OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Doritos Bowl Match Up - Taylor Swift vs San Andreas Fault

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
He is one of the hosts of the afternoon show on 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh. The local sports radio talk station.

Thanks. I don't live near Pittsburgh so don't know these personalities.

Tomlin looked like he didn't want to be on the sidelines last night. But he's had that dumb ass bug eyed look on him plenty of times before

Reactions: ndolla

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Atlanta is almost certainly hiring Belichick.

He just "interviewed" for the job. Do you really think that they will choose someone other than him?
Atlanta probably wants Hoodie, but does Hoodie want Atlanta?

I imagine he'll talk to a few other teams, too, before making up his mind.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
Only reason I want Tomlin to stay is so I can bet on them going .500 again. May as well profit off the Rooney’s now since that’s all they care about themselves.

Reactions: ndolla

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Ngl, now we're staring at the possibility, I'm slightly fearful that Rooney was the main driver of stupid offensive decisions and the wrong guy is taking the fall.

But oh well. What you gonna do.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Eh. I'm not going to stop wondering what's going on after a month of media speculation that started with Tomlin's friend just because he's told the players otherwise until he's signed a new contract.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
As I've said, if they keep Mike but really put money into coordinators and staff - I'm good with him staying. My only issue is that I think Tomlin's message is stale and has been so for a long time. When his team needs to do the "necessary work" (i.e. beating 2-win teams) and "rise to the occasion" (i.e. any of their last 5 playoff games) they never do. Take away the 3 years of a generational roster/competent coordinators and then start doing the math.

I was actually coming around to him maybe turning the tide here and was more than prepared to give him kudos if they won this game. What I thought would happen did happen even though I didn't want it to.

Additionally - Mason Rudolph is the QB of the Pittsburgh Steelers. He has done nothing to give up the spot and the team played better under him. Kenny sitting won't hurt him.

They have to find a C and RT. This running game can click if they cut the guys who are under the bar. Najee was really running hard the last couple of months and a really good flow has been found with Najee and Warren.

We need to get Minkah help. I think even more than a corner, getting a stud safety opposite Minkah would do the most good. It would help our average MLB corps, and could protect a young secondary.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This draft process is going to be fun. This is some of the most high-end talent I think we have had in a while. It would have been a great draft to have multiple top 60 picks in because I think there is first round value well into the 2nd round and there are seriously skilled guys everywhere. This tackle class is ridiculous in both skill and size.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
So, when do we start discussing the Mason Rudolph extension? The Steelers are in a tough spot since he’s a UFA. We can all agree there’s a number that we’d happily let him walk for, but I’m not really sure what it is. He’s going to be competing against Browning in terms of bridge QB contracts, I’m not sure which has the better body of work, slight lean towards Browning if I had to pick one.

I’d bring back Mason as long as his ask is reasonable, but if he gets a lot of interest I’d have no problem signing a different QB to a bridge contract if we’re not going the draft route.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
As I've said, if they keep Mike but really put money into coordinators and staff - I'm good with him staying. My only issue is that I think Tomlin's message is stale and has been so for a long time. When his team needs to do the "necessary work" (i.e. beating 2-win teams) and "rise to the occasion" (i.e. any of their last 5 playoff games) they never do. Take away the 3 years of a generational roster/competent coordinators and then start doing the math.

I was actually coming around to him maybe turning the tide here and was more than prepared to give him kudos if they won this game. What I thought would happen did happen even though I didn't want it to.

Additionally - Mason Rudolph is the QB of the Pittsburgh Steelers. He has done nothing to give up the spot and the team played better under him. Kenny sitting won't hurt him.

They have to find a C and RT. This running game can click if they cut the guys who are under the bar. Najee was really running hard the last couple of months and a really good flow has been found with Najee and Warren.

We need to get Minkah help. I think even more than a corner, getting a stud safety opposite Minkah would do the most good. It would help our average MLB corps, and could protect a young secondary.

I love that Dejean pick from the Brugler mock. He’s exactly what this defense needs.

Definitely disagree with the Rudolph comment though. They absolutely cannot go into next season with Rudolph as the expected starter and say they have high expectations for the season.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
If they go into next season with Tomlin as the head coach, some retread OC like Leftwich, and a QB situation that has only Pickett and/or Pickett/Rudolph as starting options, 2024 is going to absolutely be yet another year like every damn one we've had since Ben's elbow blew up. And everyone here knows that's exactly what is going to happen.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Definitely disagree with the Rudolph comment though. They absolutely cannot go into next season with Rudolph as the expected starter and say they have high expectations for the season.

I'm not sure they have much of a choice. Who are you going to draft, sign in FA, or trade for that will be appreciably better?

Sometimes staying put is the right move. And considering the limited options to rectify the situation, going with MR and KP isn't the worst thing. They have a ton of other needs before dabbling in QB

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I love that Dejean pick from the Brugler mock. He’s exactly what this defense needs.

Can dejean play press m2m though
It depends on what your expectations are they aren’t a sb contender but Mason they can win the division building out the roster like Reid did witj Alex smith until they go get a QB

Willson for vet minimum or mason at 6 to 8 million

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I'm not sure they have much of a choice. Who are you going to draft, sign in FA, or trade for that will be appreciably better?

Sometimes staying put is the right move. And considering the limited options to rectify the situation, going with MR and KP isn't the worst thing. They have a ton of other needs before dabbling in QB
They have no need greater than that of a QB. Having a real option at that position would change so much...but it's not going to happen, so whatever. 2024 is going to be Pickett and either Rudolph or someone like Brissett or Minshew or Tyrod Taylor and we'll all be sitting here in November 2024 while the H2P crew lobbies for Pickett to get a 4th year to prove himself because Mom got him new juice boxes and they can draft better personnel in 2025.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I don't think Tomlin having meh staff is just money. At this point, I feel like saying "I'm okay with Tomlin if they get good staff" is like saying "I'm okay with Tomlin if he stops being Tomlin".

I also think Fitzpatrick did just fine with Edmunds and having a guy who can just clean up and let Minkah ballhawk is more important than a stud. That second CB seems far more important.

Finally...

Kenny sitting is the end of him having a franchise QB possibility. I know some will say "the end was months ago" but the team haven't acted that way. This would be acting that way.

And if they don't believe in him, they should see if they could trade him. See if they can find a team that likes him more to pay a maybe starter price for someone they've decided is a back-up. Fairer to to Rudolph if they think he's maybe a starter.

There we go. A nice argument to keep us going through the off-season :laugh:

Reactions: JTG

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

There's probably not going to be high expectations going into next season whatever they do. I'm right in thinking you don't like the external options, right?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't think Tomlin having meh staff is just money. At this point, I feel like saying "I'm okay with Tomlin if they get good staff" is like saying "I'm okay with Tomlin if he stops being Tomlin".

I also think Fitzpatrick did just fine with Edmunds and having a guy who can just clean up and let Minkah ballhawk is more important than a stud. That second CB seems far more important.

Finally...

Kenny sitting is the end of him having a franchise QB possibility. I know some will say "the end was months ago" but the team haven't acted that way. This would be acting that way.

And if they don't believe in him, they should see if they could trade him. See if they can find a team that likes him more to pay a maybe starter price for someone they've decided is a back-up. Fairer to to Rudolph if they think he's maybe a starter.

There we go. A nice argument to keep us going through the off-season :laugh:

I'm not sure we are even going to have an opportunity for Kenny to see the bench. They really should shitcan Mitch, and if I were Mason I would not re-sign here to have to compete with Kenny after I just showed I was a better QB than him.

I think Kenny can be like Mason is now. I think the trajectory and the skill of the two players is similar. Also checks out because when they drafted Mason, they said they graded him as a 1st rounder. Very obviously the organization views a 1st round QB prospect in a different light than most.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
They have no need greater than that of a QB. Having a real option at that position would change so much...but it's not going to happen, so whatever. 2024 is going to be Pickett and either Rudolph or someone like Brissett or Minshew or Tyrod Taylor and we'll all be sitting here in November 2024 while the H2P crew lobbies for Pickett to get a 4th year to prove himself because Mom got him new juice boxes and they can draft better personnel in 2025.

I don't prefer this, but to me it's the only reasonable option. Here are your choices:

1) Draft a QB. All the good ones will be gone by pick 20
2) FA. Considering the amount of money a guy like Cousins (probably the best of the crop) is going to command, is that the best asset allocation for a team that wants to run the ball so much?
3) Trade. See number 2 above. You'll have to give up assets AND probably pay a contract that's gonna make some other roster decisions dicey

You're probably right, they'll bring in a guy on the same tier as MR & KP (Minshew/Brissett) on the cheap and call it a day. It'll get you 8-10 wins and another 1st round playoff blowout.

So why even go that route if it's going to get you the same end result. At least by running with KP/MR you have more tape to decide if either of them can be a) your starting bridge QB or b) a long term backup QB in this league

Unless you bring in a dude like Cousins (and I'm only naming him as an example) you're gonna be in the same spot next year in not knowing what MR and KP bring to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad