Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
It's not coaches, it's accountants. Bean counters with spreadsheets and graphs and charts through and through. The MBAification of baseball. Remember "see the ball, hit the ball, catch the ball"?
Ah yes, with noted MBA Don Mattingly running the show!

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Even if the entire coaching staff was college graduates and learning how to hit a baseball included sitting in a classroom and learning some spreadsheets how does that affect your viewing of the game? It's still not played on spreadsheets. We still don't hear the hitting conversations had around swing path, pitch probability, etc, etc. We also don't hear the conversation around strategy chosen, though we may see it. We still see a 28 year old guy, swinging a twig at a ball coming in there at 98 mph. Oh no, we get less bunting, oh the horror. If you can't enjoy a game because you know the stuff you can't see might include some things, or types of people that frustrate you then that's not on the game of baseball.

Reactions: Discoverer

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Even if the entire coaching staff was college graduates and learning how to hit a baseball included sitting in a classroom and learning some spreadsheets how does that affect your viewing of the game? It's still not played on spreadsheets. We still don't hear the hitting conversations had around swing path, pitch probability, etc, etc. We also don't hear the conversation around strategy chosen, though we may see it. We still see a 28 year old guy, swinging a twig at a ball coming in there at 98 mph. Oh no, we get less bunting, oh the horror. If you can't enjoy a game because you know the stuff you can't see might include some things, or types of people that frustrate you then that's not on the game of baseball.
To be fair, there's absolutely no excuse for Varsho not to bunt more given how good he is at it.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

As a whole the projections from Fangraphs are lower. Especially for Bellinger. MLBTR giving him 12 years and Fangraphs giving him 6 is quite the disparity.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

As a whole the projections from Fangraphs are lower. Especially for Bellinger. MLBTR giving him 12 years and Fangraphs giving him 6 is quite the disparity.
There is way too much parity between Clemens and crowdsourced info to suggest that they are independent.

Also, there's no universe that those AAVs should be correct (Ohtani and Bellinger are too low and Yamamoto looks too high by a bit). Adding on to that, only an idiot would give Montgomery, Snell and Nola the same contract (they aren't exactly equal commodities).

One of the first takeaways that I have is that this is not well written from an analytics POV (and it's on FG)

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Mattingly a Brewers candidate for manager

Hoskins is a good fit for the Jays, would be in the Belt role, short deal

Some industry people suggested Manoah as a trade candidate, , no indication meaningful talks have occurred

Other teams have inquired about Jays pitchers via trade

Possibility of one of LGJ/Teoscar returning can't be ruled out

Reactions: hockeywiz542

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

At those prices I'd be interested in any of Martinez, Lee, Candelario, Hoskins, Turner, Hicks, Brantley, Severino, Anderson.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I don’t think Rogers would go anywhere close to that landmine
He’s an interesting case. Although very much a distraction he is good at what he does and pitched well in Japan. I’m assuming he’s getting a 1 yr deal

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Mentions the Cardinals interest in pitching and the Jays interest in Carlsson. If the Jays moved Manoah for Carlsson they better get a plus from St. Louis side. Tink Hence is a really interesting prospect.

A Manoah for Nootbar trade would make much more sense. Both are 25. Both are not eligible for arbitration until 2025 and free agency until 2028. Nootbar projects as a 2-3 WAR player. I would still want another prospect from St. louis though. Maybe a guy like Victor Scott II.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

Mentions the Cardinals interest in pitching and the Jays interest in Carlsson. If the Jays moved Manoah for Carlsson they better get a plus from St. Louis side. Tink Hence is a really interesting prospect.

A Manoah for Nootbar trade would make much more sense. Both are 25. Both are not eligible for arbitration until 2025 and free agency until 2028. Nootbar projects as a 2-3 WAR player. I would still want another prospect from St. louis though. Maybe a guy like Victor Scott II.
Carlson is bad at baseball, I have zero interest. I'd have serious thoughts about moving Manoah for Nolan Gorman or Nootbar, especially if we get Yamamoto or a good free agent pitcher.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Carlson's an interesting guy who I think would fit really well here. Despite the steps back this year, he still had a 118 wRC+ vs lefties after back-to-back seasons in the 140s. His defense has been solid enough, so you could play him a bit in left field and start him in CF against lefties.

He also just turned 25 and was a top prospect just a couple years ago, so it's not like he's maxed out his potential. Maybe he figures it out a bit, or maybe you try to have him stop switch-hitting, or maybe you just accept what he's been so far in his career and use him in a strict platoon role, but there would be options there regardless. I think he has plenty of upside left.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Carlson's an interesting guy who I think would fit really well here. Despite the steps back this year, he still had a 118 wRC+ vs lefties after back-to-back seasons in the 140s. His defense has been solid enough, so you could play him a bit in left field and start him in CF against lefties.

He also just turned 25 and was a top prospect just a couple years ago, so it's not like he's maxed out his potential. Maybe he figures it out a bit, or maybe you try to have him stop switch-hitting, or maybe you just accept what he's been so far in his career and use him in a strict platoon role, but there would be options there regardless. I think he has plenty of upside left.
I'm not a huge Carlsson fan but getting him and a prospect like Tink would make it worth the risk to me. Straight up though I wouldn't do it. I'd rather have Nootbar.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Carlson is bad at baseball, I have zero interest. I'd have serious thoughts about moving Manoah for Nolan Gorman or Nootbar, especially if we get Yamamoto or a good free agent pitcher.
Manoah has little value to any team except Jays. If he cannot show he can control himself, meaning his head nobody will give up much for him. A demonstration of head in place is imperative. He has an arm. He likely was voted the person I least want to be on a subway platform with.
This was not a Sonny Gray and NYC type of issue, Manoah head is a far bigger issue.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
How good is Yamamoto?

200M for a unproven MLB pitcher is pretty crazy.

Signing him then trading one of our starters for a quality hitter could be a good play though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad