OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Hasn't it been reported that it was Rooney who pushed for Big Ben to get one last season, and that Tomlin and Colbert weren't super keen?

I think… I know Roth has said/whined that he wasn’t wanted back anymore, so that drama rama has to be coming from somewhere.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Thinking about this...it's been long time since the Steelers won a Super Bowl. To put things in perspective, more time has passed between now and Super Bowl 43 than had passed between Super Bowl 30 and Super Bowl 43. Most Steelers fans younger than 23 probably have no living memory of a Super Bowl win.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Thinking about this...it's been long time since the Steelers won a Super Bowl. To put things in perspective, more time has passed between now and Super Bowl 43 than had passed between Super Bowl 30 and Super Bowl 43. Most Steelers fans younger than 23 probably have no living memory of a Super Bowl win.
I mean, it has been a while but you talk about since the Steelers won a SB and then use SB 30 as a marker? They went 14-40 between wins. We aren't 26 years since 43.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That was my typo...I mean 13 and not 23 yrs old.
Gotcha.

It is noteworthy that we're almost as far from 45 as we were at 30 from 14. If that makes sense.

Counting the upcoming SB, it will have been 12 years since the Steelers played in one. That's pretty well approaching how far 30 was from 14 and is the second-longest period of not playing in a SB in the SB era for the team.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

It’s not Steelers related but this absolutely blows for Purdy if he actually does end up needing Tommy John surgery.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

It’s not Steelers related but this absolutely blows for Purdy if he actually does end up needing Tommy John surgery.

That’s messed up for Purdy. Now the 9ers will move ahead with Lance and Purdy could become an asterisk for their franchise if Lance plays well next season.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Ooof. That sucks for Purdy. And is way more than I was expecting given how routine that play seemed.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't know if Purdy or Lance are the answer for the 9ers. I think Purdy is a really good back up. He can not lose you games, but I don't know if he has it in him to will teams to victory. They didn't ask him to do very much, and I think if they ask him to do more (barring he comes back without problems), he will get exposed.\

Lance is supremely talented, but anyone that watched him or read his draft evaluation knew he needed years of seasoning.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Gotcha.

It is noteworthy that we're almost as far from 45 as we were at 30 from 14. If that makes sense.

Counting the upcoming SB, it will have been 12 years since the Steelers played in one. That's pretty well approaching how far 30 was from 14 and is the second-longest period of not playing in a SB in the SB era for the team.

It’s more about the lack of playoff success than SBs for me right now.

Feel like they gotta walk before they can run.

Like uh, win a playoff game.

10 out of 12 years without a playoff win… 3 playoff wins since 2011… current 6 year modern franchise record without a playoff win… the playoff blowouts… now in the lowly top ten of franchises with the longest playoff win droughts..

It’s a pretty sad state for this org and why I keep emphasizing that Tomlin has absolutely failed at his job despite this winning record nonsense.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I don't know if Purdy or Lance are the answer for the 9ers. I think Purdy is a really good back up. He can not lose you games, but I don't know if he has it in him to will teams to victory. They didn't ask him to do very much, and I think if they ask him to do more (barring he comes back without problems), he will get exposed.\

Lance is supremely talented, but anyone that watched him or read his draft evaluation knew he needed years of seasoning.

Tom Brady would actually be a very good play for the 49ers

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Cap 224.8m next season (+16.6m). Khan should be able to clear around 60m in space with the bump.

Florio had a rant in Oct basically claiming that AR2 was a meddling owner like Jerry Jones, but more discreet and Tomlin was basically his lapdog.

He then suggested this is why he keeps Tomlin around, because Tomlin goes along with it… he suggested Tomlin doesn’t have the power to fire Canada, etc etc:

Florio hates the Steelers so I didn’t take it seriously, but AR2’s comments the other day do have me wondering I’ll admit.
AR2 is a lawyer. Take that how you will. Do not trust the government. Do not trust lawyers.

Tom Brady would actually be a very good play for the 49ers
Agreed. He could probably win another Super Bowl there.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Cap 224.8m next season (+16.6m). Khan should be able to clear around 60m in space with the bump.

That should be enough to bring back some key free agents and try to make a splash in free agency if Khan structures the deals like he did last off season. And there should be room to extend Highsmith.

With all the new media deals, the cap should be going up this much or more for the foreseeable future.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Senior Bowl first practice recap from PFF

Tomlin front and center. Plus two of the players the Steelers are interested with in the writeup, aka Wright and Dawand Jones. Both are RTs though, so I would think earliest would be pick 49. The latest PFF Mock by Trevor Sikkema has the Steelers taking Wright at 17 and I think that would be a mistake. If Wright is a RT, that is way to high for a RT. RT is 2-4 round territory.
I'm a fan of Wright. He has taken on some really awesome pass rushers and has held his ground.

I like Wright because the issues he has are coachable, and I think he could be one of those guys that turns pro, gets his body right, and has a really solid career. Worst case scenario for him, I think he's a Pro Bowl caliber G right off the hop.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Zay Flowers is a guy I have liked for years. I thought the Steelers may be able to grab him in the 3rd round. According to PFF he'll be a 1st rounder. He is a lot like AB coming out of Central Michigan without the attitude.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

AR2 is a lawyer. Take that how you will. Do not trust the government. Do not trust lawyers.

Agreed. He could probably win another Super Bowl there.
Hey buddy, I resent that…kind of a broad brush…some of us are very trustworthy…

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Porter and Kyu Blue Kelly's dad's both have connections with Tomlin. There is also an OL who plays for William and Mary that is from Mt. Lebanon. Bank on that being a pick. Colby Sorsdal

Just letting everyone know how the We are Family draft board will shake out.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Porter and Kyu Blue Kelly's dad's both have connections with Tomlin. There is also an OL who plays for William and Mary that is from Mt. Lebanon. Bank on that being a pick. Colby Sorsdal

Just letting everyone know how the We are Family draft board will shake out.

It'd be funny if we went full on nepotism with every single pick.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Either this is the mother of all smokescreens, or there's gonna be plenty of picks in the trenches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad