Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Notables:
Bellinger: $264M/12 Years
Ohtani: $538M/12 Years (all predictions to the Dodgers)
Yamamoto: $225M/9 years
Snell: $200M/7 years

12 years and $264M for Bellinger? $200M for Snell? $150M for Nola, Montgomery and Chapman each?

If that’s the cost of free agency? Then I’m happy to sit it out.

They had 3 writers making predictions;

Tim Dierkes:
LF Jorge Soler:
$45M/3 years
CF Kevin Kiermaier: $26M/2 years
3B Gio Urshela: $20M/2 Years

Anthony Franco:
CF Kevin Kiermaier:
$26M/2 years
SP Tyler Mahle: $20M/2 Years
3B Gio Urshela: $20M/2 Years

Darragh McDonald:
3B Jeimer Candelario:
$70M/4
CF/LF Jung Hoo Lee: $50/4 years
SP Nick Martinez: $25M/2 years

Jays Free Agent Contract Predictions:
Chapman:
$150M/6 years
Hicks: $40M/4 years
Kiermaier: $26M/2 Years
Belt: $15M/1 Year

Former Jays:
Teoscar
: $80M/4 Years
Gurriel: $50M/4 Years
Hendriks: $12M/2 Year

Not crazy about some of these predictions regarding contract but if I have to take one, I’ll take McDonald as Candelario, Hoo Lee and Martinez are in a higher tier than the other guys.

I also rather roll with internal replacements than waste $25M on Soler and Urshela or $20M on Urshela and Mahle eventhough I like Mahle as a bounce back.

Interesting that all 3 guys predict the Jays invest more into starters with 4 guys locked up plus Manoah, Ricky and Francis around.
A bit more term than I'd like for Candelario but I could live with it. Might also consider Turner on that projected one-year x 16M deal as a stopgap rather than overpaying though.

Lee at 5 x 10M could be good value if his hitting translates, but again I don't like the term. Heyward at 2 x 8M might be a good stopgap until Roden or Barger are ready.

If we shelled out to get Yamamoto I'd be ok moving a guy like Berrios for a bat.

I'd also have some interest in bringing back Kiermaier but I doubt he'd return to be a backup/insurance for Varsho.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
A bit more term than I'd like for Candelario but I could live with it. Might also consider Turner on that projected one-year x 16M deal as a stopgap rather than overpaying though.

Lee at 5 x 10M could be good value if his hitting translates, but again I don't like the term. Heyward at 2 x 8M might be a good stopgap until Roden or Barger are ready.

If we shelled out to get Yamamoto I'd be ok moving a guy like Berrios for a bat.

I'd also have some interest in bringing back Kiermaier but I doubt he'd return to be a backup/insurance for Varsho.
I would 110% offer that to Lee. I would also be completely comfortable with the Yamamoto contract. Both have extremely translateable skillsets and both are 25.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Can’t hit if thats what the Jays are looking for.
Having arguably a top 3 defensive outfielder in baseball who happens to have holes in his swing like Varsho does under cheap team control for multiple years.....compared to paying Chapman 20+ million into his 30s for his free agent years. Totally the exact same thing.

Reactions: kb

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004

giphy.gif

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Well that's a decision. Expand Mattinglys role as in replace Schnieder? Only way to make up for keeping the hitting coach. This front office may double down on the same roster and staff minus some minor tweaks.. thats what I expect so any major changes will be a surprise .

Reactions: hockeywiz542

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Well he did such a great job so makes perfect sense lol
Yeah i dont get it...

Why aren't they talking to Dante Bichette? During his short stint here it was evident some of his coaching worked well.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Well that's a decision. Expand Mattinglys role as in replace Schnieder? Only way to make up for keeping the hitting coach. This front office may double down on the same roster and staff minus some minor tweaks.. thats what I expect so any major changes will be a surprise .

I think that's not happening. How is it going to be the same roster? I don't see KK, Belt, Chappy, Merrifield coming back. That will be 4 new players right there. I expect changes in the lineup. Last season wasn't good enough, simple. I believe there will be major changes around Bo and Vladdy. How do they expect this team to take the next step with only internal improvements? How can you rely on only internal improvements? They have some money to spend, they should spend it.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
If Mattingly sticks around as an offensive coordinator, what's not to to like about that? The only question I have, we had him last season why he didn't have much influence on the hitters?
The team's power was down drastically and several players had bad years. Now, the current managers could figure out the problem(s) and it will be fine. Although, a slow start with the bats and these guys better be on a short leash.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I think that's not happening. How is it going to be the same roster? I don't see KK, Belt, Chappy, Merrifield coming back. That will be 4 new players right there. I expect changes in the lineup. Last season wasn't good enough, simple. I believe there will be major changes around Bo and Vladdy. How do they expect this team to take the next step with only internal improvements? How can you rely on only internal improvements? They have some money to spend, they should spend it.

Chapman isn't gone. He won't accept the qualifying offer but I could see Atkins giving him an offer with player options. Definitely be some turn over but for the actual core of the franchise those guys outside of Chapman were never thought as long term pieces. I hope they use the deep pockets of the owners and continue to increase payroll personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad