It's not even that they had the wrong prep game in and game out. It was that they ran the same plan game in and game out. Allowing teams to do just what Harris complained about. To stack the box on first down daring the team to throw deep. Then dropping back for second and third and long.

No team, even with a great running game and line, can succeed if the other team runs the perfect defense to stop it. The Steelers told everyone their game plan game after game so Harris ran into a buzzsaw. And the Steelers don't have a great line so it is even worse.

I don't care that their quarterbacks may be flawed. You mix it up to keep the other team honest. The Steelers never did that often enough. Players who left spoke about how vanilla their so-called playbook is.

My only disagreement is stacking the box vs the Steelers on 2nd and long is pretty safe too.

They did break the tendencies a little halfway through the season, shortly before Canada's firing, which got things going a little better... but its still horrendously predictable. And if that's coming from Tomlin, well, jesus...

p.s. Re the QB stuff - The problem with Rudolph (historically) and Pickett isn't physical. It's mental. They're not making reads quick enough, they're not settling into rhythms. That could be the player... or that could be awful scheme. Both guys suddenly looked very different without Canada, and it's not like Faulkner/Sullivan are masters of the universe.

I am skeptical that washing the Canada off suddenly reveals guys with the processing power to be true upper half NFL QBs, but it happens and Canada is that bad.

So... I dunno. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if they became more than game managers. They won't be elite guys but they can be guys who can win games with their arm with reasonable support. But I'm not enthused about finding out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad