Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
doesn't mean they are giving away Soto

Just read that they borrowed 50 million to cover payroll last year. Yikes. It still won’t make players cheap to acquire. Teams will just have to be willing to take on the whole contract of the given player

I was going to suggest maybe targeting Machado but holy hell that contract is going to age poorly. Still 10 years left and in like two years the average salary climbs to 39 million a year. I think I’ll pass on that with him coming off a down year and a 2.9war

Soto can become a FA in 2025 I think, so the price might not be as much as it should be
Still I strongly doubt we could get him but it would be awesome

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Jays win 3 gold gloves and their best defensive player doesn't win one.

Lol voting on awards.
It doesn't really surprise me because he split time between two positions, so even though he was likely the best at both, he didn't play a full season at either.

What I find funny is that he probably would have won one under the old format of three OF Gold Gloves rather than distinct positions. But now they have a utility player award, and he still doesn't get it because they don't consider OF spots to be different positions... or something.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
doesn't mean they are giving away Soto

Just read that they borrowed 50 million to cover payroll last year. Yikes. It still won’t make players cheap to acquire. Teams will just have to be willing to take on the whole contract of the given player

I was going to suggest maybe targeting Machado but holy hell that contract is going to age poorly. Still 10 years left and in like two years the average salary climbs to 39 million a year. I think I’ll pass on that with him coming off a down year and a 2.9war
Well, admittedly, I should probably get the idea out of my head as these trades are rare and don't seem to happen with these types of markets, let alone Rogers singing off, so I'd assign like a 1 % probability of this ever happening, and I can only go by a little bit of the info I've read about San Diego's financial situation. But anyways - if they were to move anyone, they would want to move Machado before Soto, but who will take that contract? Tatis Jr. is a pretty good contract over the next couple of years at only 20 million in 24 and the same in 25, and Soto will get double that. Machado is almost unmovable after last season without significant salary retention. So, if they moved anyone, it may be Soto. Soto is going to get 35-40 million a year, given the top 11 players in the league in salary make 35+ million a year, and that doesn't include recent inflation. If they ever move Soto, the Padres would want cost-friendly players that can spread around the WAR a little more for a lower price. I would include Manoah, Kirk, and Horwitz in a deal for Soto. I'd then target Hoskins to help with DH and play Jansen 120-130 games.

Screen Shot 2023-11-06 at 5.16.17 PM.png

1. Springer
2. Hoskins
3. Soto
4. Guerrero Jr.
5. Bichette
6. Jansen
7. Schneider/Biggio
8. Varsho
9. Martinez/Barger (Espinal at 3B for the first 4-8 weeks?)

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
It doesn't really surprise me because he split time between two positions, so even though he was likely the best at both, he didn't play a full season at either.

What I find funny is that he probably would have won one under the old format of three OF Gold Gloves rather than distinct positions. But now they have a utility player award, and he still doesn't get it because they don't consider OF spots to be different positions... or something.
Also, Varsho was clearly the best CF in baseball, but his CF stats don't count because he played more in LF (and as Discoverer mentioned, UTIL requires a player to play in the IF).

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Remember defense wins championships???

No it f***ing doesn’t.

Can’t hit can’t win. Period

The team that won the WS committed 5 errors in the playoffs and ZERO in the WS. It isnt the be all end all, but defense plays a big part of the game and big reason why the Rangers won.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Listening to Blair and Barker and they had Passan and Davidi on. Both along with Blair said they hear the Jays are linked to Soler. Davidi says he heard the Jays have $40-50M to spend.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Listening to Blair and Barker and they had Passan and Davidi on. Both along with Blair said they hear the Jays are linked to Soler. Davidi says he heard the Jays have $40-50M to spend.
10/10 do not want.

He has 1 2 fWAR season in his career, somehow is turning down more than 10M per year, isn't very good in the outfield, is 1 year removed from a string of basically replacement level years, and we don't know how that would translate to Toronto.

Edit: for that money, I think you can re-sign Belt who is an objectively better player.

If you don't like the Belt option, we shouldn't be switching to an inferior player for similar money.

Reactions: Rude Dog

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
10/10 do not want.

He has 1 2 fWAR season in his career, somehow is turning down more than 10M per year, isn't very good in the outfield, is 1 year removed from a string of basically replacement level years, and we don't know how that would translate to Toronto.

Edit: for that money, I think you can re-sign Belt who is an objectively better player.

If you don't like the Belt option, we shouldn't be switching to an inferior player for similar money.

I dont like it either unless he comes really cheap. He has bad defense.

I know this isnt happening but if we have $50M to spend, im just throwing it at Ohtani. Get the best bat in the game who is a lefty and can pull in viewership and money your team has never seen before. Dont need pen or starters with Gausman, Berrios, Bassitt and Kikuchi signed. Manoah, Tiedemann, White and Francis battling as your 5 and 6 guys. Pen of Romano, Swanson, Mayza, Garcia, Green, Cabrera, Pearson, Pop, Jackson and Richards.

If not then it is Soto. I wouldnt mind Vlad for Soto and grabbing Votto at $4-5M on 1 year and have him with Horwtiz.

Barring that then you are spreading the money out; Candelario/Longoria, Teo/Pederson/Pham, and Belt/Votto with maybe 1-2 arms.

I rather go for a star and use internal upgrades than spread it out.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I dont like it either unless he comes really cheap. He has bad defense.

I know this isnt happening but if we have $50M to spend, im just throwing it at Ohtani. Get the best bat in the game who is a lefty and can pull in viewership and money your team has never seen before. Dont need pen or starters with Gausman, Berrios, Bassitt and Kikuchi signed. Manoah, Tiedemann, White and Francis battling as your 5 and 6 guys. Pen of Romano, Swanson, Mayza, Garcia, Green, Cabrera, Pearson, Pop, Jackson and Richards.

If not then it is Soto. I wouldnt mind Vlad for Soto and grabbing Votto at $4-5M on 1 year and have him with Horwtiz.

Barring that then you are spreading the money out; Candelario/Longoria, Teo/Pederson/Pham, and Belt/Votto with maybe 1-2 arms.

I rather go for a star and use internal upgrades than spread it out.
Yeah, there's enough internal depth at the upper levels that they don't need to fill all the gaps with mediocre upgrades. I don't really expect it, but making a big swing for an impact player like Ohtani or Soto would definitely be the best move.

I do kinda hate the Vlad for Soto idea, though. I think it's a move they would deeply regret in the long run.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I say sign gurriel jr and teoscar. Bring the band back together. Teo can DH. Move Varsho to CF where his bat won't be as much of an eyesore.

Let the young kids battle it out for Infield spots. Martinez at 3b and Schneider at 2b hopefully. Perhaps bring in some competition if need be but we need cheap young talent if we are going to take the next step.

Suddenly the Jays have lots of pop in the lineup. Don't care if it's all right handed.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I say sign gurriel jr and teoscar. Bring the band back together. Teo can DH. Move Varsho to CF where his bat won't be as much of an eyesore.

Let the young kids battle it out for Infield spots. Martinez at 3b and Schneider at 2b hopefully. Perhaps bring in some competition if need be but we need cheap young talent if we are going to take the next step.

Suddenly the Jays have lots of pop in the lineup. Don't care if it's all right handed.
Problem is neither of Gurriel or Teoscar was a particularly strong offensive player last year with their 106 and 105 wRC+. (For reference, Kiermaier was at 104 and Biggio was at 103.)

I still like them both as players, but if you're looking to boost the offense, I don't think that's at all the direction to go.

Reactions: Starry Knight

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Problem is neither of Gurriel or Teoscar was a particularly strong offensive player last year with their 106 and 105 wRC+. (For reference, Kiermaier was at 104 and Biggio was at 103.)

I still like them both as players, but if you're looking to boost the offense, I don't think that's at all the direction to go.
I think both would produce better in this environment. Teoscar is a buy low candidate that is still only 31 so I could see him having a bounce back year. They produced 5 War combined last year despite not having their best offensive seasons.

As much as I'd prefer Soto or Ohtani I think we have to set realistic expectations for this off season.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I think both would produce better in this environment. Teoscar is a buy low candidate that is still only 31 so I could see him having a bounce back year. They produced 5 War combined last year despite not having their best offensive seasons.

As much as I'd prefer Soto or Ohtani I think we have to set realistic expectations for this off season.
After the way the Dome suppressed offense to such a crazy extent this year, I don't think we should expect anyone to come here and produce better numbers.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

Last year suggests that we can't just think that guys will produce here versus other stadiums.

I don't know if it is the dimensions, or if the Jays got a messed up humidor, but no one hit a lot of HR at Rogers Centre. (Fun fact: Arizona had a higher park factor but less HR than Toronto, whereas Seattle had a lower park factor, but higher HR factor).

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

To start with the obvious, the Blue Jays are likely to make Chapman a one-year qualifying offer valued at approximately $20.325 million by Monday’s deadline. He’ll then have a week to accept or decline, but in a weak market for position players it’ll likely be an easy decision to decline.

Even if Chapman were to accept, that’d be good value for a four-time Gold Glove winner with a lifetime OPS+ of 117 who’s entering his age-31 season. But he’s far more likely to decline, setting the Blue Jays up for draft-pick compensation in 2024.

As for the Blue Jays’ other free agents, Brandon Belt, Kevin Kiermaier, Whit Merrifield, Jordan Hicks and Hyun Jin Ryu aren’t considered candidates for the QO and the accompanying salary. But after MLB’s quiet period ends Monday, all are free to sign with any team.

Having already declined Merrifield’s 2024 option, the Blue Jays exercised their two-year conditional club option on reliever Chad Green.

It's a strong indication that they believe strongly in Green, who returned from Tommy John surgery to post a 5.25 ERA with 16 strikeouts compared to four walks in 12 innings this past summer.

But the average annual values on the options available to the Blue Jays are rather high, and the Blue Jays likely need three to five position players this winter, as well as pitching depth. Exercising the club options would suggest that Toronto is able to spend relatively freely this winter.

Green has proven year after year that he’s a valuable big league reliever. With a lifetime ERA of 3.23 and strikeout rate of 32.4 per cent, he would have been in demand if he hit free agency.

Starting Monday, those off-season decisions begin in earnest.

Reactions: Puckstuff

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Soto can become a FA in 2025 I think, so the price might not be as much as it should be
Still I strongly doubt we could get him but it would be awesome
For some reason I thought he had a long term deal signed already. His was the only contract I didn’t look up. That does change it a little

Love that he called this out. It really makes zero sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad