OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Doritos Bowl Match Up - Taylor Swift vs San Andreas Fault

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I'll take a short term fix over not having a fix at all. You acknowledge that Pickett isn't it, and please spare me the idea of winning anything significant with Rudolph - until they fix the QB position, it will give your buddy Mike T all the excuse he needs to run a stone age offense and try to win every game 17-14.
Yeah we are KC with Alex Smith right now. I think Mason can be NOD and he took us to the Super Bowl

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Hard no on anyone like Cousins coming in. We're not a Kirk Cousins away from anything substantial, and the cap hit would be atrocious. We have way too many holes to go that route. Which means it's probably the exact route we go.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Right now I'm not worried about "winning a SB". This team needs to win a freakin playoff game, Manning witht he Broncos would be the last systems guy (he couldn't throw it past 15 yards) who won the SB but that's besides the point.

They can be competitive and win a playoff round or 2 with a similar approach: really good running game and stifling defense.
If we aren’t building to win a Super Bowl then nothing is gonna change.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Hard no on anyone like Cousins coming in. We're not a Kirk Cousins away from anything substantial, and the cap hit would be atrocious. We have way too many holes to go that route. Which means it's probably the exact route we go.
He’s the best QB we can reasonably get. I don’t understand your perspective.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
He’s the best QB we can reasonably get. I don’t understand your perspective.

Shelling out a ton of cash for him isn't gonna put us over the top. And then we're right back in the same spot in 2/3 years.

You either ride with MR/KP or get someone younger or cheaper.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Shelling out a ton of cash for him isn't gonna put us over the top. And then we're right back in the same spot in 2/3 years.

You either ride with MR/KP or get someone younger or cheaper.
If we had a QB that threw for +4000 yards and +25 TDs, I’d argue it would get us in the contender conversation if guys like Watt are healthy.

It’s incredible they were able to make the playoffs with these aggregate QB stats:

3421 yds and 13 TDs

Gardner Minshew outperformed that in 13 games.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
If we had a QB that threw for +4000 yards and +25 TDs, I’d argue it would get us in the contender conversation if guys like Watt are healthy.

It’s incredible they were able to make the playoffs with these aggregate QB stats:

3421 yds and 13 TDs

Then get Minshew and use the leftover cap to fix all the other (OL, DL, ILB, CB, S, WR) holes.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

3421 yds and 13 TDs

Except Cousins historically isn't going to be the same guy in the playoffs he is in the regular season. Hell, there's a pretty good chance he won't be the same guy in the regular season coming off a significant ankle injury at 36 and having to learn a brand new system and form chemistry with brand new guys and the rest of it.

And paying out for Cousins is going to hurt the team in a number of areas that takes them significantly backwards.

Reactions: Pens1566

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
That question is why I’m happy I’m just a dumbass on a message board and not the guy who has to try to figure out the QB situation.

I’m just very adamantly against the whole bridge QB idea. You’re pretty much guaranteeing a low ceiling, high floor type of season.

Honestly if the price is right, and they don’t want to go after Cousins, I’d rather just say f*** it and go after Fields. It’d probably be a disaster but its a disaster that could result in a high pick.

I’m not loving any of them, no :laugh:

I guess I just don’t think this roster is really that far off from being good so I also hate the idea of punting on a season
The roster is not particularly good. There are way too many average or bad players starting. They need probably 2 more good drafts in the next 3 years to be a contending team

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Except Cousins historically isn't going to be the same guy in the playoffs he is in the regular season. Hell, there's a pretty good chance he won't be the same guy in the regular season coming off a significant ankle injury at 36 and having to learn a brand new system and form chemistry with brand new guys and the rest of it.

And paying out for Cousins is going to hurt the team in a number of areas that takes them significantly backwards.

I was leaving out the achilles injury for the follow up.

Reactions: Peat

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
The roster is not particularly good. There are way too many average or bad players starting. They need probably 2 more good drafts in the next 3 years to be a contending team
Depends on your definition of contending they can easily get to 35 million in FA to spend plus this up coming draft and be fine.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
KC was 12-4 with Alex Smith. There are a lot of homers here drastically overrating how good the Steelers are.
Ok this team won 10 games whose to say they can’t get to 12. They will revamp the defense in fa and in the draft revamp the o line and d line. Find a cb cb 2 and a safety Rowe and Edmunds are fine as backups. Bring jack back run jack Roberts and Holcomb find Cam replacement

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
KC was 12-4 with Alex Smith. There are a lot of homers here drastically overrating how good the Steelers are.
Who?

I am sure that you can point to one or two but the vast majority have been clear eyed about the team being lacking and having close to zero chance in the playoffs if they made them.

The Steelers had an amazing draft last April. And the Steelers STILL are a mess and far away from being a legit contender. Just about everyone here that I see post either say that explicitly or indirectly.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Who?

I am sure that you can point to one or two but the vast majority have been clear eyed about the team being lacking and having close to zero chance in the playoffs if they made them.

The Steelers had an amazing draft last April. And the Steelers STILL are a mess and far away from being a legit contender. Just about everyone here that I see post either say that explicitly or indirectly.
Seriously. If anything this board is overly negative about the Steelers - the idea that we overrate them is bizarre.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

His stats aren’t as bad as his reputation is. The 2013 game he came in relief for RG3 who had just torn his ACL. 2020 they faced the 49ers, who went to the SB that year. Last year they got upset by the Giants because of the Vikings terrible defense.

In 5 playoff games he’s thrown 1 interception. The torn Achilles is one thing, but how much does it really impact a QB that doesn’t use his legs anyways?

Reactions: MrBrightside

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA

His stats aren’t as bad as his reputation is. The 2013 game he came in relief for RG3 who had just torn his ACL. 2020 they faced the 49ers, who went to the SB that year. Last year they got upset by the Giants because of the Vikings terrible defense.

In 5 playoff games he’s thrown 1 interception. The torn Achilles is one thing, but how much does it really impact a QB that doesn’t use his legs anyways?
I was about to post something similar. Hell, Cousins in the post-season was far better than Ben in the post-season for his career.

There are reasons to not go in the direction of Cousins, but they are more (a) his dome/outdoor splits are fairly pronounced and (b) he will cost a lot than this post-season record thing.

Reactions: T1K

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Kirk Cousins always got too much blame for the Vikings being a shitshow. He's a great qb. That being said, it would be a gamble to sign him at his age coming off an injury.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I am less bothered about how many wins the team can get next season and what happens next time they meet a high end team from outside the AFC North (who they can drag into bum fights fairly easily thanks to familiarity).

So far, my reckoning, here's the record against them in the last 3 seasons...

Bills L 17-31
49ers L 7-30
Eagles L 13-35
Bills L 3-38
Chiefs L 21-42
Chiefs L 10-36
Bills W 23-16

The consistent story is the Steelers don't belong on the same pitch overall. That is the target they have to meet. Right now they aren't close...

... but how much of that is talent and how much of that is coaching?

To pick the obvious example -

If you run Najee Harris into stacked boxes behind an OL that's getting the worst of it, he will look like absolute shit. See the posts after all the games where that happened.

If you run Najee Harris into normal defence behind an OL that's have a decent day, he will rip off big days. Again, it happened!

And we all know the quality of game planning in Steeler parts isn't all that at times.

Makes it pretty tough to be sure just how close the team is.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Honestly, I'd kind of forgot about his post-season record and was kind of making the general point that all sorts of 'good enough' players stop looking good enough when you get there. Is Cousins good enough if you find yourself getting drawn into a shootout with one of the NFL's top teams?

Also with the ankle, I'm more worried about it affecting his throwing mechanics than his ability to scramble.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I am less bothered about how many wins the team can get next season and what happens next time they meet a high end team from outside the AFC North (who they can drag into bum fights fairly easily thanks to familiarity).

So far, my reckoning, here's the record against them in the last 3 seasons...

Bills L 17-31
49ers L 7-30
Eagles L 13-35
Bills L 3-38
Chiefs L 21-42
Chiefs L 10-36
Bills W 23-16

The consistent story is the Steelers don't belong on the same pitch overall. That is the target they have to meet. Right now they aren't close...

... but how much of that is talent and how much of that is coaching?

To pick the obvious example -

If you run Najee Harris into stacked boxes behind an OL that's getting the worst of it, he will look like absolute shit. See the posts after all the games where that happened.

If you run Najee Harris into normal defence behind an OL that's have a decent day, he will rip off big days. Again, it happened!

And we all know the quality of game planning in Steeler parts isn't all that at times.

Makes it pretty tough to be sure just how close the team is.

It isn't close at all and the reasons are our QBs and the coaching talent surrounding the head coach. QB is going to be incredibly expensive to address from an asset standpoint. A better staff is going to cost Rooney $6-$8m/year. It will also cast Tomlin as purely a motivational leader and undermine his reputation as a football tactician. Yet the noise around the staff, Canada in particular, was loud enough to where I think Rooney and Tomlin make the change.

They also need to fix the defensive backfield. They get slaughtered because their DBs suck.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Kirk is a legitimate upgrade at the most important position in football, I wouldn't turn my nose up at that. Not elite but clearly in that QB10ish range year in and year out. We'd probably have to extend him longer term than I'd be comfortable with though.

Stated my preference for Justin Fields a few times.

Russ is the only other clear cut starter available, after that you got guys like Tanne, Minshew, and Brissett, which might be an upgrade over Pickett but I'd rather just keep #8 at that point.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Honestly, I'd kind of forgot about his post-season record and was kind of making the general point that all sorts of 'good enough' players stop looking good enough when you get there. Is Cousins good enough if you find yourself getting drawn into a shootout with one of the NFL's top teams?

Also with the ankle, I'm more worried about it affecting his throwing mechanics than his ability to scramble.
We’re not winning in a shootout against Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, etc. That said, Kirk is definitely the best suited QB for that scenario.

I’m not really sure about the achillies injury affect on throwing mechanics. Would need to look into that a bit more. Might have to subscribe to QB School’s Patreon to get that answer :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad