OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You can also say the same thing about Ben and Tomlin's relationship.
I think we can all agree that Ben was a physical freak and was a flat out great football player. But his lack of preparation and workout regimen was lacking. Ben could have gone down as 1 of the greatest QB's of all time if he did those things- I truly believe that.

Cowher certainly didn't baby Ben and he had a SB win and a AFCCG appearance to show for it in his few years with the QB. Remember that Rooney sent a clear shot across Cowher's bow ~1999 where he publically stated that Cowher needs to start delivering success or his job is in jeopardy. Not surprising, soon after that the Steelers start becoming 1 of the most successful teams of the decade.

Along comes Tomlin and his "player's coach" mantra. His lack of accountability with not only Ben, but others who let the lockerroom run amok with their clownish behavior: AB, Bell, Blount, Harrison, etc.

With Tomlin not being held accountable, he in turn prefers to turn a blind eye to shortcomings. It just goes to show you, much like family dysfunction, sports dysfunction is indeed learned.

Tomlin was the absolute wrong coach for a lazy QB like Roth that relied on his natural talent and not hard work.

Won’t fully blame Tomlin as Roth was culpable as well, but great coaches get the best out of their talent, and Tomlin certainly didn’t come close to that with Roth or others.

Bradshaw and Noll are a perfect example of that, and Noll squeezed 4 SBs out of him, even though Bradshaw hated Noll.

Noll wasn’t there to be his buddy or father figure though.

That is why it’s called professional football.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Like I said, not that it matters. Hell, it's not even in Hawaii anymore so it's not even that big of a "bonus" for the players.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

I think Daniel Jeremiah is one of the better draft guys out there so I figured I’d share. It’s a little different than a lot of early rankings I’ve seen so I found it pretty interesting. There are a lot of guys I haven’t really seen talked about and then a lot of guys lower than the consensus so far.

He has Bresee ranked pretty low. That’d be a really interesting option if he were to slip to the second.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV

I think Daniel Jeremiah is one of the better draft guys out there so I figured I’d share. It’s a little different than a lot of early rankings I’ve seen so I found it pretty interesting. There are a lot of guys I haven’t really seen talked about and then a lot of guys lower than the consensus so far.

He has Bresee ranked pretty low. That’d be a really interesting option if he were to slip to the second.

He really really really likes TEs ...

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

Breese missed games in college and wasn’t really ever dominant i can see him falling
I would love another TE with muth concussions.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013

Dudes got Quentin Johnston at #34....I don't think he's there at even 17 but if he fell to us at the top of the 2nd....uh yes please

Reactions: ehill613

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Would say that's a WANT vs a NEED at this point.

Muth/Gentry/Heyward are more than adequate at the moment. Maybe next offseason you look to see if Muth is reliable bc of concussion history and/or see if you can't upgrade Gentry

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Muth/Gentry/Heyward are more than adequate at the moment. Maybe next offseason you look to see if Muth is reliable bc of concussion history and/or see if you can't upgrade Gentry
Haha I read the top post as suggesting -- sarcastically I figured -- that the poster wanted another TE who has concussions like Muth does.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Dane Brugler has talked up this TE class too. Would be happy to see them strike on that.

If Christian Gonzalez is there at 17 that'd be fantastic value.

Johnston at 34 sounds like insane value but I ain't believing in that for one moment. Looks like both of the ILBs will end up there though. Bresee... welp. Could be a fantastic one at 32.

Also this reinforces my view that right now the odds are in favour of the top 3 OTs going before the team is on the board.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

Gentry is a ufa and i don’t know if Heyward is agood enough blocker to be a real te-2

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Gentry is a ufa and i don’t know if Heyward is agood enough blocker to be a real te-2

I think they'll resign Gentry with no problem- he's good enough for now and he knows the offense. If not, you should be able to find a TE2 in FA relatively easily and cheaply.

Since you mentioned Heyward, if the OC had half a brain he'd deploy Heyward as an Hback more often. If Heyward isn't a good blocker, well then don't make him block. He's an underutilized receiving threat on this roster. Watt should be sent packing and Heyward can assume most of his duties.

People have this pigeon-holed idea of what TE's should be. Belicheck had 2 TE's (Gronk and Hernandez) on his roster that were average at best blockers and utilized them correctly to create a dangerous offense. Heyward and Muth can both threaten the seam

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Imo if they significantly invest in the offense they can make some noise and more importantly help Pickett develop properly. If not, a couple injuries could derail the offense.

I would draft 2 OL, one in the first 3 picks. Id also bring in a cheap vet like Lewan on top of that. The line won’t be healthy like 2022 again.

Bring in WR talent. DJ was incredibly unreliable, and Pickens has only one year. Nothing behind them and Pat whatsoever. Some good players in FA that aren’t bad. Pascal would be an interesting as a reliable, blocking “big slot” and maybe wouldn’t be super expensive. Chark is interesting but could be pricey. Maybe add in the draft but hard for year 1 wide outs to make an impact.

The RB by committee late in the year was great and hope they continue that.

I think you have to look at the teams in the final 4 and SB— no holes anywhere on offense. Great lines (pre Bengals injuries), depth of reliable quality pass catchers at WR and TE, and 2-3 quality RBs. On top of stud QBs outside of Purdy.

To me, they need to come away from this draft with a NT, CB, and LT. Everything else can be figured out. The more I sit and think about it, the more I would try to get Tremaine Edmunds regardless of his cost. There is definitely opportunity there to get him to take a bit less to play with his brother, but still pay him big money.

We can't go into the draft with 4 glaring needs - it will be nearly impossible to fill them all. If they cut and restructure, they should be able to free up around 45m, which is still unbelievably tight for next season, but it should loosen up down the line.

As I've said before, I wouldn't be against using 2024 picks to get into 2023 just because we are so cash strapped and we have so many holes to fill. It isn't something I would ever like doing, but this is a weird situation where the team could be really good if these huge holes were filled, and we need to make waves while our offensive rookies are on rookie deals.

I think they'll resign Gentry with no problem- he's good enough for now and he knows the offense. If not, you should be able to find a TE2 in FA relatively easily and cheaply.

Since you mentioned Heyward, if the OC had half a brain he'd deploy Heyward as an Hback more often. If Heyward isn't a good blocker, well then don't make him block. He's an underutilized receiving threat on this roster. Watt should be sent packing and Heyward can assume most of his duties.

People have this pigeon-holed idea of what TE's should be. Belicheck had 2 TE's (Gronk and Hernandez) on his roster that were average at best blockers and utilized them correctly to create a dangerous offense. Heyward and Muth can both threaten the seam

Heyward is a perfect fit for a SF type offense. The guy is a legit receiving threat. PFF graded him really highly.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Dudes got Quentin Johnston at #34....I don't think he's there at even 17 but if he fell to us at the top of the 2nd....uh yes please

I’ve seen him going middle to early second round in a lot of mocks. Not sure he will make it that far either, but I’m 100% sure a big talent will slip to that pick that we didn’t think would be there.

It always happens in every draft - and Steelers can sit back for almost an entire day and field trade calls.

It will be fun speculating for almost a day between round one and two who they can take with every undrafted player available to them.

Don’t think that’s ever happened as long as I’ve been a Steeler fan.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
The #Broncos will end up trading three 1st-round picks, three 2nd-round picks, plus additional assests to acquire Russell Wilson and Sean Payton. And both got massive contracts as well. HAHAHAHAHAAHA

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The Broncos GM needs to be taken out of that place in handcuffs. I actually feel bad as an opposing fan.

The #Broncos will end up trading three 1st-round picks, three 2nd-round picks, plus additional assests to acquire Russell Wilson and Sean Payton. And both got massive contracts as well. HAHAHAHAHAAHA
That GM just broke his 1 year mark with the team. He has done irreparable harm. This will put that franchise behind 5-7 years.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
The Broncos GM needs to be taken out of that place in handcuffs. I actually feel bad as an opposing fan.

That GM just broke his 1 year mark with the team. He has done irreparable harm. This will put that franchise behind 5-7 years.
John Elway runs things

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I don’t really hate the Payton move for Denver. They basically have to try to compete since Wilson is unmoveable. Payton is a Hail Mary hire but probably does more than some late first round pick.

The Wilson move is terrible, but I don’t think anyone saw him falling off as quickly as he did.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Who cares about the Sean Payton contract, means nothing for the salary cap.

And for reference. Here is PFF's Top 100. "Remember: the PFF board is skewed by positional value, meaning that higher-value positions are prioritized over lower-value ones."

2023 NFL Draft Big Board: PFF's top 100 prospects | NFL Draft | PFF

Obviously they see it a little differently when you look at it from a talent and positional value standpoint. And the evaluation on some players is vastly different at this point. Ex: Keion White.

But like @Mr Jiggyfly and others have mentioned. That Pick at 32 is gonna be the most entertaining pick the Steelers have had our whole life. Of course, it probably means they trade it and move up to take another first round pick, lol.

Reactions: Peat

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Who cares about the Sean Payton contract, means nothing for the salary cap.

And for reference. Here is PFF's Top 100. "Remember: the PFF board is skewed by positional value, meaning that higher-value positions are prioritized over lower-value ones."

2023 NFL Draft Big Board: PFF's top 100 prospects | NFL Draft | PFF

Obviously they see it a little differently when you look at it from a talent and positional value standpoint. And the evaluation on some players is vastly different at this point. Ex: Keion White.

But like @Mr Jiggyfly and others have mentioned. That Pick at 32 is gonna be the most entertaining pick the Steelers have had our whole life. Of course, it probably means they trade it and move up to take another first round pick, lol.
What about the draft picks they traded for him? The salary is irrelevant, but those picks are going to kill that team.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Paton has to be one of the dumbest GMs I’ve seen in a long ass time.

He's an outside consultant since last January. I don't think he's involved in day to day operations any longer at this point.

Want some staggering Elway stats?

With Elway as QB and GM Broncos won 20 playoff games in 26 years, went to seven SBs and won three.

Without him they have won only three playoff games in the other 34 years - and two of them came in the same year (77) when they lost in the SB to the Cowboys.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Speaking of Tire Fires if anyone cared to read or see the Rooney end of the year presser.

“I don't really evaluate Mike on anything other than I’m glad he’s our coach,” Rooney said. “Hopefully he’ll be our coach into the future. He gives us a chance to win, year in and year out, and put us in a position where we have a chance to compete for a championship.”

I don't really evaluate.

Sell the team Art.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad