OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Doritos Bowl Match Up - Taylor Swift vs San Andreas Fault

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Agreed, Tomlin’s time is up, but if all conversations devolve into that then we might as well lock this thread up.

I get that, but it won’t change reality.

Where do you seriously expect things to go with Tomlin and Cousins, a well known playoff choker?

It’s fine if you want to be like our resident exaggerator and pretend all roads don’t lead back to Tomlin, but they do.

This perpetual path of walking into a wall only changes if AR2 fires Tomlin, or steps in and strips him of some power, allowing K/W to hire an OC.

Do you see that happening?

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Back-loading his contract to create a low cap the first year seems like a good way to find yourself unable to do much if a true solution does become available next year, which is one of the last things I want. I'd like this team to preserve as much flexibility around the QB position as possible until it's solved.

All of Peterson, Okorafor, Ogunjobi, Heyward if cut, and the unmentioned Cole need to either be replaced in FA at no small cost or replaced in the first 2, maybe 3, rounds of the draft or you leave giant holes. Can that be done while paying Cousins 30m?

I feel dubious on that. It feels like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Something I'd consider if this was the route would be trading DJ. That should help create the cap space/picks needed to round the team out.

I honestly don’t know enough about NFL contracts to know how to estimate cap hits, but I know the Steelers last few 2 year deals handed out in free agency have had easy outs after 1 year.

I don’t know if it’d be different with a bigger QB contract or Cousins would agree to the structure or whatever, but that’d be what I’d hope to see. It’d still give you some flexibility to maneuver the next offseason.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Peterson is gone he doesn’t tackle enough to play safety and can’t run anymore Rowe took his spot
Chuks Peterson Mitch and Robinson are locks to be gone
The big question is DJ and Cam

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
They don’t have to do that, though. It’s not ideal but they can stick with Moore at LT and Jones at RT for next year. That’s just what I’d want to do.

Okorafor is a backup at this point and barely played in the second half of the year. Regardless of whether they take a LT/RT in the 1st round, cutting him is a no brainer.

If they do that I'm going to need bail money and lots of it. That would be a brutal use of resources.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing for Okorafor to stay. He is 100% gone. He should be 100% gone.

But that Tackle situation can't go on. And in the circumstances, it's possible they do something about that in FA. Even if they don't, then they absolutely have to do something about the other situations in FA.

I honestly don’t know enough about NFL contracts to know how to estimate cap hits, but I know the Steelers last few 2 year deals handed out in free agency have had easy outs after 1 year.

I don’t know if it’d be different with a bigger QB contract or Cousins would agree to the structure or whatever, but that’d be what I’d hope to see. It’d still give you some flexibility to maneuver the next offseason.

Fair point about the Steelers' contract structures but I think in the case of Cousins, you won't be able to do that. His contract was fully guaranteed last time around, I can't imagine he'd ask for anything less this time. Even if he doesn't get it, he's going to want as much guaranteed as possible and he's probably going to have plenty of suitors.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I get that, but it won’t change reality.

Where do you seriously expect things to go with Tomlin and Cousins, a well known playoff choker?

It’s fine if you want to be like our resident exaggerator and pretend all roads don’t lead back to Tomlin, but they do.

This perpetual path of walking into a wall only changes if AR2 fires Tomlin, or steps in and strips him of some power, allowing K/W to hire an OC.

Do you see that happening?
I’ve already shared my thoughts on Cousins and the “playoff choker” narrative. I’m not going to rehash it.

I don’t know why you feel the need to post in this thread when you always come back to this point. It’s not productive and everyone knows how you feel about MT.

Babe Ruth

Looks wise.. I'm a solid 8.5
Feb 2, 2016
Nah, politics and optics, and PR is THE factor when it comes to a multi billion dollar enterprise. And the politics/optics is directly tied to that man's skin color. Especially for the Pittsburgh Steelers and Dan/Art Rooney.

The Rooney's pushed the POC directive and even through this year, the vast majority of the media, both local and national, have defended Tomlin ad nauseam. It's cracked over the last month or so, but up until now, the heat would have been MASSIVE had Rooney pulled the plug.

It is a new age where sensitivity matters more than production. This has infected every single sector of society.

There is no defense for keeping a coach that can't win in the playoffs. Not for this org. Tomlin's standard talk sinks him if you actually believe the standard should be winning in Januray and February.

You can win more games than you lose every year, and he has, but what difference does it make if you are mired in mediocrity and never win games that actually matter?

The asinine notion that Mike Tomlin is the only man who could lead this team to wins, is just that. Asinine.

Edit: And Rooney not willing to make a change because he's "scared" just puts him firmly into the coward camp.

And I think Tomlin storming off last night, summed up his character perfectly. He's always acted like a petulant child when tough questions hit him.
I basically agree with your assessment, but who knows..
I felt the same way about Marvin Lewis' tenure, 16 seasons without a single playoff win. It was/is unheard-of latitude for a modern era head coach. I don't think another coach will ever be extended that courtesy again. I thought Cincinnati didn't ever want to appear unfair to a Black coach. So just kept hoping Lewis could win a postseason game..

Tomlin has been more successful than Lewis, and I don't necessarily think he should be terminated. but.. the question at hand is, is Tomlin being given generous treatment primarily because of his race? We'll never be given a candid answer, so it's left to internet & watercooler conjecture.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Yeah you can to 45 to 50 give cousins each fully guaranteed contract 35 million now you have 15 million at most to sign cb2 safety and 2 dl.
I think DJ and Cam get extensions and they look to trade moore and chuks. The post june cuts of lary o and mitch does cover the draft and the carry over they use for the season

Kirk just got 1 year for 35 million i don’t think he is taking much less than that
Neither DJ or Cam should get extensions. I've had enough of DJ and while Cam has been a terrific Steeler he is slowing down big time.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Neither DJ or Cam should get extensions. I've had enough of DJ and while Cam has been a terrific Steeler he is slowing down big time.

An extension for Cam might include a de facto pay decrease though.

Reactions: TNT87

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If they do that I'm going to need bail money and lots of it. That would be a brutal use of resources.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing for Okorafor to stay. He is 100% gone. He should be 100% gone.

But that Tackle situation can't go on. And in the circumstances, it's possible they do something about that in FA. Even if they don't, then they absolutely have to do something about the other situations in FA.

Fair point about the Steelers' contract structures but I think in the case of Cousins, you won't be able to do that. His contract was fully guaranteed last time around, I can't imagine he'd ask for anything less this time. Even if he doesn't get it, he's going to want as much guaranteed as possible and he's probably going to have plenty of suitors.

I don't think it makes sense to do anything outside of drafting a LT/RT high and entering next year with Jones, Moore and the drafted guy as your tackles. Using free agency to fill that spot is just not an appropriate use of cap space for the Steelers.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Ok then you have trade DJ and draft a wr in round 2 and Cam could get a 2 year extension with pure salary so if he retires or they cut him it doesn’t count against the cap

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
DJ needs to go. He's a non-factor.

To throw a wrench in this because I had this exact same conversation with a friend after we looked at each other and both said at the same time, "Rudolph and DJ work well together!" after they had a couple of good passes back to back.

If Kenny is the guy moving forward, I'd trade DJ. They just do not jive for whatever reason. If Rudolph is the guy, he seems to really mesh well with DJ and DJ fights for Mason.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
To throw a wrench in this because I had this exact same conversation with a friend after we looked at each other and both said at the same time, "Rudolph and DJ work well together!" after they had a couple of good passes back to back.

If Kenny is the guy moving forward, I'd trade DJ. They just do not jive for whatever reason. If Rudolph is the guy, he seems to really mesh well with DJ and DJ fights for Mason.
KP doesn’t jive with Pickens either. WHO does he jive with?! :laugh:

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
If you go into the season with GP option 1 muth option 2 and dj. You are doing what Philly does witj AJ smith and goddert or what Detroit does with Brown Williamson and Laporta.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I think with an extension for Cam you can reduce his cap hit even further in 2024. So it may be extension and then retirement regardless after 2024.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think it makes sense to do anything outside of drafting a LT/RT high and entering next year with Jones, Moore and the drafted guy as your tackles. Using free agency to fill that spot is just not an appropriate use of cap space for the Steelers.

But the offensive line is at least the second biggest priority on the team. It honestly might be the biggest, bigger than QB. Until they fix that line, they will struggle to develop any sort of offensive rhythm, which makes evaluating QB play a misery.

So what's the better use of the cap space?

Also right now I don't want to be in a position where Broderick Jones might be switching sides again. They can't risk Dotsoning him. They should either move Moore and get a true swing tackle back-up or they should be aiming to have four tackles on the roster.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
But the offensive line is at least the second biggest priority on the team. It honestly might be the biggest, bigger than QB. Until they fix that line, they will struggle to develop any sort of offensive rhythm, which makes evaluating QB play a misery.

So what's the better use of the cap space?

Also right now I don't want to be in a position where Broderick Jones might be switching sides again. They can't risk Dotsoning him. They should either move Moore and get a true swing tackle back-up or they should be aiming to have four tackles on the roster.

I think having a strong QB is far more important to this team than having a better LT than Moore. Moore isn’t very good but the OL was performing well in the second half of the year. I don’t think it’s a smart use of money at all to spend more on a backup LT when it should just be a main priority with their 1st.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think my guy in the first round is still Fuaga. Move Jones to LT and have two young bookends that are downright scary. Part of me wants Jones as a RT because he literally breaks the mold of how big and athletic one can be, but that is Fuaga.

GP’s splits with MR were pretty eye opening, but ok man.

With a new offensive scheme. Right on chief.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Johnson is overpaid for what he brings but you can’t just trade him without needing to replace him immediately. Neither he nor Pickens are true WR1s but they’re not really in a position where they can afford to move either.

Their WR group is already pretty thin as-is, especially if they cut Robinson like they should. They should be using like a 2nd to draft a WR regardless, but I still don’t think they’re in a position to trade Johnson right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad