The New York Rangers are a perfectly built team this year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
All this thread has done is bring all the usual suspects out.

I think we look pretty good so far. Lafreniere and Kakko seem improved and upgrading from Strome to Trocheck is a bigger deal than people think it is.

Panarin-Strome-Whoever was barely an NHL line at even strength and played f***ing constantly. The first line wasn't much better. Everyone raved about Copp and Vatrano, but when they were the RW's on those lines, those lines low-key had xGF%'s in the 30's.

Trocheck is more of a traditional center as opposed to Strome who is a winger taking faceoffs. Moving Kakko and Lafreniere up also seems to have improved these lines, so it's almost like what Rangers fans had been shouting for over a year was true.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
So there can only be 5 elite centers in the NHL at any given time? Okay.
Approximately, yeah.

After a certain amount, the title begins to lose meaning.

McDavid
Matthews
Draisaitl
Mackinnon
Crosby

Those are probably the 5 elite centers in the game

Barkov
Bergeron
Hughes
Point
Eichel
Stamkos
Aho
Barzal
ROR
Zibanejad
Malkin
Kopitar
Petterson
Scheifele
Lindholm
Miller
Thomas
Zegras
Kuznetsov
Stutzle
Larkin
Hintz
Hischier
Tavares
Kadri
Beniers
Suzuki

These probably fill out the rest of the top 32. I could see Zibanejad slot anywhere from 10-20.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Approximately, yeah.

McDavid
Matthews
Draisaitl
Mackinnon
Crosby

Barkov
Bergeron
Hughes
Point
Eichel
Stamkos
Aho
Barzal
ROR
Zibanejad
Malkin
Kopitar
Petterson
Scheifele
Lindholm
Miller
Thomas
Zegras
Kuznetsov
Stutzle
Larkin
Hintz
Hischier
Tavares
Kadri
Beniers
Suzuki

These probably fill out the rest of the top 32. I could see Zibanejad slot anywhere from 10-20.
One good year from Hughes, in which he scored 56 points in 49 games, makes him better than Mika? And what have Barzal and Aho done to be ahead of him? Or Eichel for that matter?

Among centers since 2019-20, Mika is:

6th in total points
5th in PP points
2nd in PP goals
1st in PK points

On top of that, Mika plays in all situations, unlike most of the other players on your list.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Approximately, yeah.

McDavid
Matthews
Draisaitl
Mackinnon
Crosby

Barkov
Bergeron
Hughes
Point
Eichel
Stamkos
Aho
Barzal
ROR
Zibanejad
Malkin
Kopitar
Petterson
Scheifele
Lindholm
Miller
Thomas
Zegras
Kuznetsov
Stutzle
Larkin
Hintz
Hischier
Tavares
Kadri
Beniers
Suzuki

I think he is in the 6-10

I take him over aho, barzel and OR without thinking twice. And to me thats not even close. Especially barzal and Ror.

Barkov and point are the only two on the list below the top 5 that in think i would definitely take over zib.

Eichel, hughes, berg, and stamkos i think u can all make arguments for and against, especially depending on what a team needs.

Hughes for example is more skilled than Zib. However the Rangers need Zibs shot which is superior to Hughes. zib also is a great PKer which we need. However, if i am starting a team from scratch, i would take hughes’ skill. But for the rangers current team, zib makes more sense. Hughes also has durability concerns, though his skill is insane.

If u get what i mean. So to me they are basically equal because they each have areas where they are superior to one another.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
One good year from Hughes, in which he scored 56 points in 49 games, makes him better than Mika? And what have Barzal and Aho done to be ahead of him? Or Eichel for that matter?

Among centers since 2019-20, Mika is:

6th in total points
5th in PP points
2nd in PP goals
1st in PK points
There is more to being an NHL center than PP scoring points on a loaded PP that plays nearly the full 2 minutes.

He's actually 7th in points among centers over the time frame you referenced, but 14th in ES points. All while being a pretty poor 2 way center.
On top of that, Mika plays in all situations, unlike most of the other players on your list.

It's not like he's a very good penalty killer...

1666102489491.png

Like I said, I have him around 15, but could see him anywhere from 10-20. I have Hughes, Aho, and Barzal ahead of him based on their all around play at 5v5 and ability to transport the puck.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
He's actually 7th in points among centers over the time frame you referenced
6th. NHL.com lists Huberdeau as a center. Mika is better defensively and on the PK than those analytics suggest. Of the players you listed ahead of him, there's only 5, maybe 6, who are clearly better defensively.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
There is more to being an NHL center than PP scoring points on a loaded PP that plays nearly the full 2 minutes.

He's actually 7th in points among centers over the time frame you referenced, but 14th in ES points. All while being a pretty poor 2 way center.

View attachment 595472

Like I said, I have him around 15, but could see him anywhere from 10-20. I have Hughes, Aho, and Barzal ahead of him based on their all around play at 5v5 and ability to transport the puck.

Those stats do not show last year. And how reliable is it when the contract information is incorrect even. He doesnt have a 9 year contract.

Not putting much stock in this card u showed. Especially since it doesnt even show last year but rather the 2 covid shortened years. One of which he was horrrible for a majority of the year while recovering from COVID.

Reactions: Salsa Shark

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

View attachment 595472

Lol at Barzal. And he is actually very good defensively and on the PK. You must be thinking of another player.

Last edited:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Perfectly built implies they couldn't be built any better. They'd have to be the best team ever for that to be true.

They have a good top six but definitely lack forward depth. The depth on defence is okay.

I would put the Rangers as a top five team in the east. Far from a perfect team.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
6th. NHL.com lists Huberdeau as a center.
Okay 6th. 9th in points per game, 14th in ES points, 23rd in ES goals.

Mika is better defensively and on the PK than those analytics suggest. Of the players you listed ahead of him, there's only 5, maybe 6, who are clearly better defensively.
Disagree, I don't see Mika as a very effective defensive player. He's a great PP guy though.

Those stats do not show last year. And how reliable is it when the contract information is incorrect even. He doesnt have a 9 year contract.

Not putting much stock in this card u showed. Especially since it doesnt even show last year but rather the 2 covid shortened years. One of which he was horrrible for a majority of the year while recovering from COVID.
Okay lets look at last year:

Among centers, he was:
23rd in ES points
73rd in ES goals
14th in total points
18th in points per game
40th in 5v5 p/60

That's not a top 6-10 center IMO.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
He is 100% elite at this point. Likely hovering around 40 goals and 85ish points. Decent defensively too
Is 85 points considered elite? That's clear #1 centre numbers, but half the teams in the league have a ppg centre.

Zibnanejad was 31st last year in ppg. Seems like a watering down of the term elite.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
They won't have eye catching stats at the end of the year but Lafreniere, Kakko, and even Chytil most definitely are worlds better than they were last year. They don't get PP1 time because the Rangers have one of the best PP1 units in the league so they'll have stats that will make people think they're not that great. But while not exactly Crosby and McDavid these guys are solid top 6 contributors.
It’s been four games. They had hot streaks last season too.

• Haha
Reactions: rangersfansince08

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
For those who haven’t seen Kakko and Lafreniere play since the playoffs, they look even better now.
Last year they barely looked like NHLers. Now the Rangers are relying on both in their top six. If the Rangers had those guys producing like that on the third line, we could talk about them having good depth.

It'd be like the flames bragging about having Dube in their top six, when in fact that's likely a weak point.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
They’ve playing confidant since playoffs, and carried it over into pre-season. There’s a difference between than being hot for a little than young players actually taking the next step in development.

Last year they barely looked like NHLers. Now the Rangers are relying on both in their top six. If the Rangers had those guys producing like that on the third line, we could talk about them having good depth.

It'd be like the flames bragging about having Dube in their top six, when in fact that's likely a weak point.
And you’re a flames fan who probably rarely watches the Rangers I’m sure?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
They’ve playing confidant since playoffs, and carried it over into pre-season. There’s a difference between than being hot for a little than young players actually taking the next step in development.

And you’re a flames fan who probably rarely watches the Rangers I’m sure?
Kakko and Lafreniere are both great young prospects, but also far from reaching their potential. Having two underdeveloped prospects in your top six is not a sign of great depth.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
But are they as good as last year’s Panthers? They’re the reigning On-Paper Champs!

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Okay 6th. 9th in points per game, 14th in ES points, 23rd in ES goals.

Disagree, I don't see Mika as a very effective defensive player. He's a great PP guy though.

Okay lets look at last year:

Among centers, he was:
23rd in ES points
73rd in ES goals
14th in total points
18th in points per game
40th in 5v5 p/60

That's not a top 6-10 center IMO.

You keep bringing up ES stats. We were bad last year at ES as a team lat year. Not just one player. The entire team. Not sure why, but nothing was clicking. On any of the 4 lines. So of course his stats werent great at ES. Nobody’s was on the Rangers. Maybe it was just getting used to Gallant. Maybe it was the defense not transitioning well. Maybe it was bc our RWs were black holes.

But they were great on PP and PK. and Zib was amazing on both. You cant just discount those two aspects of the game. Which u consistently do.

So far this year it looks completly different. They are dominant at ES. Even the WPG game we played great and Helly was just amazing for them. Now can they sustain it? Who knows. I believe they can because now we have two RW on the top two lines who look like they belong there. Unlike last year.

Depends what u define as elite. But he is def in the top 10 conversation. Most likely in the 8-10 spot.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I know you REALLY want them to bust because that's all you have to look forward to, but it's not about a hot streak, it's about how they're playing and they're being much more assertive than they have been outside of the playoffs last year and are playing much better. They're #1 and #2 overall picks chances are they are going to be good even if they won't be Crosby and Malkin (which they won't). But yeah, continue wishing that they'll be complete busts so that you can root for your favorite team (whoever plays the Rangers).

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You keep bringing up ES stats. We were bad last year at ES as a team lat year. Not just one player. The entire team. Not sure why, but nothing was clicking. On any of the 4 lines. So of course his stats werent great at ES. Nobody’s was on the Rangers. Maybe it was just getting used to Gallant. Maybe it was the defense not transitioning well. Maybe it was bc our RWs were black holes.

But they were great on PP and PK. and Zib was amazing on both. You cant just discount those two aspects of the game. Which u consistently do.

So far this year it looks completly different. They are dominant at ES. Even the WPG game we played great and Helly was just amazing for them. Now can they sustain it? Who knows. I believe they can because now we have two RW on the top two lines who look like they belong there. Unlike last year.

Depends what u define as elite. But he is def in the top 10 conversation. Most likely in the 8-10 spot.
I disagree. Elite centers aren't held back at ES like that. He's never been a great ES scorer, and it's an important part of the game, one that I put a lot of weight into.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I know you REALLY want them to bust because that's all you have to look forward to, but it's not about a hot streak, it's about how they're playing and they're being much more assertive than they have been outside of the playoffs last year and are playing much better. They're #1 and #2 overall picks chances are they are going to be good even if they won't be Crosby and Malkin (which they won't). But yeah, continue wishing that they'll be complete busts so that you can root for your favorite team (whoever plays the Rangers).
Don’t get defensive. The same logic that says you shouldn’t make sweeping declarations about anything after four games, similarly applies to “how they’re playing”. They played (mostly Lafreniere) well over a handful of games last season too. But yeah, if you want to take a leap on an early victory lap, I’m all for it. That’s never burned anyone before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad