The New York Rangers are a perfectly built team this year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Very good team with some great players but given Ranger history there is always something that bites them during the season. Ratelle & Nilsson’s broken ankles, to name two. Thus, I’m thinking it will be 2048 before the next one.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
They're gonna win a lot of games. They remind me of TB with a top 5 player at G, D and W and a top 10 1C to boot. On paper I think they may be the favourites this year they just have more to prove on the ice similar to the Avs recently.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I simply do not see any weaknesses in the Rangers roster this season, they are solid in every department. In my mind they are the best team in the East and only the Avs match them.

Vezina winning goalie in Shestyorkin

Norris winning defender in Fox

Elite 1C in Zibanejad

Elite 1W in Panarin

Great 2C in Trocheck

50 goal scorer in Kreider

Big physical presence in Blais, Reeves, Trouba

Elite young players in Lafreniere, Kakko, Kravtsov

Deadly power play and solid penalty kill

Great coaching by Gallant
They are my pick from the East to go to the finals.

I am rarely right so your assessment is probably off, too.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Goodrow isn't an AHL level player. He's fine on a third line. They are missing a good RW which is why Laf moved to the right, but their current third line is pretty solid analytically (I think it'll just lack some scoring punch as currently constructed unless Blais stays healthy and finds some offense)
Their 4th line is eh, but not really important.

who cares who the 7th d is, most teams don't have a good 7th d. most teams don't just have quality players sitting on the bench in reserve in case a current player gets injured. Injuries always test depth for every team.

The Rangers have a lot going for them but it's still going to come down to being able to execute when it matters (defensively and offensively) and some luck.

As for Zibanejad,...I dunno, dude can get as hot as anyone in this league. He has the talent to score 50 goals and can dish out assists just as well. He's just always had some inconsistencies, like the past couple of years starting extremely slowly, and I'm always worried he's going to get injured for a stretch.

That said...I dunno, he's flying out there right now, he's a constant threat. And as mentioned, Kakko has turned that line into a more dominant puck possession line. Previously Zibanejad and Kreider relied too much on plays off the rush I think, but they've been able to cycle the puck and generate chances that way much more effectively so far with Kakko on board.

e: Guess I'm saying that Zibanejad is one of those players who when he's hot is absolutely an elite C. For various reasons he hasn't quite been able to play that way a full season though, so on the whole yeah I'm not going to argue about how elite he is or isn't. His big test going forward will be how well he can sustain this kind of play he has going right now, how quickly he gets through slumps (because every player has them) and how he'll perform in the playoffs. His playoff performance last year was hopefully a sign of a big step forward for him in his confidence and ability to keep up a high level of play.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Id be careful on how you use Elite

Zibanejad numbers since the 19-20 season.

14th league-wide in points
8th league-wide in goals
3rd league-wide in power play goals
1st league-wide in short handed points
7th league-wide in playoff points per game (min 20 games played)

Oh, and he finished 15th in Selke voting last season.

Zibanejad. Is. Elite.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Zibanejad numbers since the 19-20 season.

14th league-wide in points
8th league-wide in goals
3rd league-wide in power play goals
1st league-wide in short handed points
7th league-wide in playoff points per game (min 20 games played)

Oh, and he finished 15th in Selke voting last season.

Zibanejad. Is. Elite.
Zibby is elite at this point. Man is deadly and a problemo for the Eastern conference

took Colorado several years of being the best team in the league before they even got past the 2nd round
truth no doubt. Tough to win consistently in the spring time.

RangerFanInMKE

Nov 2, 2020
I’ve heard this for going on three years now.

“Watch him play, he looks elite”.

Then you see he’s playing at a 30pt pace and is at times scratched.

You don’t draft a guy 2nd overall to get a meh defensive third line guy.

Until he starts producing, he’s come nowhere close to his draft status… which would make him a bust

This thread is dumb, but this is a terrible take.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Do you, or do you not, think a 30pt pace, and scratched in the playoffs, is good for a 2nd overall pick who was supposed to be NHL ready?
Agree. Its too early to call him a bust though imo. Lets see how he does this season on the first line. He needs to put up 50-60 ES pts in that scenario to live up to his draft status.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Their most elite forward, their captain and their Norris defender are all there not cause NYR is a well-managed, well-built team, but cause NYR is NYR.
Chicken vs. Egg - how does it work?

Tell me how is being in NYC working out for the NY Knicks? I'm sure LeBron is coming to play for us any second now lol.

My lame attempt at sarcasm didn’t translate - my overarching point is that some want to penalize the rangers for being a lethal pp team. They’re not getting any more chances than other teams, just capitalizing
Oh my bad. Gotcha

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Agree. Its too early to call him a bust though imo. Lets see how he does this season on the first line. He needs to put up 50-60 ES pts in that scenario to live up to his draft status.

Guess how many second overall picks put up 50+ EV points last season?

One. Aleksander Barkov. When he was 21, he posted 37 EV points in 61 games, about a 50 EV point pace.

Even Svechnikov, Reinhart, Laine were below that barometer last season.

I’d like to see 40+ EV points from Kakko this season, 50+ overall. That would be living up the the hype of a typical 2nd overall. If he played PP1, I’d expect production in the 65-70 point range.

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
*checks in on perfectly built team*

1666567785792.gif

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Lafreniere 3 points in 6 games (3rd season)
Kakko 2 points in 6 games (4th season)

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad