The New York Rangers are a perfectly built team this year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa Shark

Sep 1, 2009
Jersey
One of Zib's greatest strengths is his one timer from the circle. Wonder why he produces so much on the PP? This is a bad thing. Good teams don't have good powerplays

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
You either are being intellectually dishonest or are ignorant of Mika's usage throughout his career as most of the guys you are comparing him to above have been on the PP units for there teams throughout their careers, for Mika not so much in Ottawa.

What is telling is when you look at his coring finishes with the NYR his totals finishes are way higher than his ES finishes and his PP usage is more dependant for him getting results.

Heck he isn't even a top 15 center for me and I like him as a player.

Ok as a Ranger he scores 35% of his pts on the PP… a whopping 3% difference from his overall of 32%. Doesnt really change the narrative much.

Per year on rangers starting with 16-17:
30%, 45%, 31%, 36%, 28%, 35% and 63% in the 4 games this year.

So there were two outlier years… which if u exclude both would bring us back to 33%.

Last edited:

Smash

Dec 19, 2006
This reminds me of all the Fox threads to start last season then the Rangers and Fox settled down.

Heck there are 8 teams without a regulation loss and the NYR isn't one of them and Igor looks kind of mortal as well.

I guess after they beat powerhouses in San Jose and Columbus Ranger fans can plan the parade route.
Settled down to being one of the best defensemen in the game?

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I simply do not see any weaknesses in the Rangers roster this season, they are solid in every department. In my mind they are the best team in the East and only the Avs match them.

Vezina winning goalie in Shestyorkin

Norris winning defender in Fox

Elite 1C in Zibanejad

Elite 1W in Panarin

Great 2C in Trocheck

50 goal scorer in Kreider

Big physical presence in Blais, Reeves, Trouba

Elite young players in Lafreniere, Kakko, Kravtsov

Deadly power play and solid penalty kill

Great coaching by Gallant
So what's the excuse when they don't win the chip?

All the advantages in the world.........

Salsa Shark

Sep 1, 2009
Jersey
“perfect” is over the top for sure but so far the high end young players are really stepping up this year and I think most people agreed that if that happened they’d be a very dangerous group
I think that any time you don't obviously regress in a cap world it's a huge win.
So what's the excuse when they don't win the chip?

All the advantages in the world.........
It will be a disappointment if that's the case. It is cup or bust this year for the NYR

Reactions: haveandare

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Rangers bottom 6 is among the worst in the league. They regularly play AHLers in Goodrow/Reaves/Vesey, and often in the top 9 because they have nothing else to use there. I would actually say the opposite of “perfectly built” is being one injury away from having TWO of Barclay Goodrow, Jimmy Vesey, and Sammy Blais in your top 9. Also their 7th D is Libor Hajek…One of the worst defenseman in the NHL. Horrible

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Top 6 = Very good

Bottom 6 = average

Dcore = good but not much beyond Fox/Trouba/Miller

Goaltending = very good

Coaching = good

Overall they’re definitely one of the better teams in the East and a Cup run is possible.

But “perfect” ?!?! LOL….ur joking right?

They could use some added depth at the TDL, just like last season when they added Copp, Motte, etc.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Zibanejad has never and very likely will never win a major award and Panarin’s only award was the Calder.

Zibanejad is a good 1C but you’re being insanely generous with the word “elite” if you think he is “elite”.
If you don't think Zibanejad is an elite player then I'm not sure what to tell you. He's as complete of an NHL center as they come.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
There is alot to like.

It's such a small sample size to really gain anything from it.

Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider and Trocheck make up a very formidable one third of the forward group.

What we have gotten from Lafreniere, Kakko, Chytil, while early, will be a HUGE boost to the team should that continue and the confidence these guys are showing makes me believe it will continue.

Goodrow, Blais are responsible players that will chip in here and there.

I like that top 9. A lot.

Hunt, Carpenter and Vesey make up a very serviceable 4th line.

I don't think Lindgren gets enough respect here has his play, IMHO, allows Fox to play a more comfortable game thus making him more dangerous.

Miller will continue to get better and nastier.

The 3rd pairing of Jones and Schneider are solid as well and will continue to get better.

I believe all of the components are there

Solid depth down the middle. Check
A good and mobile defense. Check
A goalie that can steal games (and series). Check
Great to good wingers that compliment the centers. Check.

All of that said, it's still under 5% into the season and what we are today may not be what we are to end the season.

A long 6.5 months ahead with a ton of ups and downs to go through

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Also, I don't think the OP stated that they were a perfect team.

Perfectly built in that they have all of the required components needed to contend for a cup.

The teams that have a top 10 center, top 5 player, top 3 defender, top 2-3 goalie and very good support are few and far between.

Doesn't mean that can't or won't lose

Reactions: Rangers ftw

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Rangers bottom 6 is among the worst in the league. They regularly play AHLers in Goodrow/Reaves/Vesey, and often in the top 9 because they have nothing else to use there. I would actually say the opposite of “perfectly built” is being one injury away from having TWO of Barclay Goodrow, Jimmy Vesey, and Sammy Blais in your top 9. Also their 7th D is Libor Hajek…One of the worst defenseman in the NHL. Horrible

Goodrow an AHLer…?

b0416a745f58eb688b8d226ef14bb704.jpg

Most teams 7th dmen is ass. Vesey is a solid penalty killing 4th liner. Blais, when healthy, is a very good 3rd liner.

Reaves won’t play as much this year if we’re healthy. He’s still a wrecking ball when he does though.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Goodrow isn't an AHL level player. He's fine on a third line. They are missing a good RW which is why Laf moved to the right, but their current third line is pretty solid analytically (I think it'll just lack some scoring punch as currently constructed unless Blais stays healthy and finds some offense)
Their 4th line is eh, but not really important.

who cares who the 7th d is, most teams don't have a good 7th d. most teams don't just have quality players sitting on the bench in reserve in case a current player gets injured. Injuries always test depth for every team.

The Rangers have a lot going for them but it's still going to come down to being able to execute when it matters (defensively and offensively) and some luck.

As for Zibanejad,...I dunno, dude can get as hot as anyone in this league. He has the talent to score 50 goals and can dish out assists just as well. He's just always had some inconsistencies, like the past couple of years starting extremely slowly, and I'm always worried he's going to get injured for a stretch.

That said...I dunno, he's flying out there right now, he's a constant threat. And as mentioned, Kakko has turned that line into a more dominant puck possession line. Previously Zibanejad and Kreider relied too much on plays off the rush I think, but they've been able to cycle the puck and generate chances that way much more effectively so far with Kakko on board.

e: Guess I'm saying that Zibanejad is one of those players who when he's hot is absolutely an elite C. For various reasons he hasn't quite been able to play that way a full season though, so on the whole yeah I'm not going to argue about how elite he is or isn't. His big test going forward will be how well he can sustain this kind of play he has going right now, how quickly he gets through slumps (because every player has them) and how he'll perform in the playoffs. His playoff performance last year was hopefully a sign of a big step forward for him in his confidence and ability to keep up a high level of play.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Ok as a Ranger he scores 35% of his pts on the PP… a whopping 3% difference from his overall of 32%. Doesnt really change the narrative much.

Per year on rangers starting with 16-17:
30%, 45%, 31%, 36%, 28%, 35% and 63% in the 4 games this year.

So there were two outlier years… which if u exclude both would bring us back to 33%.

You are still missing the point, , other players have much better ES/PP points ratios.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I’m surprised they don’t get more hype. They’ve got the goalie, the #1D and the elite offensive talent. The defense is still young, but the Rags aren’t even a dark horse, they made the conference finals last year. Legit threat imo.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Kakko might be the most underrated young player in the league
He had the misfortune of being kept in the NHL when he would have been better served with another year overseas or maybe an AHL year to work on his offensive game. On HF a slow start can often mean no future at all to a decent number of fans. He was always likely to figure it out even if he isn't going to be a top of the league guy.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I’m surprised they don’t get more hype. They’ve got the goalie, the #1D and the elite offensive talent. The defense is still young, but the Rags aren’t even a dark horse, they made the conference finals last year. Legit threat imo.

Well, as a big market team and just the fact that they're the Rangers, any hype at all is overhype according to most here ;)

That said, they need to establish themselves and prove that last years run wasn't a fluke, and that they can improve on their frankly mediocre 5v5 numbers from last year (mediocre putting it nicely). You're only really hyped when you've been at a high level for a long time or you've proven you can do it. Avs were probably called overrated for how many years until they managed to win it last year?

Anyways, early signs for the Rangers this year are encouraging at least.

Reactions: Ruggs225
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad