OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not sure if this has been mentioned:

He was hurt for a lot of last year, but his PFF scores were fantastic in past seasons. He was at a monstrous 87.0 back in 2016, but has hovered in the 70-75 range in his healthy seasons since then. I would actually be fine with not taking an OT in the 1st round this year if you can sign Lewan to be your LT instead, he'd be clearly their best OL.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

He was hurt for a lot of last year, but his PFF scores were fantastic in past seasons. He was at a monstrous 87.0 back in 2016, but has hovered in the 70-75 range in his healthy seasons since then. I would actually be fine with not taking an OT in the 1st round this year if you can sign Lewan to be your LT instead, he'd be clearly their best OL.

2 ACLs in 3 years. Dunno how many OTs overcome that at age 32 but that feels like a situation where you're uncomfortable committing money there.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Porter and Kyu Blue Kelly's dad's both have connections with Tomlin. There is also an OL who plays for William and Mary that is from Mt. Lebanon. Bank on that being a pick. Colby Sorsdal

Just letting everyone know how the We are Family draft board will shake out.

The coach at my high school was part of the catholic sports mafia and became a Steelers GM.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017

Only 1 issue with that.
:lol:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Lewan is legit falling apart. He has another project other than football that he's clearly passionate about. I'm not sure he's an answer at LT.

Over the last 3 seasons (in the snaps he's played) he has been graded out basically the same level we already have.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I'm going to be very mad if the Steelers use their 1st rounder on an edge rusher. I think another edge is like near the bottom of the list of needs with this team.
The entire defense is built on edge rushing and they have nothing behind TJ and Highsmith. TJ has been very focal about getting a 3rd olb so he can rest at times it’s definitely on the table.
I think cb and olb are definitely the 2 biggest needs.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Lewan is legit falling apart. He has another project other than football that he's clearly passionate about. I'm not sure he's an answer at LT.

Over the last 3 seasons (in the snaps he's played) he has been graded out basically the same level we already have.
Add the fact that they brought up 1 year 10 million to play for Pittsburgh tells me he isn’t serious. He like Bud when they are cut will need to accept highly incentivized deals to prove they are healthy

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Add the fact that they brought up 1 year 10 million to play for Pittsburgh tells me he isn’t serious. He like Bud when they are cut will need to accept highly incentivized deals to prove they are healthy

When Bud gets cut, he'd be a nice rotational guy here. It would also keep his snap count down so he can hopefully stay healthy.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The entire defense is built on edge rushing and they have nothing behind TJ and Highsmith. TJ has been very focal about getting a 3rd olb so he can rest at times it’s definitely on the table.
I think cb and olb are definitely the 2 biggest needs.

When you have two double digit sack guys, I wouldn’t call OLB a top need. They definitely need backup help, but that can be found later in the draft or via FA.

If Sutton re-signs, CB will be less of a need, and this is one of the deepest classes in years. They can likely find a legit starter with their own second rounder.

First two picks should really focus on the trenches, hopefully LT and a legit NT that can anchor and hold the middle.

They also need to find replacements for Heyward and Tuitt.

The entire DL needs to be rebuilt over the next couple of years, so they better get hopping this off-season.

I’d love to see them pursue Payne from Was, but he will likely get franchised or hit 19-20m per on the market.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
When you have two double digit sack guys, I wouldn’t call OLB a top need. They definitely need backup help, but that can be found later in the draft or via FA.

If Sutton re-signs, CB will be less of a need, and this is one of the deepest classes in years. They can likely find a legit starter with their own second rounder.

First two picks should really focus on the trenches, hopefully LT and a legit NT that can anchor and hold the middle.

They also need to find replacements for Heyward and Tuitt.

The entire DL needs to be rebuilt over the next couple of years, so they better get hopping this off-season.

I’d love to see them pursue Payne from Was, but he will likely get franchised or hit 19-20m per on the market.
I am not worried about Nt theres tons of FA that fill the role at 6 million aav or less on spotrack. I think they will sign a FA DL and draft another but they will bank on leal and Loudermilk to develop. Depends on what you think of brees in clemenson theres not a sure fire DL guy at 17. Sutton and wallace are ok as 2nd Cbs but they have a bunch of jags behind them. This Fa and draft is going to be defense heavy
They will rebuild depth on defense they lost in 2020. Bud will be olb 3 instead of Highsmith but if Highsmith is going want more than 15 million aav you need to draft his replacement

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I am not worried about Nt theres tons of FA that fill the role at 6 million aav or less on spotrack. I think they will sign a FA DL and draft another but they will bank on leal and Loudermilk to develop. Depends on what you think of brees in clemenson theres not a sure fire DL guy at 17. Sutton and wallace are ok as 2nd Cbs but they have a bunch of jags behind them. This Fa and draft is going to be defense heavy
They will rebuild depth on defense they lost in 2020. Bud will be olb 3 instead of Highsmith but if Highsmith is going want more than 15 million aav you need to draft his replacement

I’m not too worried about them affording Highsmith. It will get done I’m sure.

I’m hoping Leal develops, but they need at least one legit pro bowl type DE who can create havoc in the run game and get to the QB.

They aren’t easy to find and that’s why these guys usually are found in the top two rounds.

They really need two of those guys and an anchor in the middle to have a dominating DL.

If they get say Weatherspoon in the first, I’d be happy with that. Now you have a legit #1 corner.

Outside of him, I’d rather they go DL or OL at 17 and use the great depth at corner in this draft to find a starter at 32 or their own second.

Have to see how the draft falls though to truly know what I’d be happy with.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Either this is the mother of all smokescreens, or there's gonna be plenty of picks in the trenches.

As it should be. They need to come out of this draft with a LT and a 2 way DL (like Heyward) in their first 3 picks.

If they do that, it'll be a really good setup.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
They have to do something in FA with the DL. They can't go into the draft needing 2-3 guys. They need to find the next Kimo, guy on a shitty team that can come in on a reasonable contract and be a consistent player. Maybe Allen from Arizona, Gaines from LAR, Dre'Mont Jones from DEN, Matt Ionnidis from CAR, Taven Bryan from CLE.

I didn't mind Ogunjobi either but I wouldn't sign him to a long term deal.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think right now my hope for the first pick would run like this

1) Hope one of the first three LTs falls to you
2) If they don't, hope a CB you think is top 10 falls to you
3) If they don't, trade down with someone who wants a stab at the offensive weapons still on the board
4) If you can't trade down... take Bresee if that's not an obviously bad idea by then; if he's gone, then you are faced of reaching for OL/DL (or ILB), taking a CB in about the right place, or taking advantage of some receivers and edges falling.

In that last scenario, I think I'd like them to target the fallers, even if they're a bit luxurious as adds. There's no point reaching for OL/DL if the day 2 talent is going to look the same. If we're not getting a good shot at a true shutdown CB with 17OA, then I'm happy to wait. Ditto ILB if we're not getting a true do it all guy, and for all some people here love Simpson/Sanders, I'm not convinced from the draft profiles. Those positions need depth but if they're gonna be rotational pieces, it can wait.

The team is short a scary receiving weapon if you compare it to the contenders and I'm coming round to the idea that OLB3 is going to matter here.

Tbh, the more I look at it, the more I kind of want us to trade down most. So many spots that need good guys. Can't turn down LT or potential CB1 if it comes though. Maybe some more OL and DL rise through the pre-draft process.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
They have to do something in FA with the DL. They can't go into the draft needing 2-3 guys. They need to find the next Kimo, guy on a shitty team that can come in on a reasonable contract and be a consistent player. Maybe Allen from Arizona, Gaines from LAR, Dre'Mont Jones from DEN, Matt Ionnidis from CAR, Taven Bryan from CLE.

I didn't mind Ogunjobi either but I wouldn't sign him to a long term deal.

Andrew Billings from the Raiders makes some sense as a NT in free agency. He was a bargain bin signing last year and had a really solid year.

Right now I’d prefer them to go that direction than use one of their early picks on a guy that may only project to play 40-50% of the defensive snaps.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
And, IMO, a corner with the other.

Yes and no. This team under Tomlin's tenure hasn't developed a CB worth a damn. Their track record with OL and DL is a bit better so I feel more confident with those types of picks.

I would attempt to find a plug and play CB in FA (similar to Wallace) . Sure you might have to overpay, but this team is flush with cash right now.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Yes and no. This team under Tomlin's tenure hasn't developed a CB worth a damn. Their track record with OL and DL is a bit better so I feel more confident with those types of picks.

I would attempt to find a plug and play CB in FA (similar to Wallace) . Sure you might have to overpay, but this team is flush with cash right now.

How much of that is because they just don’t take corners early though? Burns and Golson are the only two corners taken in the first two rounds under Tomlin. Burns was a bust and Golson was just never healthy so it’s hard to blame the team for him.

The further back in the draft you go, the more likely you’re gonna draft a guy that never turns into anything.

Plus they have developed a few guys into useful players. Sutton is solid. Keenan Lewis was a pretty good player. Hilton is solid.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

They have developed a number of Dbs. They have not invested a lot of high draft capital. Hilton got paid sutton is gets paid both developed by tomlin. Burns is still in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad